Bike Trainer Help

The Kalmyk

I'm in the market for a trainer for those cold rainy days. The trainer would have to have a good locking system to keep the bike sturdy and a good tensioner to the tire that won't loosen over time. Whatever other components of a trainer I did not mention please fire away. Oh yeah, preferably nothing with a computer or electronics. I have a computer on my bike already.

Thanks Spence

syadasti

Wet Rag
I suggest rollers as they give a more comprehensive training session working your core muscles/balance and requiring maintaining good form.

They take a few sessions in a doorway or next to wall when you first use them. Eventually you can try trackstands, out of the saddle, and no hands. No hands is much harder than anything else.

edit: I have these Al rollers: http://www.harborcountrybike.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WT7036&click=2

Eventually you can ride one handed in sandals and photograph yourself

rollinmotionblur.jpg

Last edited:

BiknBen

Spencer the Kalmyk said:
The trainer would have to have a good locking system to keep the bike sturdy

All new trainers are going to provide a sturdy connection to the bike. I doubt that would be a concern. Some may be easier/quicker but they will all hold it tight.

Spencer the Kalmyk said:
...and a good tensioner to the tire that won't loosen over time.

I'm not sure I understand. Any trainer is adjustable to accommodate difference wheel sizes. The resistance unit is often held to the tire with a spring or adjustable knob. I've not heard of a situation that you describe.

FWIW, I bought a cheapo Magnetic resistance trainer over ten years ago. It is not pretty but it does an acceptable job. Currently, the best trainers allow you to quickly and securely mount the bike, are ultra-smooth, and quiet. How much of that you want will determine the price.

The Kalmyk

Sorry wasn't to clear:eek:....I want multiple resistant settings (ie hill climbing)...

Syadasti...You had to throw that in there didn't ya;)...Thatnks for the option I'll take a close look at the rollers...I like the "keep a good form" idea...

Walt...Can't you come up with something cheaper;)...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Screw trainers...I'm just gonna' start going to spin classes again this week...the scenery is better :D

THATmanMANNY

I have a blackburn mag trainer with three manual settings and the gears will accomodate for all the resistance I need. Good hold & inexpensive. However, I have tried rollers b4 and I will admit that it does give you a better workout but something about accidently flying off & into a wall doesn't sit too well with me. IMO you have to ride pretty stiff and keep looking ahead. On the trainer I just like to lax and pop in a movie and wipe some sweat off here and there. You already worry about riding road outside. Why worry about riding inside :rolleyes:

Screw trainers...I'm just gonna' start going to spin classes again this week...the scenery is better :D

only on the good days ;)

antgold

question - how are those trainers paired with mountain bikes ?
all the photos I see road bike is mounted
Is kenda rear tier will cause the trainer to vibrate ?

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I have a MTB mounted on the Cyclops now.
More than anything, you'll get more noise from the knobbys.
So you'll have to blast your Rocky theme song a little more while riding it.
I'll be looking for a slick tire for mine.;)

Top Bottom