Bike Trainer Help

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Now that I have a road bike, I have to use it a little...As of now I look at it as excercise more than enjoyable...On the mtb I look it as an excercise and enjoyable

So you are going to get a trainer? As you have noticed I am not the trainer type (at least currently) but from the couple times I did ride one, they are all exercise and lack even more of the enjoyable aspect....Do these rainy days include sunny days with a newborn?

BiknBen

question - how are those trainers paired with mountain bikes ?
all the photos I see road bike is mounted
Is kenda rear tier will cause the trainer to vibrate ?

You can use a mountain bike but I would advise that you use a cheap slick tire. As someone noted, knobby tires will be noisy and will wear quickly. I suspect the vibration would also make your lower half numb. :eek:

BiknBen

I suggest rollers as they give a more comprehensive training session working your core muscles/balance and requiring maintaining good form.

While rollers do have a place in the basement, I would suggest getting a trainer first. A trainer is more versatile for various types of workouts. They are also cheaper, easier to use, etc.

I have a trainer and rollers. Both have their place but you have to start somewhere.

The Kalmyk

So you are going to get a trainer? As you have noticed I am not the trainer type (at least currently) but from the couple times I did ride one, they are all exercise and lack even more of the enjoyable aspect....Do these rainy days include sunny days with a newborn?

Rainy days only...I'm commuting into wiork now (three days a week)...If one of these days is raining, I'm driving in

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

Do you think rollers would suit him a bit better considering he is riding a SS? Bc of this, I dont think you will be able to take advantage of the trainer. Plus you will live life dangerously on the rollers!

BiknBen

Do you think rollers would suit him a bit better considering he is riding a SS? Bc of this, I don't think you will be able to take advantage of the trainer.

Spence, All you got is a SS roadie? That does make things a little more interesting. You may want to look at the type of trainer with a remote to vary the resistance while you ride.

Just to be clear, most trainers have variable resistance. Today's better trainers vary the resistance based on the speed of the rear wheel. The faster the wheel spins, the greater the resistance. You want a harder workout? Shift up and increase the speed of the rear wheel.

If you only have one gear, you are limiting the resistance with this type of trainer. This could be a problem for you Spence. Not easy to explain on a forum.

Some cheaper/older trainers have an option to increase the resistance with a remote dial, like a shifter. I have one of these. I keep the trainer at the highest level of resistance and use the bike's gears to fine tune the pain. :getsome:

Let me know if you'd like to borrow mine.

J-Dro

Spence, on an SS you are a perfect candidate for ellbiddy's new virtual reality trainer due out any day now.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
You could get the new SuperMagneto Pro from Cycleops. It has a 4-way adjustable resistance thingy. On the hardest setting, it's tough to get the wheel spinning in your granny gear:D

-Jim.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i was going to get a trainer but decided that it was cheaper just to borrow my neighbor's again this year. i also decided that when i decided not to get a trainer that i was going to build the SS retro-raleigh cx-ish thingy so that on nasty days i'd have something to ride...so i wouldn't have to ride the trainer. i'm going to be stuck on that thing soon enough (mid-jan the wife is due) so i don't want it to get on it any sooner than i have to.

on that note, anyone have a decent volume of audio books on cd that i could borrow?

oh, sorry spence i didn't answer: i was going to pull the trigger on a cycleops fluid. check the local listings on craigs before you lay out the cash. there are usually one or two floating around that people give up on. there are always WAY more in mid-feb when people REALLY bail on then new years resolutions...

Last edited:
Top Bottom