Bike shops can still operate with closed / locked doors.

TimBay

90% of the people out there buy 150mm bikes to ride 6-Mile. At what point do you stop stocking 29er hardtails even though it's the right bike almost all the time? I sell 150mm bikes for people to ride on the fucking road, ain't care.
What makes a 29er HT the "right bike"? Sure, the pedaling is more efficient, but it's more work getting through minor stuff. When climbing at any decent speed I find myself having to really move around a lot for any root over 2" or my rear slams into my ass and I have to wonder if I dented a wheel. Seems like you can just pedal through that on a FS. But I dont really know much about anything, so I'm genuinely curious.

jimvreeland

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
What makes a 29er HT the "right bike"? Sure, the pedaling is more efficient, but it's more work getting through minor stuff. When climbing at any decent speed I find myself having to really move around a lot for any root over 2" or my rear slams into my ass and I have to wonder if I dented a wheel. Seems like you can just pedal through that on a FS. But I dont really know much about anything, so I'm genuinely curious.
This is why I only stock 150mm bikes ;)

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
For the same reason that people skin to the top of a ski mountain instead of taking the lift, ride single-speeds, and still use flip phones. You kids have it too easy, you need to harden the F'up!

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
B
But what's the advantage to a HT for an enthusiast? Please, I'd love to save money riding a HT. Just seems like FS is more comfy and fun to ride.
I find the Hardtail is a bit more predictable as the rear suspension doesn't move around. Plus climbing is way more efficient. It doesn't have a raked out fork so it turns better in a place like 6 mile.

If I'm doing 6 Mile, Allaire, Lewis Morris, Tourne, Stewart, etc, it's pretty much always the hardtail unless it's a much longer ride where I'm getting beaten up on rocks/roots and the singlespeed aspect wears me down.

It may not even be faster, but it is more "fun" at some places. But I wouldn't want it as my only bike. I don't prefer it on rocks/tech.

jimvreeland

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Taking this a bit more off topic...same thing in cars regarding the manual transmission. No longer the fastest, but darn more fun!
So, I'm in the market for a new car and have been having a hell of time finding a 6-Speed. Actually, if anyone is bored, I'm specifically looking for a 5th Gen 1LE SS Camaro in Black with under 50k on it. I found a white one that will work if I have to, but can hold out for a couple weeks to find Black.

Last edited:

Tim

aka sptimmy43
B
But what's the advantage to a HT for an enthusiast? Please, I'd love to save money riding a HT. Just seems like FS is more comfy and fun to ride.
Come back and answer this question yourself in 2 years.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
So, I'm in the market for a new car and have been having a hell of time finding a 6-Speed. Actually, if anyone is bored, I'm specifically looking for a 6th Gen 1LE SS Camaro in Black with under 50k on it. I found a white one that will work if I have to, but can hold out for a couple weeks to find Black.
Wait.

What?