Bike shops can still operate with closed / locked doors.

mtbiker87

Growing up in queens ny in the 80s, you were a rich kid if you had a mongoose.
Wasnt much different in the northern passaic county suburbs. My first not homemade BMX was some Kent BSO (BMX Shaped Object) from Jamesway, that seemed to me like the real deal. Until saved all my odd job money to buy my buddies Supergoose so I could start racing.

Last edited:

mtbiker87

I remember one of the shops running their radio ads during school snow closings reports! Maybe Denville Cycle? Or Dover?
perfect place to put them - ya didn't walk away from the radio at the time!
@extremedave's area.
Yup. There was big Schwinn dealer in Denville right before the main drag merged onto 46 west. I used to make my dad stop there so I could buy BMX crap on the way to taking the family to the Rockaway Mall. Wow....that was a long freak'n time ago ! I'm old !

JonF

Wasnt much defernet in the northern passaic county suburbs. First not homemade BMX was some Kent BSO (BMX Shaped Object) from Jamesway, that seemed to me like the real deal. Untill saved all my odd job money to buy my buddies Supergoose so I could start racing.
After I was mugged by two older teens in the school parking lot for my chrome Schwinn predator, my next bike was the same shitty Jamesway Kent. After that one was stolen off the back porch, I was relegated to my own two feet for years to come. ?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pffft
What's a BMX, cool bike were modded out chopper stingrays with a stick shift 3spd or latest craze drop bar 10spds. 10 was better then 3 right. Saved my yard and farm money and got me a $149 schwinn varsity from Newton schwinn. That bike was a life line where I lived. Some of the most memorable moments. I remember every detail of that bike which is how remember the price.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
After I was mugged by two older teens in the school parking lot for my chrome Schwinn predator, my next bike was the same shitty Jamesway Kent. After that one was stolen off the back porch, I was relegated to my own two feet for years to come. ?
Did you then start collecting knives, axes, swords and other large pieces of sharp metal? ?

JonF

Did you then start collecting knives, axes, swords and other large pieces of sharp metal? ?
As a 10 y/o, my access to bladed weapons was somewhat limited. Though I did manage to convince my folks to buy a Rambo style survival knife from Harry's Army Navy complete with matches and compass in the handle! Though being in downtown Trenton, finding a dropped Jennings or Lorcin back in the alley was an easier bet.

ilnadi

@jdog was right, listed my 2008 MY hardtail on fb marketplace, sold in 26 hours for asking price, had about 2 dozen messages asking about it, i may have sold it to the only really interested buyer, but hey, i got cash in my pocket!
which marketplace are you using?

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
As a 10 y/o, my access to bladed weapons was somewhat limited. Though I did manage to convince my folks to buy a Rambo style survival knife from Harry's Army Navy complete with matches and compass in the handle! Though being in downtown Trenton, finding a dropped Jennings or Lorcin back in the alley was an easier bet.
In the early ‘70s, the local h/w store in EHC would have all their lower end shotguns and rifles chained up, on display in a barrel in the aisle. The large sharp cutlery was hanging up by the shelves. But that was long before anyone put compasses in the handle of anything.

I was there because they sold the 26” Carlisle diamond block knobies for our klunkers. Carlisle 26” what we all rolled on.

Last edited:

Jmann

I went as Rambo for Halloween as a kid. Complete with my real rambo survival knife and a life size all black m16. And of course his jade pendant. This was a time when kids toys looks like this:
8B28AA7E-0037-4B91-8316-9C609595F1C8.jpeg

And Entertech water guns:

They went a bit overboard in the 80s. I guess they were preparing us for the inevitable Cold War.

Johnny Utah

I went as Rambo for Halloween as a kid. Complete with my real rambo survival knife and a life size all black m16. And of course his jade pendant. This was a time when kids toys looks like this:View attachment 127858
And Entertech water guns:

They went a bit overboard in the 80s. I guess they were preparing us for the inevitable Cold War.
Wait, were you the child fighter he gave it to before he left Afghanistan?

JonF

In the early ‘70s, the local h/w store in EHC would have all their lower end shotguns and rifles chained up, on display in a barrel in the aisle. The large sharp cutlery was hanging up by the shelves. But that was long before anyone put compasses in the handle of anything.

I was there because they sold the 26” Carlisle diamond block knobies for our klunkers. Carlisle 26” what we all rolled on.
There used to be a gun store in NNJ that specialized in antique (WWI and WWII) firearms, surplus, and all sorts of historic military relics. They also used to have the bulk of things chained up on racks in the middle of the store like Cabelas does so you fondle them all while breathing in the heady aroma of Cosmoline. So many cool old relics up there before NJ forced them out.