Bike shops can still operate with closed / locked doors.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I just got a response from the office of the Governor.

This is their response as how we may legally operate:

“Bicycle shops in New Jersey can stay open for service and repair only during their normal business hours. Retail portions of those establishments are not permitted to operate under Executive Order 107.”

Chief of Staff
Office of the Governor

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
So you couldn't even take take a phone order at this point and drop off the item at the customers home? Retail is flat out not permitted?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
It took me all of yesterday to get what I did out of the government. It was of course on a Sunday.

As of now, I’d send me a PM if you want to purchase something.
Certain shops are advertising that they are allowed to sell out of their warehouse for home delivery. Not sure what the difference is if we sell out of a locked store and ship or deliver.

jdog

Shop Keep
Permission forgiveness.
Exactly what Norm said.

I’ve also heard that some tons are issuing heavy fines if businesses operate outside the scope of the Government mandate.

I’m not eager to pay a big fine so I’m going to use the ruling as it reads.

That said, if someone calls me and says they want some repair work done and it includes various new parts, I must comply. Percentage new may vary.

609-924-7433.

jimvreeland

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Delivery is still allowed. So someone can call, buy a bike over the phone, and then you can bring it to their house. We just happen to be set up to that anyway but for some shops it's not easy. I expect the Summit folk to smash the door in when they see us in the store working.

Also, how do people pick up their repairs? Also, also, is selling parts to put on a bike considered retail? Also also also, if buying a bike a cheaper than a repair and they buy a bike is it retail or service? Also also also also, what if you just put all new bike sales through the work order screen?

This is gonna be a huge clusterfuck. After a 60 hour week last week I was kinda hoping to be shut down for a bit.

Mathers

This is all so confusing. We technically have a retail showroom which is "closed" but I am going to clients houses and selling so wtf is the difference.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This is all so confusing. We technically have a retail showroom which is "closed" but I am going to clients houses and selling so wtf is the difference.
my guess:

it is a doorknob problem.

chances you are sick, and bring it to all of them, vs
the chances that one of the customers is sick (ie 10 customers = 10x the chance),
and they drop it off for everyone else to catch.

You can also keep a reasonable distance in a 1-1 situation, as opposed to strolling around retail
with other strollers who might not be as careful.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's also the big issue that there's a ton of assholes willing to go window shop increasing the amount of foot traffic. I've heard how Target is just kids running around and Home Depot is old people buying new knobs for their cabinets. You'll get the same at bike shops.

I was mentioning how Trader Joe's had a long line with everyone being 6 feet apart, nice and orderly. I'm sure Jay's shop was different because everyone's friendly and talking while congregating outside as it's all bikers. And it's bikes not food.

jimvreeland

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
If they come in a buy a new bike and I install a water bottle cage, is it a Sale or Service?

jdog

Shop Keep
Delivery is still allowed. So someone can call, buy a bike over the phone, and then you can bring it to their house. We just happen to be set up to that anyway but for some shops it's not easy. I expect the Summit folk to smash the door in when they see us in the store working.

Also, how do people pick up their repairs? Also, also, is selling parts to put on a bike considered retail? Also also also, if buying a bike a cheaper than a repair and they buy a bike is it retail or service? Also also also also, what if you just put all new bike sales through the work order screen?

This is gonna be a huge clusterfuck. After a 60 hour week last week I was kinda hoping to be shut down for a bit.
If they come in a buy a new bike and I install a water bottle cage, is it a Sale or Service?
service. no question.. Better yet, they can bring in their old bottle cage and you can service it with a nece new bike underneath.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Nice to know it's business as usual for my customers. On Saturday everyone was upset they might not be able to get their bike serviced. Now that they are done. "They will try to get them over the weekend."

jdog

Shop Keep
Nice to know it's business as usual for my customers. On Saturday everyone was upset they might not be able to get their bike serviced. Now that they are done. "They will try to get them over the weekend."
thats gonna suck for them when the national guard is patrolling the streets and they can’t get their bikes for 2 months.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
have they paid via electronic means to minimize contact?

be safe