Bike selection help.

R

Rooster00

I am trying to get back into biking after about a 3 or 4 year absence and think its time to upgrade my bike.
I am trying to keep it in the $900 dollar range and these are the bikes I have been looking at.

Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 6500 and the Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc.
Does anyone have an opion on these choices or can they recommend something I might be missing. I am told to try and avoid Mechanical Disc breaks and go for hydrolic, is a low end Hydrolic Disc break really going to make a differance(benefits???)
I am also considering an 07 Trek Fuel EX 6 cause I can get a good deal on one. More then I wanted to spend but thought maybe a FS might be a good option. I mostly ride Allamuchy and Ringwood so is a FS really needed?

Thanks for any help.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I would say your budget is very close to getting an entry level full-suspension, and that rear squish could really make the difference in terms of enjoying a technical trail ride. Especially since you name Ringwood and Allamuchy, 2 of the tougher parks around. (I can do them on a hardtail, but I have way more fun (and am faster) on a dualie there.) Check 07 closeouts at all your local shops. Usually you can get a full-suspension bike for around 1400, and maybe there's an 06 or 07 leftover for a grand. As for brakes specifically, there's nothing wrong with mechanical disc brakes at all. Simple and easy to work on. Hydros are lighter and have better "feel" and modulation, so if you've got the option, go for the hydros, but I wouldn't let it factor in too much.

You're in Bergen (like me and others)? Definitely stop by Campmor on 17 as well as Piermont, Cyclesport, Westwood and other places nearby. Lots of them have leftovers and if the fit is right you could get a kick ass dualie for cheap.

J

JD!

Hey man!

I was just on a couple of weeks ago asking the same questions. I've been doing a lot of researche and found that you may want to up your price range just a little bid to get something decent. I was just at allendale bike and they were helpful

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
if you check in the for sale section, you'll see a lovely trek ex7 in the 17.5 in flavor for sale for $1,000. full suspension, well maintained and lots of upgraded parts. wonder who could be selling it? :hmmm: :D

xc62701

I would definitely try to spend a little extra $$$ to get something that will be nice and last. Look for a good frame with lower components rather than a good bunch of components and a crappy frame. You can always upgrade componentry but a little rougher upgrading components. I LOVE my hardtails. I'm one of the few that really does though. Most go for FS but I think I have the ability to work a HT like a FS and not get beat up as badly. I love the more responsive feel, the quicker acceleration, better climbing and lighter bike. The FS definitely has it's place though. Your best bet is to ride them all and see what fits you the best. I'd suggest going to Campmor in Paramus and checking out what's in the back room by the tents. They have all the '07 Konas on DEEP discounts. You may just find what you're looking for there.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
if you check in the for sale section, you'll see a lovely trek ex7 in the 17.5 in flavor for sale for $1,000. full suspension, well maintained and lots of upgraded parts. wonder who could be selling it? :hmmm: :D
Spam alert- call the mod squad.:p

In all seriousness, that bike looks like a really good deal, and a new hardtail for the same price won't come close.

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
My vote:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8FS294.html

-29er
-Hydros
-Made in the USA (same frame used on the $2600 version)
-Black (is beeutiful)
-WTB Prowler tires
-SRAM shifting..etc

Not bad for the money. The fork is so so but no worse than the other stuff out there for 1G.

Good luck. Don't overlook the 29" wheeled bikes as a viable option. They are not suspension but they seem to ride smoother than the same bike in 26".

J_

R

Rooster00

Thanks for everyones help. I went to Campmor today and fell for the Kona Kikapu Deluxe. Didn't really check out any hardtails while I was there.

All the reviews I have read on the Kikapu Deluxe have been real good, anyone have any experience with it or ride a kona??? Is an 18" too small for someone 6'??

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
Generally, knowing that you're 6', I would go right to the large or in this case the 19" or 20" for the initial sizing. Then again, it might work. I would hedge a guess though that it would feel a little short across the toptube for you. Maybe you should ask for a second opinion from someone there. I just looked at the geometry and a 23" toptube is what is on the 18". That's pretty short.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Thanks for everyones help. I went to Campmor today and fell for the Kona Kikapu Deluxe. Didn't really check out any hardtails while I was there.

All the reviews I have read on the Kikapu Deluxe have been real good, anyone have any experience with it or ride a kona??? Is an 18" too small for someone 6'??

Kona doesn't change their design every year or so like other companies, which is good from the angle that they tweak an already proven design instead of adopting trendy technology. As for size, you need to ride it (they'll let you take it into the parking lot for a spin) but unless you have a really short torso, I would think the 19" or 20" frame would be better for you. As noted, a 23" Top Tube (the best number to go by when sizing) is probably best for a guy five eight to five ten.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Agreed. I am 5'9 and ride a medium trance with a 23" tt. If I dropped down to a 16", it would be too cramped.

R

Rooster00

Well great, then lets hope they have a 19 or 20" around that I didn't see. I really love that bike now.

walter

Fourth Party
Well great, then lets hope they have a 19 or 20" around that I didn't see. I really love that bike now.

Don't settle for something if its the wrong size just because you like it. I'm sure if its not in stock it can be had within a few days.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Don't settle for something if its the wrong size just because you like it. I'm sure if its not in stock it can be had within a few days.

Word. I've had 2 bikes that were the wrong size and nothing is more frustrating. Campmor also has a couple Ironhorse Azure and MK III leftovers, don't they? I ride an Azure and it's veddy nice.

Call every shop and give them the straight dope -- the type of bike you want, the TT length (approximately 23.5), and your budget.

R

Rooster00

I wouldn't settle for a bike the wrong size, which is why I'm hoping they have a 19 or 20. The only Azures, and MK III I noticed were way over my budget. RSCycle.com has the Azure Sport for $1099 but I would rather buy from a LBS.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
I wouldn't settle for a bike the wrong size, which is why I'm hoping they have a 19 or 20. The only Azures, and MK III I noticed were way over my budget. RSCycle.com has the Azure Sport for $1099 but I would rather buy from a LBS.

Some ideas that Town Cycle can offer:
Trek Fuel Ex 6 '07 19.5" 1000 was 1300
Gary Fisher Supercaliber '07 19" 1300 was 2100
Trek Remedy 6 '07 19.5" 1300 was 2200

The pricepoint you're working with is tough. Definitely look around and see what's out there. Make some calls too. I wouldn't recommend mail order on bikes for the fact that you don't get any service on the bike, nor is it tuned and assembled properly.
Happy Hunting!!!

xc62701

Are you asking about that size because that was the only one on the floor? Did you ask about what they have in stock? They usually have a bunch in the back. Next time you go in ask for Tahir, Jeff, or Zack. They should help you out. I was drooling over one of the Kula Supremes and the one on the floor wasn't my size. They said it didn't matter they had like 5 different sizes in back...

Top Bottom