Bike Recs?

Shaggz

A strong 7
Sparta Brad said:
my budget which is ballpark $2k.

look for deals on '06s since the '07s are coming out. From a straight "deal" point of view, you may want to check these guys out:

http://www.bicycle-source.com/

They are located on rte 23 and carry a lot of brands, including giant and kona. The shop manager seems like a nice guy who wants to move inventory - HOWEVER, I have had no experience with them from a service point of view. I have no mechanical aptitude so my relationship with a lbs is more important than intitial pricing, which is why my bike $$ goes to cycle craft.

SpartaBard

Trance

smarencik,

I just got back from Cycle Works in Byram, checking out the Trance. They had a Trance 2 and 3 in the shop. I liked it quite a bit. It seems like the 2 is worth the extra couple hundred, there are some nice upgrades.

SpartaBard

bicycle source.us

They just opened a store on Route 206 up in Lafayette. I stoped by their shop last week but their inventory was small, really only had the Kona in stock. However, they said that the were working on getting more bikes in. Seemed like a nice lady.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Burnt Orange? I wasn't too crazy about the color initially, but it has grown on me. The 2 is definitely worth the extra $$.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Sparta Brad said:
They just opened a store on Route 206 up in Lafayette. I stoped by their shop last week but their inventory was small, really only had the Kona in stock. However, they said that the were working on getting more bikes in. Seemed like a nice lady.

They don't have any 2s in their other location either.

SpartaBard

color

yeah, I think the color can grow on me, however I was hoping to at least have some choice in color. I wanted to stick with green. w/e.

The burnt orange is much better than the blue on the T3.

Shaggz

A strong 7
giant limtis color choices. if you can wait, i think the '07s have a more of a natural/anodized finish. but who can wait once the bug hits?!?!?

heythorp

ytc100 said:
Here are a couple of non-biased articles on the Trance. Be sure to read the last paragraph of the second link. It is this sentiment, which I read in many reviews, which caused me to pick the Trance over the Specialized.

http://www.mbaction.com/archives.asp?var=read&id=1123

http://www.suspensionmadeharmonious.com/press.html

To call anything MBA or any other dirt rag writes about ANY bike "non-biased" is just ludicrous. When has any bike been bashed buy a mag. They are so afraid to piss off a customer they never would bash a bike company, let alone one of the bigger companies with large and deep pockets.

The Trance is a good bike, the STumpy is a good bike. Most companies make good bikes, find the one that works for you, your eye, your body and your pocket

B

bdpeter

what? no one has mentioned the Prophet yet? what about the Rush? I really like my Prophet and it rides great.

the lefty is not for everyone though, but mine has been trouble free and really stable on the rough.

good luck w/your decision

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

ytc100

heythorp said:
To call anything MBA or any other dirt rag writes about ANY bike "non-biased" is just ludicrous. When has any bike been bashed buy a mag. They are so afraid to piss off a customer they never would bash a bike company, let alone one of the bigger companies with large and deep pockets.

The Trance is a good bike, the STumpy is a good bike. Most companies make good bikes, find the one that works for you, your eye, your body and your pocket

All true. ;)

I'm just saying in the 3 or 4 articles that compared the Trance and FSR the authors all typically said that the Trance had less bob/pedal feedback than the Specialized and in all other respects performed as well or better than the FSR.

Last edited:

heythorp

bdpeter said:
what? no one has mentioned the Prophet yet? what about the Rush? I really like my Prophet and it rides great.

the lefty is not for everyone though, but mine has been trouble free and really stable on the rough.

good luck w/your decision

With all the good ribbing aside from YTC and myself niether of use are a fan of Cannondale. Another good bike, like I said most bikes are good. If there is one thing Ytc and myself agree on is that neither of us would buy one. I know his reasons, but I will let him speak for himself. As for me, well they just don't do it for me, but nothing wrong with them.

Shaggz

A strong 7
bonefishjake said:
Tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Kiddin witcha, Clyde - :p

B

bdpeter

heythorp said:
With all the good ribbing aside from YTC and myself niether of use are a fan of Cannondale. Another good bike, like I said most bikes are good. If there is one thing Ytc and myself agree on is that neither of us would buy one. I know his reasons, but I will let him speak for himself. As for me, well they just don't do it for me, but nothing wrong with them.

hey, that's cool. I think it's like you said - find a bike that works for you, your eye, your body and fits your budget.

Shaggz

A strong 7
heythorp said:

I love cannondales, especially the lefty, which imho can't be beat. the trance is my first non c-dale in 14 years. My gripe w/cannondale has always been that they throw on sh*tty coda/house brand components onto a very progressive frame/fork combo. my prior bike was a jekyll and i considered both the rush and the prophet. prophet was too "big" for me - closer to a diablo style bike. the rush was a bit too stiff/xc'ish for my liking.

the trance has a few pounds on the jek, but the maestro suspension is so efficient. even with the minimal amount of riding i am doing this year, climbing is less arduous than it has been in the past on my jek when i was 15 lbs lighter and in much better shape.

SpartaBard

Too many choices!

However, I think I am going to focus on the Epic and the Trance. It seems like I would get more bike for my money with the Trance, so at this moment :p I think I am leaning that way.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Make sure you tell John & Frank that Steve ('06 T2) & Scott ('05 T2 and '06 Ladies T) steered you in this direction should you buy a bike from him.

Top Bottom