Bike Rack Thule Vs. ???

xc62701

I’m looking for a new bike rack. I’ve had Yakima roof racks in the past and then switched to Thule hitch racks. While they have been good longevity has not. They rust out in 2-3 years. Their lifetime warranty is great but I just got a new one shipped last week. I may just sell it. I think it’s time for an upgrade. 1up? Kuat? I’m looking for a 2 bike rack at least with the option to carry 4 in the future. Thoughts?

Ian F

A lot of my friends have 1Up racks and seem to really like them. The Thule system is a bit faster, but I'm not sure it's better. I also have friends with the Thule, but I don't think any of them have had issues with them rusting.

xc62701

They just sent #3. The warranty is great but it gets old when the rails start rusting through and I worry about my bikes falling off.

JDurk

And? Yay/nay? Does everything you need?
Sorry, was quick to reply with no explanation. I actually have two 1up's with the adapter for 1-1/4" or 2". 1 for my truck (2" hitch) and 1 for my wife's CRV (1-1/4" hitch), and 2 add-on trays. Have used as a 3 bike on the truck, only double on the CRV with road bikes. Yes, bulky and heavy, but works as advertised. They are taken off the car/truck when not in use.

Will add that I have a friend who's Subaru Outback got rear ended while the hitch was attached, folded up and no bikes. No significant damage to the rack, minimal damage to his Outback. The striking car was smashed up pretty bad. Subaru dealer told him the rack saved his car.

Cassinonorth

Left my Thule Doubletrack (which was rusting out) for a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 a couple months ago. Night and day. Much lighter and sturdier feeling rack, no frame contact and easier to use.

goodvibe

1up. I had a Thule T2Pro that was about a year old and I backed into a telephone pole bending one of the arms. Thule just made a slight adjustment to the design and I was not able to get parts. I sold it as broken and purchased a 1-up. It is super low-profile and light and would not go back to another brand. Also, they seem to always have parts and the racks are American-Made.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've had the Thule T2 Pro XT for 3-4 years now, and it stays on the car 95% of the time. No visible wear/rust, although one of the ratchet straps is a little janky, so I just use an extra bungee cord. If I were to replace it, I'd go 1up USA. The Thule is heavy AF, which is why I leave it on all the time....

HiFiGuy

Another vote for 1up. I had a older Thule T2 and made the change to the 1up, would not go back. I have a single with a add on for the one or two times a month a buddy hitches a ride. In the single form, it still allows me to use the rear hatch without flipping down the the rack.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I’ve had my 1up for about 5 years. Originally was set up on the roof, then converted to hitch. Zero complaints. Unless I get in an accident, I don’t see why I’d ever need to replace it, it still works and looks like it’s new.

xc62701

Another vote for 1up. I had a older Thule T2 and made the change to the 1up, would not go back. I have a single with a add on for the one or two times a month a buddy hitches a ride. In the single form, it still allows me to use the rear hatch without flipping down the the rack.
You’ve got me thinking now… Since most times I only have one bike but I do throw two bikes on every now and then. How easy is it to pop on the second rack?

JDurk

You’ve got me thinking now… Since most times I only have one bike but I do throw two bikes on every now and then. How easy is it to pop on the second rack?
Very easy. Loosen 2 bolts, install add-on tray, tighten 2 bolts. Being able to take it apart makes it easier to move around since it's pretty heavy.

iman29

I’ve got the Thule T2 Pro XT 2 (2” hitch) which I got used but like new on a great deal here a few years ago. Needed it once the boys bikes got bigger and I got a smaller suv.

While it’s heavy AF with just the 2 trays mounted I keep it in the garage when it’s not on the car because most times I am solo and lay the bike down in the car with the seats folded down. If I carpool or anticipate a filthy bike I use the rack and I have zero complaints. Thule even sent me some little parts for free when I asked about it without any proof of purchase required. I thought I would grab the 2 bike extension at some point but now that the older two kids drive in the VERY rare chance we all go for a ride they can lay the bike down in the car trunk pretty easily.

If I had a blank check I could see the benefits if a 1UP because it’s aluminum and seems to have more interchangeable options. Kuat one seems to be equivalent to the T2 just more stylish.

Whatever of the three you might pick I don’t think you will be disappointed.

xc62701

I’ve got the Thule T2 Pro XT 2 (2” hitch) which I got used but like new on a great deal here a few years ago. Needed it once the boys bikes got bigger and I got a smaller suv.

While it’s heavy AF with just the 2 trays mounted I keep it in the garage when it’s not on the car because most times I am solo and lay the bike down in the car with the seats folded down. If I carpool or anticipate a filthy bike I use the rack and I have zero complaints. Thule even sent me some little parts for free when I asked about it without any proof of purchase required. I thought I would grab the 2 bike extension at some point but now that the older two kids drive in the VERY rare chance we all go for a ride they can lay the bike down in the car trunk pretty easily.

If I had a blank check I could see the benefits if a 1UP because it’s aluminum and seems to have more interchangeable options. Kuat one seems to be equivalent to the T2 just more stylish.

Whatever of the three you might pick I don’t think you will be disappointed.

The thule T2 Classic I have is for a 1 1/4" hitch. I just got a new car with a 2" hitch so this is prompting the change really. I hate to have to use an adapter(which I have already) to put the bike on the car but that's how it's currently mounted. It works but I'm thinking longevity and upgrading is never really a bad thing. I'm leaning towards the 1up as I never really thought about a single rack and then adding on when needed. If it's that easy that may be better. I only ever need 2 racks on the car when I'm going to the shop for repairs or it's CX season. Since CX isn't happening I won't need it for that any time soon.

Captain Brainstorm

I've been a life-long Thule customer with racks, bike carriers, and boxes. While I think that their boxes and racks work well (how can you screw up a box?), I don't think that I'll ever buy another one of their bike carriers again. I have a 2" hitch carrier and what would be considered a T2 Classic (bought before the XT existed). I've seen the way that their products have evolved, and I feel that over the last few years their bike carriers have turned to junk relative to the price that you pay. On a longer road trip the front wheel holders on the T2 always come loose, you need to find the sweet-spot to position the arm between location and air pressure. On their roof carriers, there is just a lot of slop, and it took them 10 years to make something that is what I would consider secure. I have a pile of their older roof carriers that I don't think I could sell to anyone in good conscience. For the prices that they charge for their hitch carriers, I would look elsewhere, like Kuat or OneUp. I know that I will.

Top Bottom