Bike Rack - BMW X5

M

MC San Andreas

I am trying to figure out a rack for my BMW X5. I do not have a hitch and to buy just the hitch is $500. I also do not have roof rails ([I removed them, thought they make the X5 look like a mini van!) so I cannot get a roof mounted rack. I really don't want to put the roof rails back on.....

I am wondering if a truck mounted rack would be an option. Anyone here have any experience with a truck mounted rack on an X5? I checked out the Saris Bones website. It is not listed in the aplications for the unit. I am guess it is due to the OEM rear spoiler the X5 has.. ???

Are there any truck racks that mount via suction alone??

Any thougths are appreciated!!

BiknBen

Any thoughts are appreciated!!

That would be a trunk-mounted bike ejector. I've never heard of any suction mounting rear rack.

A hitch would be about $200 installed for you vehicle. http://hitches4less.stores.yahoo.net/bmw-x5-triler-hitch.html

I think you are asking for a bit much. If you are not willing to use the cheapest mount option (roof) and are not willing to spend for the most expensive (hitch) then you don't carry bikes with this vehicle.

Stocky

If ya lease the car they will hit ya up for all the scratches those exterior trunk mounted racks cause.
If you own it, step up to the plate and get a hitch mount installed and get your self a quality hitch mounted rack that also folds down to allow you acces to the rear while it's mounted.

How many bikes will you be carrying ?

this of course is just my opinion.

TonyC

I am trying to figure out a rack for my BMW X5. I do not have a hitch and to buy just the hitch is $500. I also do not have roof rails ([I removed them, thought they make the X5 look like a mini van!) so I cannot get a roof mounted rack. I really don't want to put the roof rails back on.....

I am wondering if a truck mounted rack would be an option. Anyone here have any experience with a truck mounted rack on an X5? I checked out the Saris Bones website. It is not listed in the aplications for the unit. I am guess it is due to the OEM rear spoiler the X5 has.. ???

Any thougths are appreciated!!

I know a guy who had the same dilemma. BMW quoted him $800 for a hitch to be installed. Roof racks would be between 6-7 hung.
I'm not sure if you leased or bought, but if you leased and opt for the hitch I would definitely have your BMW dealership do the install since you have to trim the fascia.
How about inside on a plastic tarp?

M

MC San Andreas

Thanks for the reply... bike ejector huh?? Sounds kind of James Bond!

The BMW OEM hitch is the way to go when putting a hitch on the X5. If I was going to go that route I would go OEM.

I am just trying to see if there are any options out there that I have not considered!

M

MC San Andreas

I do own my X5. I am pretty handy and have done a lot of work on my X5 so installing a hitch would not be hard to do. The X5 hitch is a pretty integrated system so OEM is really the way to go. The aftermarket hitches just do not have the same design or structural integrity as OEM. Honestly, I really don't like the look of a hitch on the X5. But that is just me....

Are the trunk mounts that bad?? Is there any way to prevent scraches on the bumper??

The most I will be carring is two bikes.

I might have to reconsider either doing a hitch or reinstalling the roof rails... I would really like to figure out a trcuk mounted system...

Thank you all for your comments!!!

Madness

I run a trunk mounted rack on my Pathfinder and hate it. I am always nervous about my bike when I am riding down the road. It never stays tight against the rear hatch on long hauls (any drive that requires me to get on the highway). It moves around and I end up stopping to re tighten the straps. Once I find a roof carrier that will hook right up to my factory bars that thing is gone. I don't know about you but I really don't want to loose my investment because of being picky about how the carrier looks on the car and not how safe my bike is on it. I would seriously reconsider putting your load bars back on your roof and getting a solid carrier for your bike.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
If you've dropped a few grand on your bike, a good rack is worth it. Check around online for a hitch rack and you may just need some help installing it but I'm sure you can find one for much less than the dealer's asking. Or go back to the roof rack -- I did and was happy I did.

Stocky

or you could do the obvious and buy a second car with a hitch already mounted.

seems simple enough .;)

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
I just went through the same situation

I recently traded in my Mazda Protege5 hatchback for a Toyota Rav4. I had roof racks on the Mazda which were pretty convenient. However, given the height of the Rav4 compared to my height (5' 5"), I don't relish the idea of hoisting my bikes onto the roof of the new truck - especially after a long ride.

Anyway, I sucked it up and got a hitch installed and am now waiting on my Thule T2 rack to show up. Total cost of hitch + installation + rack ~$650. Not the most budget conscious solution, but, IMHO, the most user friendly and secure. And spread over the expected ownership time of the truck, the cost is less than $100/yr. Plus, the rack can get transferred to whatever new vehicle I get.

By the way, anyone looking for a pair of Yakima Cobra roof mount racks? Decent condition. Cheap.

M

MC San Andreas

or you could do the obvious and buy a second car with a hitch already mounted.

seems simple enough .;)

I thought about that one but my wife shot me down on that.....

Installing a hitch is not a problem. I have taken the rear bumper off before which is the biggest part if doing the install.

I hear where all of you guys are coming from. The most important thing is that the bike is secure.

Now that I plan on doing a lot more riding than I have in the past I will have to make a decision on what to do one way or antoehr....

Appreciate all the input!

MTB Aussie

A friend had the BMW factory mounted rear rack on the X5 and it was ugly as balls. It also involved these stick on clips that used adhesive to stick to the paint. It looked like a real afterthought but held the bikes securely. (really - made the X5 look silly)

For no car contact and secure bike holding get a cheap hitch from hidden hitch or similar, if you are using it for bikes you don't need the wiring harness hooked up which cuts the cost and you can probably bolt it on yourself. Then get a good Thule or Yakima that fits the bike and voila.

Top Bottom