Bike rack blocking license plates

ellbiddy

So I was grabbing a coffee on the way to run a few pre-trip errands and I ran into a friend of mine who was a police officer, we chit chatted for a bit and then when I was walking back to my car he noticed my hitch carrier and said I was lucky because mine didn't cover the license plate very much if at all, otherwise I'd be liable to get a ticket for obscuring my plates. This makes me worried because I'm switching to a tray rack really soon which I'm 99% sure will cover my plates more than this when folded up. Besides keeping it open while driving is there a better way to get around this? Maybe strap on a copy of my plate on the hitch when folded up or something :confused::confused:

The last thing I need is a ticket.

kush

So I was grabbing a coffee on the way to run a few pre-trip errands and I ran into a friend of mine who was a police officer, we chit chatted for a bit and then when I was walking back to my car he noticed my hitch carrier and said I was lucky because mine didn't cover the license plate very much if at all, otherwise I'd be liable to get a ticket for obscuring my plates. This makes me worried because I'm switching to a tray rack really soon which I'm 99% sure will cover my plates more than this when folded up. Besides keeping it open while driving is there a better way to get around this? Maybe strap on a copy of my plate on the hitch when folded up or something :confused::confused:

The last thing I need is a ticket.

My Yakima rack covers my plate when its in the up position. I already got a warning a couple months ago, but nothing since then. Guess I like living on the edge

It is kind of a lame design flaw, as my plate position is pretty standard with reference to the hitch. I guess when I get around to it, I'll get the magnet thingies that auto dealers use to affix a temp plate when you test drive a car.

ellbiddy

I'm actually getting the same rack as you I think. Yakima HoldUp, seems to have the best reviews for a tray. I think I might latch on a plate to the back, laminate or some crap. Whenever it's in the up position SOMETHING will at least be visible.

Edit: I'll probably just fab something up like a small holder to toss on the rack, secure it with velcro straps. or some bolts.

Last edited:

southernerinnj

I've never heard of this issue before. I mean while pulling a trailer you cannot see the license plate unless you are in the absolute perfect position. Seems like a pretty lame law especially up here where they require a front and rear plate.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I've never heard of this issue before. I mean while pulling a trailer you cannot see the license plate unless you are in the absolute perfect position. Seems like a pretty lame law especially up here where they require a front and rear plate.

Except that if you're pulling a trailer it has to have it's own license plate.

The Kalmyk

This shouldn't be an issue at all...They legally sell the racks here in the states :confused:...IMHO Leo, he should have just let it go

European Law residual...

bike_rack.jpg

Last edited:

Suhr40

In NJ you may get a summons for it, but it is not something that would be considered a priority to the police. The statute states that nothing can obscure the type on the plate, which includes many of those plastic license plate borders that the dealers put on.
You can also get a ticket for having a satellite radio stuck to your windshield or air fresheners hanging from your rear view mirror. Chances are though, you won't be stopped for any of these, but the possibility exists. At least it's a non-point ticket.

C

chainstretcher

statute states that nothing can obscure the type on the plate, which includes many of those plastic license plate borders that the dealers put on.

haha...i wonder how they'll feel about my sportbike??
best.gif

E

ecoast

I was surprised as well...

I'm in NNJ, but was golfing ust over the NYS border; pulled me over for obscured plate...no bikes, no trailer, nothing...

My sin?
A CLEAR plate cover.

When they're out fishing, ANYTHING is a good enough reason to initiate a stop.

mwlikesbikes

Welcome to Jersey brother! :D
You ain't in Sweet Home Alabama any more! :cry:

I've come across alot of people from the south that can't belive the crap we put up with here.

dhsean

Try leaving a DH race weekend from Diablo or Plattekill. I have seen people and friends get tickets for the obscured plate even when you can see it through the rack. Sundays are money makers for the local cops. It's not like your going to drive 3 hours out of your way to fight the ticket in court.

N

NMBPmike

ticket

I have a 2- bike tray rack attached to my receiver hitch, I was pulled over three weeks ago in Manchester and given a ticket. 75.00 snappers... obstruction of plate. So I pondered how I can fix this.
I came up with a door hinge (in Brass) from Homo Depot, and drilled two bolts through the rack. When the rack is up the plate appears to be flat and totally visible, when the rack is down the plate goes down with it and is visible. I found the plate mount at a truck shop near the 34 circle just passed allaire airport, it has a wire for a light (state law plates have to have a light) and I connected it to my hitch light hookup. So it’s a quick connect to light the plate bracket up and up or down on the bike rack the plate is now visible. Ill post picks soon.

NMBPmike

THATmanMANNY

Leo, sounds like your "friend" needs to hook you up with a PBA :rolleyes:

Try leaving a DH race weekend from Diablo or Plattekill. I have seen people and friends get tickets for the obscured plate even when you can see it through the rack. Sundays are money makers for the local cops. It's not like your going to drive 3 hours out of your way to fight the ticket in court.

WTF really?!!! That is bogus. Thank goodness I drive a pickup.
So what have you seen people do to prevent this BS?

Last edited:

ellbiddy

I have a PBA card already, but some cops scoff at them. Once I get home I ws going to put together a little license plate holder and strap it on the rack with a copy of my plate.

Top Bottom