Bike Lights?

Keith

Question: what are the better types/styles of bike and helmet lights to purchase? I'm new to this sport so I have absolutely know idea what type of light to get for night riding. I have heard of helmet mounted lights and handle bar mounted lights. What should I get and what is a good/fair price. Should I get a rechargable light? Any beta would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Keith

BiknBen

Need some more background info. What type of night riding do you intend to do? All lights have pros and cons. The one that is best is determined by how you intend to use it.

Keith

I will be mountain bike riding at night. This entails the usual logs, hills, trees, rocks, dirt and wild-life. Just want to see what I'm crashing into.

Nimrod

if you wanna see where you going, get a helmet light.

a bar light really isn't needed (backup)

Keith

rides will last no-longer than 2 to 2.5 hours tops. budget: anything from $25.00 to $250.00.

someone mentioned using just a headlamp....that sounds like a step in the right direction. now the question is....what is a good head lamp to get?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
rides will last no-longer than 2 to 2.5 hours tops. budget: anything from $25.00 to $250.00. someone mentioned using just a headlamp....that sounds like a step in the right direction. now the question is....what is a good head lamp to get?

For $250 you can get a decent LED light. They seems to start around $160 and seem to be brighter than Halogen and WAY less money than HIDs, which start in the $400s. I've just started looking for a light myself. The recent MBA does a decent job of breaking it all down. As for LED lights, the Knog Gator 305 is $170 and gets written up well. But if you want to ride as fast as you do during the day, and ever ride by yourself (probably not a good idea), you may need to pony up for the HID. The trinewt gets raves.

steverod23

Trinewt ?

Does anyone have any experience with the trinewt, either the standard one or the version with the wireless remote control ?

Is it light enough (no pun intended, really) to be mounted on a helmet or is it purely a handlebar light ?

Steve

Shaggz

A strong 7
the november issue of Mountain Bike Action has a 4 page article in the "MBA Tech" section (page 60) which has some good info and specs on lights in the low, mid and high price ranges.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Diy

I'm in the process of building a dual set of halogens from parts bought from Home depot. I'll let everyone know how they work after I get them done (providing I don't get stranded in the woods when they fail and never make it out!)

Cost of dual lights: about $25.00 + batteries.

Tim

Shaggz

A strong 7
Tim, it would be real cool if you could somehow document this build with photos to post on-line, regardless of the outcome.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Shaggs,

I can't take credit for the idea, I'm just too cheap to rationalize spending more on lights than I did on my bike (almost). I'll try to document what I did, but here are the basics:

http://www.instructables.com/id/BIKE-LIGHT-500-Lumen-"Mt.Bike"-for-under-10-bucks-/?ALLSTEPS

http://www.bike-recumbent.com/headlight.shtml

I started out building the first set, but I liked the looks of the second one better. Tried using a 50W halogen bulb but got so hot it melted the solder I used to connect it (but it sure was bright!). Just ordered some 20W halogen spots that should be perfect. I'll post pics when I finish.

Also I have a spreadsheet I used to estimate run times (yes, I'm an engineer:D ) that I can email if anyone is interested.

Probably more than you wanted but...:drooling:

Tim

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
this is pretty cool stuff , really. we should mount your lights on sean's bamboo bike, with tires fabricated from a rubber tree, for MTBNJs first "Home Grown" bike.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Let me know if you do, one thing I found is that none of the stores in my area had 20W spot beams (according to everything I read floods are not what you want). I had to order some off Ebay, I can give you name of where I bought from or I will have few extra that I could give to select individuals.:D

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Finished

Well, here they are. I still haven't been out to try them out, but they don't look too bad. Hopefully they hold up. Any questions let me know.

Tim

Wobbegong

Well, here they are. I still haven't been out to try them out, but they don't look too bad. Hopefully they hold up. Any questions let me know.

Tim

I have a question, when are we riding Six Mile to test them out?! I'm very interested to see how they work. Wednesday night maybe??

Top Bottom