Bike light

Magicshine makes a 2000 lumen light for about $200. I ride w 2 guys that run that as their main light

Manny, one of these lights will do the job? Or you need another light on your helmet?

I did my usual loop last night at Ramapo and it was fine. I had it mounted to the helmet. I also used a lower end AAA battery LED light mounted on the handlebar to illuminate the front wheel. Worked out great.

The TB1000 is built solid... worth the money.

Last edited:
Seca 1700 Race for sale

I have a brand new in box never opened Light and Motion Seca 1700 race ( 2012 current model) for sale, $300. Extra helmet mount as well. I got a pro deal and got 2 of them. This thing is crazy bright, If anyone is interested PM me.

I did my usual loop last night at Ramapo and it was fine. I had it mounted to the helmet. I also used a lower end AAA battery LED light mounted on the handlebar to illuminate the front wheel. Worked out great.

The TB1000 is built solid... worth the money.

Did the same last night. Agreed, worth it.

Take a look before you buy. http://reviews.mtbr.com/2013-bike-lights-shootout-mtbr-lumen-tests

This test shows how alot of these lumens ratings are unfounded and remember lumens is only part of the puzzle and beam pattern is just as or more important. Light and motion has one of the best comparisons on this on their website where you can pick different manufacturers lights and compare side by side in the same view. Even if you don't plan to buy from them excellent tool.

http://www.lightandmotion.com/bike/

You can always use more light but we are now at the point where it is more light than what is needed, so no need to get the highest model because next year it will be brighter, battery last longer and new features for likely less money.

Last edited:
^^^ what kev said.

i think there can be a thing as too much light. i just bought a new flashlight for my helmet. its got a great beam pattern (no hotspot) but it was so stupid bright on high it was too much unless i was going downhill, and even then it just washed out everything. my bar light couldn't compete with it so i got zero shadows (and shadows define the trail better IMO), even when the new light was on its mid setting.

i actually picked up another light that's super small and light (it's slightly bigger than those 18650 batteries), 1/2 the lumen rating of the stupid bright one and it's going to be my go-to because of the weight and beam pattern. i don't even know it's on my head. beam pattern is a lot more important than getting anything over 1000 lumens.

For me, I like to buy the higher lumen model because I'm not pushing the limits of the battery. For example, I have a SECA 1400 which gets 2.5 hrs runtime on high, 5 hrs at 700 lumens. If I bought the 700 lumen model, It gets 2.5hrs on high. That runtime is important to me, especially this time of year when it gets dark early. Last thing I want to do is cut it close with the battery life.

Soundz turned me on to these. It's a company in NC. Check out the prices on Amazon. I picked up the TB1000 for $89. The TB1600 is $124 and the TB3000 is $199.

http://www.lumintrek.com/

BTW, I noticed my warranty card said one year instead of five (as posted on their web page). I e-mailed Lumintrek on Saturday and 10 minutes later had a response:

"Thank you for your purchase. It appears there's a typo on the card. All warranty info can be obtained on our website. I apologize for the confusion and will look into getting the issue corrected.

Sincerely, Jeff"

Nice to know they are on top of things.

Back
Top Bottom