Bike: HARO Mary 29er SS

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I just took out the Mary Shop Demo today.

First off this bike rides more like a $2500 bike than a $850 bike.

The tires roll nice and fast yet they grip like a super knobby 26". I made a muddy climb that I often slip out on with my ss 26" bike. I would like to try the Hutchinson 29" Python when they are ready. That should be a super setup.

The wheels felt solid and light enough.

I didn't love the bars. I think they are cool but I prefer the Eason Monkey lite carbon paired with the Magnesium Ergon Grips/Barends. I missed this combo for certain.

The cranks fel very solid. The gearing was a mystery. At times I felt that it was too easy and at times it was too hard. I guess it was just different than the 33x18 that I run on my 26".

The fork was OK. I missed the Headshock that I have on my seven. The steering was good but since it has been forever since I rode a ridgid fork.. well it was ridgid. I started with 40 PSI in both tires. By the end of the ride I was more like 30 or less in the front. I didn't dare let any out of the rear. This is the first NON tubeless bike I have ridden in a long time. I think that UST for 29" is sorely needed!

The bb clearance was great. That is certainly due to the 29" setup. I had the bb in the lower of the 2 possible positions. It would be too high in the higher position.. I think.

I liked the WTB saddle but I still prefer the Fizik Alliante.

The one hill (sort of) that i rode down, I was really in awe of how fast it seemed to roll. This has been my experice on all 29ers. The just go downhill better.. I can imagine that a 29" DH bike would rip??

Overall: Great way to test 29" and SS. Really a steal at this price. MUCH better bike than the 29" Moncog and maybe better than the Karate Monkey. (for my taste).

I wonder what it would ride like with a Pace Carbon Ridgid fork?? Anyone tried??

I think that if I was going to make this bike my own I would do the following:

Easton 31.8 Carbon Monkeylit bars
EC70 Carbon Stem
Ergon Mag Grips/Bar ends
Ec70 Carbon Post
King HS
Perhaps a 19t rear cog.
Fizik Alliante Saddle

Fork?? Something else.. Not sure what. I thought suspension for sure for the 1st 1/2 of the ride but by the end it was the bars that I wanted to change the most.

All that being said I might as well buy a frame and start from scratch??

jdog

Shop Keep
Very nice.. I like!

I spoke with a Haro Rep the other day who told me that they have been very very pleased with the way this bike has sold and performed. This is saying something considering that nearly every company has built a 29er this year.

They plan to expand on this platform in the coming year.

look out.

j

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Hey J, i ride the mary with the Pace carbon rigid and i LOVE IT, i ride at the Rock most of the time and its so soft going throught the rock gardens.Not much flex on it that you think only if you nail the front brake youll find it flex,its a strong fork too if you go on mtbr, gary sent me a pic of some guy jumping it, no prob.I would def recommend it, i also added a carbon seatpost to mine to soften it up a lil.Most fun!!! As far as the bars go "they kick arrsss" i think its a love hate thing. i think each person has to try them for them self.

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
guys: just curious why haro specs the mary bars on the ss rig and not the xc/geared rig?

ArmyOfNone

guys: just curious why haro specs the mary bars on the ss rig and not the xc/geared rig?

from what i remember correctly i was toolin around on that thing in the shop other day and i dont think there are mary bars. just regular ol risers.

jdog

Shop Keep
ss/xc

The XC seems to be a a more "traditional" build. The SS is really changing the way we think about what a mt bike is. That being said they are playing around a bit more.

J-

PatrickBrown

Jay I was in East Brunswick today and stopped in to chat with Barry. to check out what he did with the shop, I havent seen it since I left there in 2000. but I checked out a mary 18 inch. threw my leg over it... seems cool.

he told me that our old Powerbar, sidi shoes, and conti rep had passed away, did you ever deal with Bob?

jdog

Shop Keep
bummer

:(
Jay I was in East Brunswick today and stopped in to chat with Barry. to check out what he did with the shop, I havent seen it since I left there in 2000. but I checked out a mary 18 inch. threw my leg over it... seems cool.

he told me that our old Powerbar, sidi shoes, and conti rep had passed away, did you ever deal with Bob?

Yeah.. Bob has been a very good friend and sales rep for over ten years. I can't say enough good about him. I was going to go to the viewing the other day but I just couldn't bring myself to go. I am all about honoring friends in life, so to me funerals are for close family members and folks who feel guilty about not honoring the deceased enough while they were alive.

They had tons of Fire trucks and a huge turnout. He will be missed.

Bob was planning on retiring to Maine soon and since I grew up in Maine we always had a lot to talk about.

The sad thing was that although he was only 53 he looked a bit older. The years of smoking did him in. Yet another reason to get anyone you care about to quit smoking.

j

PatrickBrown

.. but I checked out a mary 18 inch. threw my leg over it... seems cool.

Did you pedal it or did you forget how?? :) I think you might be on the edge of needing a 20?? What is your height?

j

yea man Bob was a great guy........

I'm 5-10 on a good day, I didnt get to pedal it around, but I definately dont think I need anything bigger than that. it felt bigger than any 18 or 19 inch framed 26 incher I ever rode.

Maurice

I think this 29er thing is all BS to sell more bikes. I can't imagine how noodly those wheels must be. I like my 26" wheels, they're light and I like to catch air.

(ducking and running, asbestos suit zipping up)

;)

Maurice

jdog

Shop Keep
split the diff..

Perhaps you might prefer the new standard that Grant Peterson form Rivendel is pushing.

650b. Bigger than 26" and smaller than 29".

I know that it sounds absurd to have yet another size but man it makes sense to me.

He contends that it is the best of both 26 and 29.

http://www.rivbike.com/node/18

The new Dirt Rag reviews this 650b setup..

Very smart guys here but a seriously different angle.

j

jdog

Shop Keep
Here is the 1st pic I have seen of the 2008 Mary SS color.

Baby blue..

Not sure how I feel about it yet..

j:hmmm:

Attachments

• 08marryss.jpg
    08marryss.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 40

Shaggz

A strong 7
FAWK - WHAT DID YOU DO TO ME?!?!?!? I am not an animal - I AM A MAN! Talk about identity crisis.

Top Bottom