bike commuting route website?

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
so this summer im hoping to start commuting by bike maybe once a week. i live about 35 miles from work, so it would be a long ride, but i think iwould enjoy it much. Ill be getting rid of my fixed gear and getting a road bike for this (id rather have gears)

but i am trying to find a program that helps to plan the route. I checked out google maps with the "by foot" but it really didnt give me a great route. I know ive seen a website for this somewhere..i just cant find it.

any help?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
googles maps let you pull the line around fairly easily to costomize your route but doesn't let you do off road stuff. mapmyride.com will give you an idea of elevation and such. 35 miles is a trek, good luck!

walter

Fourth Party
so this summer im hoping to start commuting by bike maybe once a week. i live about 35 miles from work, so it would be a long ride, but i think iwould enjoy it much. Ill be getting rid of my fixed gear and getting a road bike for this (id rather have gears)

but i am trying to find a program that helps to plan the route. I checked out google maps with the "by foot" but it really didnt give me a great route. I know ive seen a website for this somewhere..i just cant find it.

any help?

What about "Map my ride"?

http://www.mapmyride.com/

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Map my ride is the best one of these programs because it allows you to choose bikepaths as well. To see which roads are safest for cyclists check out njbikemap.com and get an idea of where it would be best to go. You can set-up a loop to keep you off highways and double-lane roads etc...

-Jim.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
you can also try this: http://www.njbikemap.com/

it's a bit cumbersome since all the maps are PDF files, but it gives you a decent overview on what roads are more bike friendly. check the key for details

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Add:
bikeroutetoaster.com
+
njbikemap.com
+
A bit of free time
=
Good times!

I've used MMR a bit and I prefer BRT. BRT has the added advantage of being able to save as a gpx file to upload to your GPS.

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
njbikemap.com would be my first place to go as well. Dustin put in many years into creating that website - all of which where created by his own gps.

I'm currently helping him create a mountain bike version of njbikemap, but that is going to take some time ;)

Ian F

googles maps let you pull the line around fairly easily to costomize your route but doesn't let you do off road stuff. mapmyride.com will give you an idea of elevation and such. 35 miles is a trek, good luck!

Yep! Google maps + "Walking" route setting = a generally direct, back-roads route. (just discovered this on Friday).

Top Bottom