Bike Balloon Race on July 31 - 2 FREE slots

The organizer of this race saw the cross clinic picture on my FB page and asked if anyone would be interested in signing up. There are 2 slots/balloons left.

The race goes like this:
(1) Balloons take off with the rider in the basket and bike tied or bungied to the outside of the basket.
(2) The start is staggered at the pilots discretion so that there aren't too many balloons taking off at the same time. Volunteers record the time each basket leaves the ground.
(3) The pilots must fly beyond a line defined on the map on the night based on wind conditions. It could be a road or the river. Or, the balloon pilots must stay aloft for a minimum time before landing in any location. Some of them seem to be able to find slower moving air and take this minimum time aloft strategy to give the cyclist the shortest route back. The best pilots can land their balloons close to the road so you don't have to cross field or ditches. I did this race once and used a TT bike. Nearly everyone used road bikes. It's amazing how accurate these balloon pilots can be.
(4) After landing the cyclist climbs out of the balloon and hammers back to the start/finish area.
(5) Lowest total time wins $600 prize money split between pilot and cyclist.

Nice prize money. $200 fundraising or donation was required for each cyclist. Two spots have the fundraising covered and are being offered free of charge It all goes to "Adopt A Soldier Platoon" http://www.adoptasoldierplatoon.org/

The race is on July 31 at 6:30pm at the Warren County Farmers Fair in Harmony Township, near Phillipsburg.
http://www.warrencountyfarmersfair.org/directions.html

Because this is short notice, if you're interested the best thing to do is contact Lani directly at
Noelani Diemicke <laniww@gmail.com>

I'm in. It's an awesome experience.

Attachments

• Bicycle poster_Bicycle poster 2013.jpg
    Bicycle poster_Bicycle poster 2013.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
FREE entry to the bike-balloon race

The $200 fundraising requirements for two spots in this race have been covered by donations. Anyone interested in participating should contact Lani at the email above in the original message ASAP. Prize money for the winner is $300

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is really an awesome idea! I'd love to do this save for the fact I'm afraid of heights and would likely soil myself in the balloon! But this looks like a really amazing experience, I have to say.

For the cyclist to get back to the start/finish there's not set course. Depends on where your balloon pilot lands. So watching the roads as you float downwind and planning how Tories back is another cool part. The distance is short. Leaders are usually well under an hour on the bike.

rick81721

Lothar
Very cool idea - the only concern I would have (only did one balloon ride) is if you have a rough landing your bike could get trashed.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Norm, they don't go too high. Pic attached.

I'm generally skittish on top of a step ladder. I could see myself doing this but I would need a solid month of mental preparation to do it. :)

Pat - I'm glad you're taking up the offer. This is super cool! Take pics!!!!!

Wait, aren't you in Alaska or Vancouver still?

rick81721

Lothar
I'm generally skittish on top of a step ladder. I could see myself doing this but I would need a solid month of mental preparation to do it. :)

I'm not a fan of heights either and thought I would be terrified on the balloon ride but surprisingly I wasn't scared at all. Something about having the basket around you, huge balloon over your head, slow movement and the silence (except when the burners fire) - amazing experience!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

I've made it back...and will have the phone all fired up for picture taking. was going to try the HG ride tonight - rethinking that.

I'll fire up the strava app, and see what i can get.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I've made it back...and will have the phone all fired up for picture taking. was going to try the HG ride tonight - rethinking that.

I'll fire up the strava app, and see what i can get.

the elevation will look epic.

Patrick

Staff member
the elevation will look epic.

guess i better do it in two segments...if the wind blows us into pa......

better get my flight planning app fired up.

Just heard from Lani, and I'm in. They are looking for two more participants.

You should email Ray - not that i want him to bury me, but he can use the $$ to take us out for beer.

Last edited:

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This sounds like the most madcap and awesome idea for a bike race ever.

Do they discourage the use of GPS navigation on the bike leg?

FWIW balloon flight is the most relaxing form of air travel you could imagine. Since you are almost always flying with zero apparent wind speed it's indescribably quiet...that is except when they fire up the grill.

allygadget

Is it road biking only? Or is it possible to go balls out thru farm fields on Mtn bikes? I am sure roads are much more efficient though

Heard from Lani that the race is full now.

I signed up for the forum just last weekend so next year I'll post notice as soon as it opens up.

GPS is required to verify the landing place was beyond the minimum distance from the take off spot.

Most people use road bikes and as the balloon goes downwind they plan a route back. A really good MTB'r might be able to win it going straight back through the fields!

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm on the waitlist in case anyone backs out tomorrow during the day. Sounds like a blast.

Patrick

Staff member
i'll post a url to track me - just for giggles -
ends up Lani lives about 5 minutes from me on the bike!!

planning on using google app to get back to the start - turn the volume all the way up on the voice guidance. maybe wear one earbud.

anyone think i should swap the gp4ks for gatorskins?

other ideas? (already know to ride faster)

- have some plane pilot experience, so looking at landscape from overhead isn't anything new.

Top Bottom