Biggest crash in stock market history?

Lol, I have two unopened copies kicking around somewhere. I still remember going with my friends to buy them.
I told my dad to buy some. I think he bought 2 or 4 copies, may even still have them.

For a good 10 years he'd joke/bitch about them not going up in value. Like jeez, you accepted an investing tip from a 15 year old and it didn't pan out. $20 for the investing lesson isn't bad.

I told my dad to buy some. I think he bought 2 or 4 copies, may even still have them.

For a good 10 years he'd joke/bitch about them not going up in value. Like jeez, you accepted an investing tip from a 15 year old and it didn't pan out. $20 for the investing lesson isn't bad.

Haha, yeah. I think my brother and our friends bought one each. I bought two because we were gonna open one to read it. Then I decided that I better keep both sealed so I could be twice as rich one day.

Times have changed. For years my wife has been investing in video game companies based on my son's advice of what games were coming out when, and which games are going to be a flop. He's been pretty good at getting her some decent returns.

Reactions: don
Just to get back to this - FINRA is an entity that tracks each individual investors trades. I get their reports as part of my job and have been part of the circulation and review of them. They watch for insider trading, odd trades, etc and have some pretty incredible data at their fingertips. I have personally seen people get nailed on insider trading through these reports. They can tie some amazing stuff together.

It is illegal to coordinate and participate in stock price manipulation. That is very clear in the laws.

It’s great if you are in and out on this stuff on the way up. But there are going to be stories of bag holders and that is when the fun stops and reality sucks. There are going to be some folks who don’t know what is going on and will buy late and when the main players on WSB (who also trade for a living so don’t think these guys are not in it for the money either) pull the plug on the fun, the bag holders will lose. Someone always ends up holding the hot steaming bag of shit and that’s why this stuff is illegal.

Hedge funds who short 140% of the outstanding shares definitely are risking a ton all while pushing stock prices down - too far down which chokes some companies of needed capital (FTR I don’t like shorting) - they will survive this. If people think these billionaires don’t have access to more capital and will short these same stocks on their way back down - and they will go down - and make quadruple of what they were already making already - they are sadly naive IMHO.

By the way - “they” don’t halt trading. Algorithms do. The systems are set up in a way to slow down this kind of volatility. It’s not some room of suits monitoring each stock who are smoking $1k cigars laughing at retail investors all day. It’s an automatic set up - like anti-lock brakes on a car, not a conspiracy. Just a system function built into all trading platforms as required by law.

Once the bag holders are fucked, the SEC will investigate. The Wolf of Wall Street will be repeated. It’s all fun and games until people on the back end lose their shirts and the regulators review what happened. And they take their time. The market is irrational and the regulators are there to try to keep as close to rational as possible.

This “us vs them” shit is getting fucking old. No one is sticking it to the man. It’s about greed on both sides if this is how you choose to play it. There is no Robin Hood; there is no good vs bad here. It’s all about the gains. Capitalism at its worst.
Price manipilulation is illegal until it’s hedge funds that do it.

Price manipilulation is illegal until it’s hedge funds that do it.
No.. it's illegal when they do it too.
There's nothing illegal with shorting a stock.
There's also nothing illegal with squeezing a stock to root out the shorts.

That said, holy fuck, GME is a joke. Sucks for "good guys" who will be stuck holding the bag. It's a $10-12 stock. That's what the company is worth.
Mark Cuban was on CNBC this morning talking about how great this event is. Then at the same time is said he doubt's the company survives.

I hope you made a crap ton of money on this, and got out already. Many folks that were late will loose out bigly.

That said, holy fuck, GME is a joke. Sucks for "good guys" who will be stuck holding the bag. It's a $10-12 stock. That's what the company is worth.
Mark Cuban was on CNBC this morning talking about how great this event is. Then at the same time is said he doubt's the company survives.

Gamestop needs to issue shares now and use the money to pay off their debt. Then they can be a real company again after the dust settles.

How much money did Blockbuster raise when they issued shares at 100x their actual value during the craziest stock squeeze in decades?

yes - but they didn't become a real company because of it. perhaps their debtors were compensated,
and the executives cashed out their positions. how convenient is that?

GME has no viable business model. Games are pre-ordered, and they automatically download on release day.
nobody wants a used controller or headset anymore. used games & consoles can be had for 1/2 the price on ebay - if they are even transferable.
although i have an atari space invaders cartridge that has appreciated since 1983 or so.

and this is why they were shorted.

GME has no viable business model.

Their old business model is not viable. That doesn't mean they cannot pivot, unlike Blockbuster. This doesn't mean I think they'll be successful, and if you had asked me six months ago, I would have said they are gonna go out of business. It's why I didn't put any money on them last year when people first started talking about them on r/wsb. But if they issue shares now, pay off all their debts, and get some capital in the bank, I'm sure those Chewy guys could come up with something.

Last edited:
You are making claims that hedge funds are doing illegal things and so far have literally said nothing in fact.

good luck with your mindset! I wish you the best of luck!
This is total bullshit, brokers limiting buying to let big institutions drive down the price of these stocks. The 1% won’t survive without the middle class. We make their bubbles bigger. Tell me with in all honesty is this legal? I was locked out of my trading account for 3 hours this morning. How about “you can sell your shares but you can’t buy any”? I never said wall st wasn’t smart, just that a large percentage of them are legal scumbags. Ethics class should be mandatory in life...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom