Biggest crash in stock market history?

I almost bought at $10k, 20k, 30k and 40k. But I just know it's gonna drop...
You would be sitting pretty good if you bought in at 10k lol... I leave the real investing up to the people that know what they are doing that's what I'm paying the guy for at least 😂 Im just Gambling small amounts on crazy volatile stuff like bitcoin. The high low swings are pretty nuts though.

You would be sitting pretty good if you bought in at 10k lol... I leave the real investing up to the people that know what they are doing that's what I'm paying the guy for at least 😂 Im just Gambling small amounts on crazy volatile stuff like bitcoin. The high low swings are pretty nuts though.

Bitcoin and the other cryptos actually trade like stocks used to. Using simple technical analysis works and they tend to follow fibonacci retracements decently.

Sidebar....

I'm helping my Mom get the financials sorted after my Dad's passing last year. Thankfully, he was very locked-on and nearly everything was held at Vanguard. Mom is surviving spouse and executor of estate, so things are easy there.

Mom will be 75 next month. No mortgage on the house. Car is paid off and a 2018 model. She gets 50% of my Dad's AT&T pension plus his social security. She can live off that with the exception of replacing the car someday and maybe some vacationing; healthcare costs (AT&T group rate) gets deducted right from pension check with good coverage so that is no concern.

My Dad's Vanguard is WAY too aggressive for her. They were setup when he was younger and still working. They are mostly emerging markets, international, small-cap. There are some value and income funds, but obviously the other stock funds far outpaced the conservative ones in the last 10-20 years.

When I became an agent on the account last year with POA for my Dad, I left everything alone for the time being.

Now that the account/funds are in Mom's name, the cost basis looks like it is reset, so now is the time to reallocate. I want simple. So my Mom can understand, mostly. There are many more choices that when my Dad began investing 40+ years ago!

The old formula of having bond percentage about what your age was (so 25/72 stocks/bonds) seems very conservative. Or is that still the general rule? There are a few 60S/40B balanced funds, both actively managed and index funds, that would seem to fit the bill better, no?

I'll be setting up checkwriting in a MM fund as well, so at least a portion of the account will be liquid for her.

Here are some ideas:

Vanguard Target Retirement 2020, about 50/50 mix

Vanguard Total Bond Market II Index Fund Investor Shares**29.70%
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares29.10%
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Investor Shares20.00%
Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund Investor Shares12.60%
Vanguard Short-Term Inflation-Protected Securities Index Fund8.60%

Vaguard Target Retirement Income, 30S/70B

Vanguard Total Bond Market II Index Fund Investor Shares**37.00%
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares18.00%
Vanguard Short-Term Inflation-Protected Securities Index Fund16.70%
Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund Investor Shares15.70%
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Investor Shares12.60%

Vanguard LifeStrategy Conservative Growth, 40S/60B

Vanguard Total Bond Market II Index Fund Investor Shares†41.80%
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares23.90%
Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund Investor Shares17.50%
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Investor Shares16.80%

I do like that investing in one "fund" in reality gets you diversified into 3 or 4 big funds.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
My Dad (80 yo) has been using Fidelity’s actively managed accounts for years with good results. It’s a lil pricey compared to DIY money management, but it really is set and forget til they call you each quarter to discuss goals and asset allocations.

lately they’ve been saying to not go below 50:50 equities to bonds regardless of age if basic living expenses are covered by the combo of SS, pensions, and any RMDs.

LMK if you want more info I can PM his CFP info.

listen to this guy. He is old and holds.

@Dave Taylor
maybe your prediction is off and it's a few months early? hmmmm
It could be but I think small caps still have a ways to go. AAPL failed today. I am not short but with the 9ema crossing aggressively down theough the 26ema we may see bigbird tumble. TSLA is close but hasn’t crossed over yet(bitcoin probably has them hanging on by a hair). I bet the next big down say for bitcoin and TSLA tumbles.

It could be but I think small caps still have a ways to go. AAPL failed today. I am not short but with the 9ema crossing aggressively down theough the 26ema we may see bigbird tumble. TSLA is close but hasn’t crossed over yet(bitcoin probably has them hanging on by a hair). I bet the next big down say for bitcoin and TSLA tumbles.
All my stocks should fail like AAPL

Performance3 Months1 Year
Performance of S&P 5009.54%15.08%
Performance of AAPL9.37%58.62%
Performance of Industry Index2.33%51.72%

market is going to show strange 1 year returns starting very soon.....

Back
Top Bottom