Biggest crash in stock market history?

THATmanMANNY

Don’t tell that to the 2008-2009 stock market. It’s not all about contributions but earnings too.The only reason it is where it is now is because of Bernanke and Powell printing endless dollas.
I was giving one example of the many. But the 2008 financial crisis is way different then a pandemic affect. The financial systems and investment/retirement funds are not set up like they were pre 2008. Also, in today’s market, earnings have little meaning but some.

And They will keep printing it. America, the “greatest country” on earth is “too big to fail” and you damn as well be sure the government is not going to point the finger at themselves when and if it does. I’m not arguing just my assessment.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I was giving one example of the many. But the 2008 financial crisis is way different then a pandemic affect. The financial systems and investment/retirement funds are not set up like they were pre 2008. Also, in today’s market, earnings have little meaning but some.

And They will keep printing it. America, the “greatest country” on earth is “too big to fail” and you damn as well be sure the government is not going to point the finger at themselves when and if it does. I’m not arguing just my assessment.
Well said. Unfortunately I think we will print ourselves to death. Like I have said in the past...the stock market stopped making new highs in 99 once you remove government money(qe).

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I see many policies which put or keep money in the market -

i.e.
Because of the pandemic, RMDs were cancelled this year - so people who can afford to leave money in the market are not forced to sell. (done)
Proposed - CARES act 2 ?
RMDs may be going from 70 (or year after turning 70) to 72. Again delaying forced w/d - even if just a sell/buy cycle.
Employers with a 401K may be able to start a program where student loan payments are pre-tax, and a 401k match is made.
there are more.

On the other hand - In the old days it was giant pension funds, with a layer of pension managers. Companies made payments
into the system based on some formula of workers/age/expected vesting,etc. It was still programmed money going into the market.
Sometimes it was overfunded, and they got to take some out, sometimes it was underfunded, and they'd balk at making a lump sum payment.

The big difference is people sitting at home bidding up the price of individual stocks. It wasn't that long ago that executing a trade cost $100+
Been a long time since Datek came along and made them $15 (or whatever it was - long time ago) - now it is close to free.

I still can't get my head around bitcoin and its lure. i guess it is the same as paper money. worthless in a market collape.
at least i can wipe my ass with paper bills.

exactly where does one go to pick up their silver and gold at that time?

I think I mentioned I have a friend that has the silver delivered to his house. I wonder if he colors-up when he has enough silver to buy gold?

Ian F

And then you have market days like today... DOW up 262... NASDAQ down 160... In theory the reasons make sense, but it still makes you scratch your head... :shrug:

Last edited:

pkovo

I see many policies which put or keep money in the market -

i.e.
Because of the pandemic, RMDs were cancelled this year - so people who can afford to leave money in the market are not forced to sell. (done)
Proposed - CARES act 2 ?
RMDs may be going from 70 (or year after turning 70) to 72. Again delaying forced w/d - even if just a sell/buy cycle.
Employers with a 401K may be able to start a program where student loan payments are pre-tax, and a 401k match is made.
there are more.

On the other hand - In the old days it was giant pension funds, with a layer of pension managers. Companies made payments
into the system based on some formula of workers/age/expected vesting,etc. It was still programmed money going into the market.
Sometimes it was overfunded, and they got to take some out, sometimes it was underfunded, and they'd balk at making a lump sum payment.

The big difference is people sitting at home bidding up the price of individual stocks. It wasn't that long ago that executing a trade cost $100+
Been a long time since Datek came along and made them $15 (or whatever it was - long time ago) - now it is close to free.

I still can't get my head around bitcoin and its lure. i guess it is the same as paper money. worthless in a market collape.
at least i can wipe my ass with paper bills.

exactly where does one go to pick up their silver and gold at that time?

I think I mentioned I have a friend that has the silver delivered to his house. I wonder if he colors-up when he has enough silver to buy gold?
Datek was $9.99 a trade with a 60 second guarantee or the commission was waived. Worked there in my 20’s which feels like a lifetime ago.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Manipulation is bad. Not a coincedamce he sold 4 cents from the all time high. Just how the rich get richer.

Did you read the link you posted?

"Through our stock plan administrator, Dr. Bourla authorized the sale of these shares on August 19, 2020, provided the stock was at least at a certain price," a Pfizer spokesperson told Business Insider.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Did you read the link you posted?

"Through our stock plan administrator, Dr. Bourla authorized the sale of these shares on August 19, 2020, provided the stock was at least at a certain price," a Pfizer spokesperson told Business Insider.
Yes I did. And I believe every last bit of this is coordinated. It’s not councidence what day the vaccine news was released. Money is the root of all evil.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Yes I did. And I believe every last bit of this is coordinated. It’s not councidence what day the vaccine news was released. Money is the root of all evil.
I work on this side of things. It’s not coordinated or a conspiracy. The SEC filing is required on the transaction, and the stock price hit his limit.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I work on this side of things. It’s not coordinated or a conspiracy. The SEC filing is required on the transaction, and the stock price hit his limit.
Yes, the sale was planned. I just find it unbelievable that it coordinated perfectly with the press release/all time high stock price.

THATmanMANNY

I don't care. I only read the headline and moved on. This is the new news.
I will only care if I am $5M richer!

coincidence, hell yes. They make insider trading laws but yea I'm sure there is a way around it and people walk that fine line.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It’s not councidence what day the vaccine news was released.
No shit. A predetermined sale at a minimum price. As in if the stock gets to x px, sell y shares.
If the press release isn’t issued, and the stock doesn’t pop, the shares don’t hit the minimum price.

w_b

How come our government can operate ad infinitum at a loss, but the avg ‘murican Joe needs to balance his budget?

what’s every citizen’s share of the US debt? Like $300k for erry man woman and child? Prolly more now. I’m sick of it.

that’s like a 3br house, in the Northeast, for EVERYONE. 4 houses for a family of 4. WTF. Unnecessary.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
How come our government can operate ad infinitum at a loss, but the avg ‘murican Joe needs to balance his budget?

what’s every citizen’s share of the US debt? Like $300k for erry man woman and child? Prolly more now. I’m sick of it.

that’s like a 3br house, in the Northeast, for EVERYONE. 4 houses for a family of 4. WTF. Unnecessary.
Wanna be sick? If Jeff Bezos liquidated his net worth he could buy a $250k house for 500,000 + families

Reactions: w_b
Top Bottom