big thanx to this forum.....

PatrickBrown

I just wanted to give a big thanks to the members of this forum. for helping get motivated to get my fat ass on the bike again. through the constructive criticism, through the fun wisecracks, and through friendly encouragement you guys as a whole. the cycling bug has REALLY bitten me super hard.

big thanks guys. I am definately back and here to stay. now just getting back into some decent fitness is my goal for nowwith a great group to do it with.

cya soon

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
thanks pat. you're welcome. :D

i guess you could call what we say here "constructive". maybe not in heythorp's case but...

my story is pretty similar. i was a powerlifter and 250. i wanted to start doing some cardio a coupla years ago to try and slim up. i got on my old bike, went for a ride and was like 'huh, i need a new bike'. i hadn't so much as looked at bikes and hopped in the car and headed to my LBS. they said buy the fuel so i did. i'd been doing business with them for 18 years prior so i trusted them.

i suffered A LOT that first year...at the tourne no less. i remember the first time i did my five mile loop only stopping like once how thrilled i was. then i rode with scotty, alex and albert. boy was that eye opening (scott, thanks again for fixing my rim :D). the following year (last year) i did my first race. even more eye opening.

anyway, here i sit almost two years later, 40 lbs. lighter (and dropping) and training for the 40 mile darkhorse race. i'm at the point now where not only have i put in more than a few hours on a spin bike (which i vowed NEVER to do), but i'm also (GASP!) riding the road...and (DOUBLE GASP!!) enjoying it. the hardest thing for me has been been transitioning my mindset from goon meathead weight guy to cardio guy. not all that easy to rewire the body after 10 years but i'm getting there.

at any rate, good luck pat. eventually it gets fun.

Last edited:

PatrickBrown

wooohooo! welcome back! riding bikes is sooo much fun.

it is so much fun for sure. its going to be hard for me to try to keep it simple. hard to keep from trying to be super fast.... my old riding/racing partners were chrisG and chuck chillout. so I have alot of ground to make up ..... a long road ahead of me to be at the fitness level I want to be. especially since I havent ridden the bike or done ANY kind of exercising in 7 years. but I'm up for it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
it is so much fun for sure. its going to be hard for me to try to keep it simple. hard to keep from trying to be super fast.... my old riding/racing partners were chrisG and chuck chillout. so I have alot of ground to make up ..... a long road ahead of me to be at the fitness level I want to be. especially since I havent ridden the bike or done ANY kind of exercising in 7 years. but I'm up for it.

Don't keep it simple. Just do what you need to do to have the best time you can. If that means going nuts, then go nuts. Given that you drag race now I'm thinking that simple might not be the recipe for your particular cake. Just bake up whatever you need to and have a blast.

Try not to run into any rocks this time though. There's my pearl of wisdom. I'm an endless oyster for this stuff.

PatrickBrown

Don't keep it simple. Just do what you need to do to have the best time you can. If that means going nuts, then go nuts. Given that you drag race now I'm thinking that simple might not be the recipe for your particular cake. Just bake up whatever you need to and have a blast.

Try not to run into any rocks this time though. There's my pearl of wisdom. I'm an endless oyster for this stuff.

yeah I'm sure you are right, its going to be impossible to keep it simple. I'm going for the hills.....

can I change my sig yet or avatar yet?

PatrickBrown

nice.... found this old thread from 2007 about my previous failed comeback. but the cool thing is that my current comeback is still all "thanks" to this forum!

it has led me to this..

PatrickBrown 2.0

and still at it

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
To me, this is one of the best things already about 2012. Riding with Pat (and Mike Merritt and Chuck) is so important in my personal riding history that it can't be overestimated. The four of us will ride again together this year, for the first time since 1999. And it's gonna be awesome. :D

PatrickBrown

To me, this is one of the best things already about 2012. Riding with Pat (and Mike Merritt and Chuck) is so important in my personal riding history that it can't be overestimated. The four of us will ride again together this year, for the first time since 1999. And it's gonna be awesome. :D

I couldn't agree more Chris. I am dying to get out there and ride with the group again. I feel as if I could hold on for a ChrisG easy day road ride for 2 hours, but I'll hold off a bit longer so I dont slow the group too much :)

2012 is definitely the year!!

PatrickBrown

were you at 6 Mile this afternoon?

if you were asking me.... Nope, sure wasnt

If ChrisG is getting all teary-eyed, I am too. Kudos.

the love in here is unexplainable

4550824813_Love_One_Another_xlarge.jpeg

:D

Top Bottom