Big News Ladies

J

JerseyGirl

OK so the word is out-- my hubby Bozizle and I are going to be parents!!!!!!!! That's right ladies: I am pregnant!!:) We found out this wonderful surprise last week and are still in shock. Due date Aug 1st. Obviously I will be unable to race but I still want to keep in shape (of some sorts). Brad and I still use the total body trainer and we have our cycle trainers rocking out. I know I have to be careful with some exercises but I should still keep active. ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Well I am soooooooo excited I just wanted to share the news. Now at 8:45 it is literally time for me to go to bed. Being pregnant sure makes you tired. -- O HOW I MISS MY MT BIKE ALREADY!!!

walter

Fourth Party
I'm not a lady but I got this on the new post link. Congrats to you guys and best of luck!!!!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
dang. i clicked on the thread expecting hot pics of chubby news anchors....

congratulations! tell mr b i'm having a beer in both of your honor right now!

NJ Jess

Yippie!

Congrads their girl! It's wonderful news. What a journey the three of you have begun!

As for exercise,...get a heart rate monitor since you want to avoid too high of a HR. Base mile mode for the next 9 months with yoga would be great to keep in shape. Remember, your bodies hormones to "grow" a baby must also relax your muscles to stretch. Mind your joints, ligaments, and tendons. PS,..start taken you prenatal vitamin. Talk more to you later,..congrads!

Shaggz

A strong 7
it's gonna be hard to find a team jersey to go over that belly :hmmm:

congrats, that is awesome!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Talk about hitting the nail on the head :)

I got an inside source :)

Incidentally, that inside source also told me some of the hair-brained ideas her spouse had about how to squeeze in some races next year. Lordy lord man, getting 4 hours of sleep is going to be a big accomplishment for the first 2 months. You'll be happy to be riding once a week by then! Enjoy it, it's great stuff. Tiring, but great.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Congrats to you guys!!

My advise is to just stay active, even during that first trimester when you're always tired and that last trimester when all you want to do is eat. I stayed in great shape for my first two pregnancies and not my third, and there was a huge, huge difference in postpartum recovery with the third, not to mention how bad it stinks to diet and try to lose weight.
My first two pregnancies I did lots and lots of yoga, lifted weights, and ran with speed walking in the last trimester. You'll hear tons of different advise, but just listen to your body, it knows best. I did sit-ups way past the point I was 'supposed' too, but I felt very uncomfortable lifting weights above my head to work back or shoulders, it just didn't feel right so I didn't do it? I didn't have a trainer so I was off the bike entirely. Keep riding your trainer until the day you delivery, just use your HR monitor. Three ladies at my gym took spin class everyday up until the morning they gave birth and they felt great.

I was off the bike for 5 years....3 pregnancies with non-stop nursing in between (for some reason I never felt comfortable riding while nursing). But now I'm back riding at least twice a week, if not more and will be racing next year. I know it stinks giving up something that you love, but it's just temporary and giving up a year (or 2 or 3+) of something you love is no sacrifice when you're getting a baby in return.

PM me is you want to talk more or have any questions.

Sherry

adventurechick

ACOG guidlines

I got this from a book "American College of Sports Medicine's Guidlines for Exercise Testing and Prescription". These guidlines are from 1997 when I was an Exercise Science major in college, so you may want to check and make sure nothing has changed since then. The book lists the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommendations for exercise in pregnancy which are listed below. Kind of dry and technical, but I just figured I'd send them along. Also, I remember that you don't want to get your HR too high (but I don't see guidlines for this) and monitor your RPE (rate of perceived exertion) and you want to avoid activities that cause lactic acid to be released, which would be your anaerobic activities and high intensity aerobic activities. Aerobic is fine as long as you keep your intensity low to moderate and light weight training is also ok. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I also have some friends in the field that could probably give you more updated info.

1)During pregnancy, women can continue to exercise and derive health benefits even from mild to moderate exercise routines. Regular exercise (at least 3 times a week) is perferable to intermittent activity.

2)Women should avoid exercise in the supine position after the first trimester. Such a position is associated with decreased cardiac output in most pregnant women. Because the remaining cardiac output will be preferentially distributed away from splanchnic beds (including the uterus) during vigorous exercise, such regimens are best avoided during pregnancy. Prolonged periods of motionless standing should also be avoided.

3)Women should be aware of the decreased oxygen available for aerobic exercise during pregnancy. They should be encouraged to modify the intensity of their exercise according to maternal symptoms. Pregnant women should stop exercising when fatigued and not exercise to exhaustion. Weightbearing exercises may under some circumstances be continued at intensities similar to those prior to pregnancy throughout pregnancy. Non-weightbearing exercises, such as cycling or simming will minimize the risk of injury and facilitate the continuation of exercise during pregnancy.

4)Morphologic changes in pregnancy should serve as a relative contraindication to types of exercise tin which loss of balance could be detrimental to maternal or fetal well-being, expecially in the third trimester. Further, any type of exercise involving the potential for even mild abdominal trauma should be avoided.

5)Pregnancy requires an additional 300 kcal/day in order to maintain metabolic homeostasis. Thus, women who exercise during pregnancy should be particularly careful to ensure an adequate diet.

6)Pregnant women who exercise in the first trimester should augment heat dissipation by ensuring adequate hydration, appropriate clothing, and optimal environmental surroundings during exercise.

7)Many of the physiological and morphological changes of pregnancy persist four to six weeks postpartum. Thus, prepregnancy exercise routines should be resumed gradually based upon a woman's physical capability.

REASONS TO DISCONTINUE EXERCISE
-any signs of bloody discharge
-any gush of fluid (premature rupture of membranes)
-sudden swelling of the ankles, hands, or face
-persistent severe headaches and/or visual disturbances
-dizziness, faintness
-swelling, pain, and redness in the calf of one leg (phlebitis)
-elevation of pulse rate or blood pressure that persists after exercise
-excessive fatigue, palpitations, chest pain
-unexplained abdominal pain
-insufficient weight gain (<1kg/month during the last two trimesters)
1kg=2.2lbs

OTHER CONTRAINDICATIONS TO EXERCISE
-eclampsia, pre-eclampsia, severe anemia, significant infection
-pregnancy induced hypertension (high blood pressure)
-pre-term rupture of membrane
-pre-term labor
-persistent second to third trimester bleeding

OK so the word is out-- my hubby Bozizle and I are going to be parents!!!!!!!! That's right ladies: I am pregnant!!:) We found out this wonderful surprise last week and are still in shock. Due date Aug 1st. Obviously I will be unable to race but I still want to keep in shape (of some sorts). Brad and I still use the total body trainer and we have our cycle trainers rocking out. I know I have to be careful with some exercises but I should still keep active. ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Well I am soooooooo excited I just wanted to share the news. Now at 8:45 it is literally time for me to go to bed. Being pregnant sure makes you tired. -- O HOW I MISS MY MT BIKE ALREADY!!!

Congrats and good luck! Let us know when the little one is ready for his or her first bike. That baby is going to be one bad rider by age 3...

J

JerseyGirl

Thanks for all the congratulations and good advice. NO joke I wish I could register for the kids first MT bike already. Brad and I are just trying to figure out how soon you can go backpacking with the little one. All is well so far. Love having the cycle trainers set up. I was really jealous of Brad the other day when he went riding. I hiked in the woods first to snap some pictures of him. When he went riding bye I was totally envious. At least I know by this fall I will be hitting up the trails.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Congrats. My wife and I have been trying for a couple of years now and we're still trying. You are blessed. Now you have to look to get a trailer.:)

Top Bottom