Bicycle Repair Stand Worth It? Regrets? Appreciation?

JonFern

Formerly: send jon ferns
I've had a Bikehand/Foudation stand for a few years, it was off e-bay and cheap (sub $100) bought with the intention of replacing it with a proper one (PT or Feedback) but it's been doing it's job flawlessly so I never felt the need to replace it. It's a tripod, I think they're only selling 2 legged ones now (which I think is better).
I've been using a Bikehand 2-leg stand for a few years and it has been great. Picked it up on Amazon for <$100

Karate Monkey

My 'quick' stand is a pair of hooks ("bicycle lift") in the ceiling. It suffices for everything except specific services.

My 'normal' repair stand is a bottom-bracket Feedback. It is as sturdy mounting as possible, and makes fork services/dropper routing a breeze. Great for bicycles that have deep aero tubes, or are questionably heavy to hang from a dropper post. The fact that it can hold a bare frame with no issues is nice...and though it was initially awkward coming from traditional 'american'-style stands, I've come to appreciate being able to wrap bars without the front wheel swaying. For those who need to, it is excellent for installing forks/stems/handlebars on hidden-cable bikes. The only 'ding' against it is that you cannot adjust the holding angle of the stand without using velcro/toe straps, unlike other common type stand from Park, Unior, or Elite.

The wood stand up top is similar to an attachment that Minoura sells for work stands, as well as common 'bike repair' stations sold by Fixation, etc. It is unsuitable for anything other than gentle repairs like changing a flat, adjusting derailleurs/brakes, etc.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
We’ve been stocking the feedback stands for years. It’s well worth the ask and they really last forever. That said it’s likely worth the $ for the better version with the pop-release clamp.

it’s worth mentioning that these should only be used to clap a post. A ham-fisted used can easily crush a carbon or alloy frame.

one piece crank

I’m firmly in the “hang the bike” camp. Separate hanging hooks on the h-bar and seat, or a small piece of rope through the frame for droppers. I’ve done every service possible this way, for decades.

That said, I also have an older, discontinued Park foldable work stand, and it is a fantastic alternative. Easy to use, stable, super light and packs really small (think storage not transport), and can be set-up anywhere.

mfennell

I’m firmly in the “hang the bike” camp. Separate hanging hooks on the h-bar and seat, or a small piece of rope through the frame for droppers. I’ve done every service possible this way, for decades.

I've seen shops use the hanging method too but I'll never give up my Ultimate (now Feedback) stand. It's one of those purchases that make you vaguely annoyed that you didn't make it years before.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Feedback here also.

I just hang my bike(s) on the stand by the saddle, almost never clamp it in. I mean maybe 1x per year so to me the Inspector Gadget clamp is not worth it.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have the older version of this guy, the crank closed clamp is kinda eh, but it works and holds just fine.

before they put the wing nuts on it and its solid, i did go out and buy the park tool wall mount rack with the cam clamp on it tho which is now bolted to the support column in my basement, much more betterer since it cant move

Last edited:

goldsbar

Bikehand stand. Very light so somewhat portable if needed. Not nearly bike shop quality, but good enough and the clamp is very versatile. I wouldn't try to remove DUB cranks on this thing, but you probably shouldn't have a bike in a stand for that operation anyway. Good for everything else.

thegock

Love the Park Tool old school with the rain bike clamped in:

PARK TOOL PXL_20210901_123322164-01.jpg

Bought it used on eBay in 2005(?) Doe it's not bolted to the floor, ala LBS, it weighs about 68 lbs. with the steel base, so you won't knock it over if you bump into it. It replaced the "ropes from the basement rafter" system that I had used before.

onetracker

View attachment 166173

Bought it used on eBay in 2005(?) Doe it's not bolted to the floor, ala LBS, it weighs about 68 lbs. with the steel base, so you won't knock it over if you bump into it. It replaced the "ropes from the basement rafter" system that I had used before.
Dude, don’t toke up in that area or you might set the whole place a-blaze 😀

skully

Park tools camp here .....I have a prs-15 that I got a smoking Craig's list deal on ...and I love it ! It folds up , so it can be hung on the wall and out of the way when not in use ...when in use its super sturdy and adjustable. I love that I can adjust the height of the bike when it's in the stand ( my old stand couldn't do that ) .....great investment for sure

JerseyPete

View attachment 166173

Looks a little different compared to this garage:
20210512_095429.jpg

@rick81721 and @thegock
:)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I run an Ultimate at home. The head is the best out there IMO, the turn dial ones are poop.

one piece crank

I've seen shops use the hanging method too but I'll never give up my Ultimate (now Feedback) stand. It's one of those purchases that make you vaguely annoyed that you didn't make it years before.
I grew-up building BMX bikes by hanging them in the basement - old habits and techniques are tough to change. My old Park stand is something like the discontinued PRS-5, and will probably outlive me. If I had the need I'd check out Feedback (Ultimate)...

Gene

The Dancing Machine
We’ve been stocking the feedback stands for years. It’s well worth the ask and they really last forever. That said it’s likely worth the $ for the better version with the pop-release clamp.

it’s worth mentioning that these should only be used to clap a post. A ham-fisted used can easily crush a carbon or alloy frame.

@jdog I'll call the shop when you open to see which models you have in stock. Rather buy local than REI.

Top Bottom