Bib Shorts

Shaggz

A strong 7
OK - I am starting to see the merits of using cycling shorts as opposed to mtb baggies on the road bike, but are there advantages to wearing bib shorts as opposed to a traditional spandex short?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
OK - I am starting to see the merits of using cycling shorts as opposed to mtb baggies on the road bike, but are there advantages to wearing bib shorts as opposed to a traditional spandex short?
No plumber's crack. Big advantage for those who follow.:D

J-Dro

I hear the straps rub against your nipples when you peddle, making them nice and hard.

OK I'll shut up, I don't own a road bike.:D

ytc100

Here's an advantage. Sexy.

Here's an advantage. Sexy.

You know, I have to agree with you there. My BF seems to prefer the bibs to his shorts or baggies. You might have been joking with the "sexy" comment but I do find them oddly attractive...maybe I have just grown accustomed to the somewhat odd attire cyclists wear and now find it attractive instead of weird.

To Heythorp's point, the whole completely undressing thing when you have to pee has got to suck, but I cannot really sympathize since women have to go through similarly complicated processes and assume unaccustomed positions in order to pee in the woods.

I do like the idea of a seamless waist, especially for very long or hot rides. A waistband, no matter how smooth, can begin to dig and chafe. As for nipple-rash, if its a concern, try rubbing some Chamois-butr or Body-Glide on them before donning the bibs, or wear a tight fit tank top or other base layer under the bibs to prevent chafing.

ChrisG

Pros

they are more comfortable. You dont have a waste strap that "digs" into your body.

Cons: in order to take a leak you have to get undressed. Jersey has to come off then take down the strap to leak. Big PITA.

Everyone I know that wears them wont go back to shorts and I dont know anyone who has worn them and said they suck.

Bibs are not just for the road.
Everything above is true, in my experience, except the "taking a leak" part. I've never had to take off the jersey and straps to pee, and I've been wearing a wide variety of brands of bibs for a long time.

Non-bibs aren't even an option for me.

ArmyOfNone

ill take bibs over shorts any day. for all those reasons mentioned. they are just so much more comfy.

I seem to manage alright on the pee breaks.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i prefer bibs, but only have one pair that are on the way out. peeing is easy enough, just sort of curl up your upper body, push hips up, stretch front of bibs down and bring 'appendage' over the top. i've never had to disrobe to pee wearing bibs.

ArmyOfNone

i prefer bibs, but only have one pair that are on the way out. peeing is easy enough, just sort of curl up your upper body, push hips up, stretch front of bibs down and bring 'appendage' over the top. i've never had to disrobe to pee wearing bibs.

so eloquent you are sean

ChrisG

The real adventure is trying to pee off of the bike in a road race.

The pros often have to do this, and even us lowly amateurs occasionally find themselves in a long enough race that it becomes an issue.

In the State Championship road race a few years ago, I thought I'd just about die if I didn't take a leak, and we had perhaps 40+ miles remaining. I think I tried 3 times, immediately following the feed zone, when the pack was taking it a little easier.

I'd drift to the back, roll up one leg of my shorts, and try to let fly as I coasted along. Apparently the car with the USCF marshalls following was enough to shut down my functions, because I just couldn't get things to work, and spent the remainder of the race in agony.

I did manage to be the first guy through the last turn, in hopes of setting up a teammate who was in the process of winning the Cat 3 Cup that season, but then all I worried about was getting across the line w/o pissing my pants.

So the bibs were the least of my troubles.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
for the record, i'm refering to bib knickers, which are the only cycling bibls i'm familiar with. i didn't take into accnt the possibility of rolling up a shorts leg....

PedalPaddles

I'll never go back to regular shorts. I agree with all the previously mentioned reasons. Bib are more comfy on the road and especially in the woods where I tend to move a round on the bike more. The bibs never get twisted around or sag like regular shorts and it's nice to have a little coverage over the "plumber's gap" area. It's really cool to wear the straps OVER your jersey. A way cool look.

PatrickBrown

100 years ago when I was riding and racing regularly, both of the teams I was with for road and mountain gave the option of bibs. I tried it out.... and neever went back. now after getting back on the bike, and 4 rides in all I used was regular bike shorts. and they feel terrible. I'm going back to bibs next ride and forever lol

but since I like to be on the different end of the spectrum, I'm definately going to rock the bib straps OVER the jersey as peddlepaddles said. it sounds genious :)

Pat

anrothar

entirely thrilled
straps over the jersey isn't so bad with ones where the straps and lowers are one piece. the ones with a straight top to the lowers and straps just look completely retarted over a jersey.

bruce.b

Dickwad
>>i prefer bibs, but only have one pair that are on the way out. peeing is easy enough, just sort of curl up your upper body, push hips up, stretch front of bibs down and bring 'appendage' over the top. i've never had to disrobe to pee wearing bibs.<<

Someone should get a picture of this. For some odd reason it makes me think of the zipper scene in There's Something About Mary.

Haven't you guys ever heard of riding kilts? I prefer the Balmoral or a Manley Richardson, but some of you more delicate types might prefer to go with a 5 Yard Tartan or even a fashion kilt. Depends on the look you want. Makes peeing a breeze (no pun intended). Use a brooks leather saddle with these, but go easy with the saddle butter.

http://www.scotwebstore.com/landing/kilts?referrer=g11781&gclid=CLqsmZPbiIwCFSgRGgodpmAbBg

bruce boysen

Top Bottom