Bethlehem, pa

Glancing Aft

I'm going to be spending my weekend in Bethlehem, PA and providing the weather isn't a complete crapfest on Sunday I'd like to get a ride in. I know there's a bunch of parks within a short drive and I'm looking to get about a 2 hr ride in. Any suggestions? Motionbased links are always appreciated :D

syadasti

Wet Rag
About an 1-1.25 hrs away is Prompton Dam, Merli Sarnoski State Park (AKA Fell Mountain), and the brand new MMP trail system.

Glancing Aft

I do want to check out Fell Mountain at some point, but it might be a bit far.

How is Jim Thorpe in wet conditions? I've heard it's techy stuff?

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Ride

Funny that all the suggestions are for places that will have more snow than here or Bethlehem, plus they are all an hour plus drive! I doubt the trail conditions will be any good this weekend, but if for some reason they are check out Sals (great single track made by bikers!), or go to Lehigh (more rocks than you know what to do with). Then there is South Mnt in Emmaus, right around the corner.

These are just a few places to get in a good ride. Check out the VMB (http://bikevmb.com/?q=node) web site for more info and post up for a guide, great bunch of folks!

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
check out the valley mountain bikers board. my sister is on that board. depending on what you are looking to ride id say check out salsbury if you want tech stuff or you can ride at jordan or jacobsburg if you want a little something for everyone.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
there was actually a great article in bike mag a few months ago (the east coast issue i believe) that wrote up a bethlehem ride. looked killer.
stop by the tally-ho on 4th st in south bethlehem (lehigh campus) for great beers and eats. also play it again is a killer record shop a few doors down from the tally ho.

dmc123

I've been to Sals a few times and it is well worth it, especially if you are right in town. I would recommend doing the loop you show counter clock wise. I can't tell if this loop incorporates the boulder trail, but I would not do it in this weather. It is very hard under the best conditions. Generally the place is pretty rocky, so watch out for slick rocks. If you want a decent map, go the the valley mountain bikers web site. If you sign up on the web site, they give you a readable map of the park (I believe it is in the photos section)

euphoria

sals

Well, so you prolly are going skiing, but for next time, when at sals and following the gps plot you linked to, right around mile 5.2 or so, make a right onto the purple trail (aka girly man trail). It will climb a bit more then wind back down to hit the blue again. One of the newer trails there, fun and fast but a bit rough. Once at the blue intersection, and as long as its dry like dmc suggests, make a left, actually going backwards on the gps plot a bit, then make a sharp right not more than a few hundred feet. This will put you on the boulder trail and following the gps plot again. If your looking to skip the boulder trail, jsut stay to the right on the blue after the purple which will bring you down to the red trail then the road. Either way, after you cross the road and go through the pines, make a sharp right jsut before the trails goes down and to the left. This will put you on the newer sticker hell extension. Steep fun rollercoaster ride and finishes up back up on the red, so make sharp right to continue on the gps plot. All in all one loop may not be 2hrs, but its a fun ride for sure. Of course you can always do it backwards after the first loop :puke: Also as Bob and the mean irish dude suggested, check out the vmb website for lots of other places to ride.

Glancing Aft

Due to a sleet/rain/hail storm sunday morning we didn't make it out to Sal's. Thanks everyone for the feedback though and hopefully I'll make it up there soon! Seems like it should be a great area for biking!

Last edited:

J-Dro

Salsbury... thumbs up

I made the trek out to Bethlehem PA today to check out Sal's. Totally worth the trip if you're anywhere near Rt 78. You know how you can just tell that a trail was designed and built by mountain bikers? Well this place has that trait in spades. Techy and flowy all wrapped up in a well marked trail system.

A big shout out to the Valley Mountain Bike gang.
icon14.gif

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Damn, Euphoria has been trying to get me to go out there for 6 months now. I could actually ride there via the tow path from my parents house. I should do that someday soon.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Damn, Euphoria has been trying to get me to go out there for 6 months now. I could actually ride there via the tow path from my parents house. I should do that someday soon.

And Bill (euphoria) is always ready to lead a ride there. I think they may even do Friday night rides... (not sure if they still do)
Jeff is right....this place is sweet.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Its on my short list and should be as my daughters live right next to it. Need to keep my Pa. summer rides going. Prompton may be next week stay tune...

Mare

Sals is on my list and I plan to get there in the very near future. Can't wait to check it out!!!

euphoria

Friday night Sals rides will be starting back up soon, leaving from Cutters Bike shop. I'll post up here when they get rollin again. Either way, I'd be happy to show ya'll round anytime. Even if I cant make it, the trail map is pretty easy to follow and the trails are well marked. It jsut flows better knowing where your going and not stopping at the trail intersctions or always looking at the map.

Last edited:

Mare

Friday night Sals rides will be starting back up soon, leaving from Cutters Bike shop. I'll post up here when they get rollin again. Either way, I'd be happy to show ya'll round anytime. Even if I cant make it, the trail map is pretty easy to follow and the trails are well marked. It jsut flows better knowing where your going and not stopping at the trail intersctions or always looking at the map.

Do you know what time do they typically start? I might be able to do that sometime :) Although weekends are easier so I may take you up on that tour!

euphoria

Do you know what time do they typically start? I might be able to do that sometime :) Although weekends are easier so I may take you up on that tour!

im prolly gonna start that back up shortly after the bear creek mass finals. usually posted to head out from the shop around 6 or 7, so lights may be required. nobody gets dropped and pace is usually determined by who rides but you still may want to try to get out there before that in the daylight so you have an idea of the trails/terrain.

Top Bottom