Best type of flat pedal pins

JPark

I have ridden all the types of pins, they all do the same thing, being help keep your foot on or shred your shin. Pedal concave has way more to do with your feet staying on the pedals.
The concavity is a good point, which brings up another question.
Some pedals achieve their concave shape with the pedal body being concave, others have a flat body with longer pins at the ends and shorter pins in the middle.
Equal performance?

mtn

Guaranteed to keep your foot on the pedal better and rarely have to worry about a shin ding
7182ef12-1b80-4cda-b6d3-5cb0cecbb631
And how do you plan to nac nac while clipped in?

moose35

I love the Chester's also. I really like the fact that you can shorten the pins. With a good pair of flats you can basically run the pins at half their height and still have great grip.
I've had 1 slightly bad pedal strike with the grub screw type that wasn't pretty. I would avoid that type of pin

serviceguy

Some pedals achieve their concave shape with the pedal body being concave, others have a flat body with longer pins at the ends and shorter pins in the middle.
Equal performance?
I don't know but I have three pairs of these...they have it all, adjustable set screw pins, concave profile...and I still sucks at bunny hopping...
DMR V12 pedals.jpg

one piece crank

Equal performance?

No question, a Concave platform is better 11 out of 10 times.

One of my son’s bikes has chesters, and while they bite, they still feel flat (‘cause they are).
chester-jpg.80049

Concave gives me a foot feel no other pedal can. These are the best pedals ever made, not many pins but super concave. Your shoes stick to them like glue, but you can easily adjust foot position.

shimano_dxa-jpg.80050

Last edited:

Karate Monkey

Equal performance?

Not even close. As some one else alluded, you can ride a concave pedal with no pins, and not come off. Good luck with the opposite.

The new [plastic] Deity's look good, but we'll have to see when they are widely available.

Chester's/their ilk are the best-of-the-okay, but convex pedals are a plague that must be stamped out.

$0.02

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I mostly ride clipped in.. But these are what i'd go for if I were riding flats:

JPark

Because of this thread I hit buy on those Issi thumps. See what happens. Dont start talking best all around (trail/park) 29er 2.5 tires.
I've been running the Maxxis Assegai front and rear. They are definitely better than the bald DHR2s they replaced. I think they do corner better than even non-bald DHR2s.
What's really cool is you can say, "Hey, I'm an Ass-Guy" :)

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been running the Maxxis Assegai front and rear. They are definitely better than the bald DHR2s they replaced. I think they do corner better than even non-bald DHR2s.
What's really cool is you can say, "Hey, I'm an Ass-Guy" :)
Lol Same tires I am running Also I'm an ass guy too

jklett

I don't know but I have three pairs of these...they have it all, adjustable set screw pins, concave profile...and I still sucks at bunny hopping...
View attachment 129867
I run the same ones. I've ground some of the pins down on rocks and they're like $2 for 100 at McMaster/Carr. I rarely slip with them(even when pins are missing) but they definitely will leave a mark.

On a side note, I never had the triple traps but the regular bear traps grate flesh pretty good too. Your feet also stick to them like glue, I'm wondering how they'd be on a mountain bike?

serviceguy

I run the same ones. I've ground some of the pins down on rocks and they're like $2 for 100 at McMaster/Carr.
Yep, SS M4x8 flat tip set screws will do the business. And if you can always by M4x6 if you want them less protruding. But they're $3.64 for 25 pcs...

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I mostly ride clipped in.. But these are what i'd go for if I were riding flats:

I've been running flats again recently and really enjoying the learning experience.

Currently using OneUp Composites, but if I was to ever commit to flats long-term, the Yoshimura pedals have been high on my list since I first saw them.

Karate Monkey

Not even close. As some one else alluded, you can ride a concave pedal with no pins, and not come off. Good luck with the opposite.

The new [plastic] Deity's look good, but we'll have to see when they are widely available.

Chester's/their ilk are the best-of-the-okay, but convex pedals are a plague that must be stamped out.

$0.02

Money where my mouth is--I bought a couple of pairs of Deftraps. Initial impressions: not meaningfully thicker than Chesters, and if you aren't already clipping pedals when leaned over, you're not likely to get these. The platform is quite a bit larger around the perimeter than Chesters, due to the rectangular-vs-hexagonal shape.

The pins are longer, and they easily grab my shoes. I'll probably back them out a bit/remove some, but for now, I'll likely ride them as is to establish a baseline. Both sets of pedals came with the spindle seal running on the surface of the pedal body, which didn't make much/any sense to me. I poked the 'skirt' back into the pedal body, where it will function as a seal.

They came with a discount code for 10% off, if anyone else is interested: "DEITY-MANIA".

mtbiker87

Ride these for awhile
p-111-bk.jpg
I still have a pair of these ! Ryan has the right of it though. Back in my BMX days, the backs of calves occasionally looked like I spent some time ye 'ol iron maiden, but my shins went scar free.

mtbiker87

No question, a Concave platform is better 11 out of 10 times.

One of my son’s bikes has chesters, and while they bite, they still feel flat (‘cause they are).
chester-jpg.80049

Concave gives me a foot feel no other pedal can. These are the best pedals ever made, not many pins but super concave. Your shoes stick to them like glue, but you can easily adjust foot position.

shimano_dxa-jpg.80050
Hey ! I know that bike ! Hope he's enjoying it !

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I bought a couple of pairs of Deftraps.
As mentioned above, I'm currently on OneUp composites, which fall into the "convex" category. Prior to those I was on the old Saints; the OneUp's felt like a huge improvement.

I'm a little curious as to whether or not the slightly convex shape of the Deftraps would feel like a legit improvement under my foot, given I've only recently started with the flats. I may need to give them a shot.

Though it remains to be seen if I'm gonna stick with flats for the long-term or eventually go back to SPD's.

Top Bottom