Best tire for rocks & roots?

scotth

I'm looking for a tire that would be suited for Chimney Rock and Ringwood type riding, what do you think is a good rock and root type tire?

Regards,

Scott

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Kenda Nevegal 2.1
Kenda Blue Groove 2.1
Kenda Excavators 2.1
Maxxis Ignitor 2.3
Maxxis ADvantage 2.3
Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3
Hutchinson Toro 2.3 and I'm sure plenty more from WTB and other brands.

Not sure how much knowledge you have of MTB tires, but if you're ordering online, be aware that Maxxis makes their tires on the small side and Kenda makes them big. A 2.3 Ignitor is the same size as a 2.1 Nevegal. If you don't race XC, a 2.3 (from most brands) is normally great but will obviously weigh more. Unless you're racing, the bigger fatter tire is usually worth the weight penalty.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I was very pleased with the Conti Mt king 2.4 on the back today. Very good tire by me.

j

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I think the Nevgal sidewall is too thin for rocks, you might want to stay away from that.

BiknBen

I've never found one tire's tread pattern to be better than any other. IMO, Rubber is rubber. I believe that a tire with a higher volume of air, which allows for lower pressure, will provide the best results. Run the air pressure as low as you can for your riding terrain.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I think the Nevgal sidewall is too thin for rocks, you might want to stay away from that.

I just got a nice cut in the side of mine from Ringwood Saturday.

If you aren't too picky and looking to be thrifty the Panaracer Fire XC aren't bad either. I used them for a couple of years and expected a nice performance boost when paying more for the more recommended Nevegals but don't really notice anything better about them.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
+1 on the Panaracer Fire XC.
I have been using them forever and everywhere (I mostly ride Ringwood & Blue) and they are cheap too.

J-Dro

I have a pair of new Panaracer Fire FR 2.4's that I'll let go cheap if anybody is interested. Same great taste in a wider tire. Read Jdog's article to see why you NEED a wider tire.

The Kalmyk

The Racing Ralph 2.4 is fun...The volume on the tire feels right to me in rocky terrain like Chimney Rock...I'm not quite sure about the exact weight but I know for so much tire they are extremely lite...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I'm looking for a tire that would be suited for Chimney Rock and Ringwood type riding, what do you think is a good rock and root type tire?

As one that A) spends more time than anyone at Chimney Rock and B) may unofficially have the fastest lap times there, I will say, there is no one tire that's better or worse. Last year I rode for Kenda and tried every tire they made, this year I ride for Bontrager and have every tire they make. I've ridden dozens of tires through the years, I'm a self-proclaimed tire-whore. You should see my collection. The tread pattern doesn't make a difference, just find something you like that either looks cool on your bike or something that your friends won't make fun of you for, and then lower the pressure until it hooks up, you'll be fine, if not, blame me and then go buy another tire you think will make you turn faster in rocks:D

-Jim.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
As one that A) spends more time than anyone at Chimney Rock and B) may unofficially have the fastest lap times there, I will say, there is no one tire that's better or worse. Last year I rode for Kenda and tried every tire they made, this year I ride for Bontrager and have every tire they make. I've ridden dozens of tires through the years, I'm a self-proclaimed tire-whore. You should see my collection. The tread pattern doesn't make a difference, just find something you like that either looks cool on your bike or something that your friends won't make fun of you for, and then lower the pressure until it hooks up, you'll be fine, if not, blame me and then go buy another tire you think will make you turn faster in rocks:D

-Jim.

I like this response. Saves me from having to switch around tires looking for something better. I rode pretty well on the panaracer fire XC's and thought that spending a little more and upgrading to kenda nevegals would make for better riding, but i'm finding it to be the opposite. The nevegals have a bunch of cuts in the sides now after only a few runs on rocky terrain. Something i never saw with the Panaracer's. The only thing that is better is that i went with a wider Nevegal, so i think i'll switch back to a wider panaracer.

+ 1 on panaracer xc pros. Have had them for awhile and ride round valley and they seem amazing. They do tend to slow down when riding on the rode

antgold

I've never found one tire's tread pattern to be better than any other. IMO, Rubber is rubber. I believe that a tire with a higher volume of air, which allows for lower pressure, will provide the best results. Run the air pressure as low as you can for your riding terrain.

I invite you trying the continental explorer, it is a remote tier - you just see the root in front of you and the tire looses traction ...

phathucker

the WTB veloceraptor is the most aggressive looking tire sets I have ever seen.....the rear tire is like a friggin PADDLE! and the knobs on the frount tire are huge, but i think they only come in 2.1.

but i guess those are more for mud not rocks....

I also run WTB timberwolves in 2.5 at diablo and they work pretty good even thought it is pretty rocky there to

gtluke

The Moped
i have the wtb weirwolf's in 2.1 and they feel great.
my bike came with specialized fasttrack LK's and i'm seriously still emotionally scarred from them. they had such little grip in corners, and downright frightening in off camber corners and anything with loose rock/gravel that i still haven't regained my confidence in my bike being able to turn yet.
lowering the air pressure and really slowing down the rebound in my front fork seemed to help but man i still get ass pucker in turns from those damn things.
LK's = worse than catholic priests for ass pucker.

Engignar

If you are looking for traction on rocks and roots the rubber compound is going to matter. Soft tires might roll slower and wear quickly, but they grip on off camber rocks and slippery bits. Sometimes I think I can hear the StickE compound on my Kendas sucking to a rock face.

scotth

thanks for the information, I ended up buying Continental Mountain Kings. I'm very happy with the traction, so far a great tire.

Scott

Top Bottom