best Strava comment thread of all time?

The Kalmyk

When my kids think life sucks or something isn't going their way, I ask them if they need to see "the picture". They generally relax after that...

IMG_0855.JPG

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I didn't get through more than the first couple (yet), but I'm already laughing at this. I don't even understand why anyone would have posted that first comment. How is that something you could feel justified in complaining about? The point of a KOM is that it's the measure of who is the fastest on a given segment. If someone can take it from you (without "tech doping", which I can't believe is actually even a thing) then you are by definition not the fastest. Have you ever actually seen someone in a real race complain to the promoter that someone else legitimately rode faster than they did? People fascinate me.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Strava is an interesting social experiment. I personally know guys who take it way too seriously, like their self-worth is somehow tied up in it. A friend of mine convinced me join , I thought it was a great cheap way to know how far, and where you’ve ridden (I like Trailforks better for the where part), because I don’t feel like buying a Garmin for my MTB. People are crazy though. I forgot to turn my Strava off on an MTB ride in VT, and drove my car up a mile dead-end road to my cousins house, pretty good climb. No one ever drives, never mind rides, up that way. A month later when I’m up there, I check my previous ride so that I can repeat it, and find that the segment has been named (don’t know how), and I hold the KOM. There have been about 15 people trying to beat it, not coming close. My cousin tells me that people (roadies) are constantly riding up and turning around in her driveway. Thought about deleting it, or telling everyone it was a mistake, but watching this is way more fun.

jackx

LOL. Good stuff.

It would be interesting to see how far the back and forth went before the "KOM victim" accused the "KOM thief" of riding an e-bike. If an accusation of tech doping didn't happen yet, it is probably only a matter of time until it does.

So many times, I see that the former KOM of a given segment is barely still in the top 10 a few years later.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Thought about deleting it, or telling everyone it was a mistake, but watching this is way more fun.

PLEASE do not delete it or tell anyone why it's so hard to beat.

I have a buddy who takes his dog with him on rides. I told him that we have to start training the dog to sprint certain segments to take the KOMs. I know one of them he could easily get and the guy who currently holds it would probably give himself an MI trying to get it back. We NEED to do this.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Strava is an interesting social experiment. I personally know guys who take it way too seriously, like their self-worth is somehow tied up in it. A friend of mine convinced me join , I thought it was a great cheap way to know how far, and where you’ve ridden (I like Trailforks better for the where part), because I don’t feel like buying a Garmin for my MTB. People are crazy though. I forgot to turn my Strava off on an MTB ride in VT, and drove my car up a mile dead-end road to my cousins house, pretty good climb. No one ever drives, never mind rides, up that way. A month later when I’m up there, I check my previous ride so that I can repeat it, and find that the segment has been named (don’t know how), and I hold the KOM. There have been about 15 people trying to beat it, not coming close. My cousin tells me that people (roadies) are constantly riding up and turning around in her driveway. Thought about deleting it, or telling everyone it was a mistake, but watching this is way more fun.

Haha, GD that's awesome.

Top Bottom