Best place for used bikes or Trade ins?

S

staytrue

I have a 19" Specialized Rockhopper that I picked up on Craigslist. It was a few years old when I got it and I've ridden it for about a year... Just long enough to realize I'm way too tall for a bike that size. Can you guys recommend somewhere I can pick up another used bike or somewhere I can trade in my old one and get credit towards something new?

hooples3

I have a 19" Specialized Rockhopper that I picked up on Craigslist. It was a few years old when I got it and I've ridden it for about a year... Just long enough to realize I'm way too tall for a bike that size. Can you guys recommend somewhere I can pick up another used bike or somewhere I can trade in my old one and get credit towards something new?

The best place would be....
Craigslist :D seriously.. nothing like free local advertisement.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Just be careful.

I have seen the worst out of craigs list.

Mostly people buy the wrong size since "it was such a good deal" but the wrong size is no deal.

The worst case I saw recently was a Cannondale Raven carbon that had a recalled frame. Since it was 2nd hand c-dale didn't have to honor the recall. Basically he spent a grand on wall art.

Also keep in mind that bikes have no way of tracking mileage or wear and tear.

It sounds bad coming from me but unless you really know what you are buying you are best buying a new bike from a shop. The shop should fit you right, offer follow up service and welcome you back in the future as a good customer.

don

yeah, agree totally with what j-dog said. I've looked at Craigslist every once in a while and see junky stuff for high prices. flea-bay isn't much better. If you don't know what size and exactly what you want go over to your LBS. You'll save time and money in the long run.

But, if you do know a bit and want to buy (and sell) used parts or bikes, I've done well with the classifieds on Ridemonkey, Bustedspoke, and MTBR. And of course mtbnj.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
A quote that applies here goes something like this:

"it is not what you paid but what it cost"

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I agree with getting the right bike at the right price but the market for used bikes still need to exist. This will allow existing bike owners to sell their old bike so they can buy a new one (from their LBS), and will also allow new riders a low cost of entry into the sport and get them hooked.

Ian F

yeah, agree totally with what j-dog said. I've looked at Craigslist every once in a while and see junky stuff for high prices. flea-bay isn't much better. If you don't know what size and exactly what you want go over to your LBS. You'll save time and money in the long run..

I agree. I've bought a number of stuf off Ebay... and even MTBR back in the day... after awhile, it just seems like it didn't pay...

A friend of mine does very well buying stuff off Ebay... but at the same time, it's her hobby: buying and selling bikes and parts on Ebay... although occassionally she does buy new from an LBS (her Maverick 29er Duo, for example). But she's a bit... nuts... 9 bikes... 8 are 29ers (1 cross-bike), most are ti... I've been in bike shops where the entire inventory was worth less than the contents of her garage...

Top Bottom