best mtb mag?

which is your favorite?

• Total voters

don

There was a small magazine (a bit bigger than a 'zine) that was based in the Northeast called Fat Content. I still have a few of them stashed someplace and always thought that was the coolest name.

sixseven

Bike is the perfect magazine to me. Beautiful photography, great trail stories, nice layout, all in all its the perfect mag to go thru again and again before bed. I keep it on the night table. ASK CHOPPER column sucks though.

Decline is difficult to look at but has some content if you can look at it long enough to see thru the layers of blue or pink print on top of color photos. Caption #s are nearly impossible to read and they present riders as stars, not regular people like most of the other magazines do. I keep this magazine on the table by the tv, good to pick up once in a while, goes good with a beer.

Dirt Rag...I really want to like it but it never satisfies. Always feels like old news and while I am a fan of the grassroots thing, this feels like a zine dressed in glossy paper. The world may not be ready for "bike fiction".
I rarely pick it up but will admit to reading it at the news stand while waiting for a train.

MTBA...wide coverage of all kinds of stuff but ends up feeling like a catalog sometimes with that same guy putting the same expensive bikes thru the paces in every picture of every issue (is he actually a manikin?) I keep this one in the bathroom, if I pick it up.

al415

Banned
I like Dirt Rag and still have a few of the early black and white issues from the first twenty. These days though, the only bike magazine I'd spend money on is MOUNTAIN FLYER.

qsilvr99

Bike is good one. Haven't seen dirt rag, so might have to check it out based on other comments.

Another good one is out of UK 'Mountain Bike Rider', good coverage, great pics, and they even give you fold out trail maps for places covered in the issue. Plus it's good to see how the other side of the pond views things.

I really don't like any of them, after reading Mountain Biking UK and MBR... I'm usually very partial to things written in the US, but the US mag editors (with perhaps the exception of Dirt Rag) could learn a thing or two from the Brits (sorry to say).

Mountain Bike, like it's lame sister mag Bicycling is just plain AWFUL!!! (I can't wait until my subscription dies a slow death... Somebody shoot me, please)

Top Bottom