Best Local Sources

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok, so let’s get a list going that tells us where to go, by area, for the best selection of brews.

here in the 'ol succasunny area, the primo spot for beer selection is A&P liquors located on Howard Blvd, exit 30 off of rte 80. two of the four walls in this place are dedicated solely to beer. bob the beer man brings in some really good stuff and can get most anything that one would ask for. there are some really cool selections up in this place and if you're riding kvsp, deer park, 'mooch or stephens and heading west to get there, it's literally three minutes off the exit and worth the trip.

famous people that frequent(ed) this establishment include yours truly and the nj ex-pat and beer rockstar of landing, anrothar.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
if you're in somerset (your local rides in the area are six mile and the RU preserve. some rides that are a little farther away are chimney rock (11 miles) and 16 miles for the sourlands) go to cedar grove liquors. its is a good spot to get your pre-party sixer or your make-it-through-the-week-oh-my-god-my-7-month-old-is-teething 12 pack (or case... or keg). they have a good selection of micro brews and wine, plus there are some real good people working there... and they had post road pumpkin ale this fall (one of my favs) and carry victory's golden monkey occasionally. mmmmmmmm... golden monkey.

if you're looking to drink at a bar post-ride, (hell, pre-ride) - hit up new brunswick. the olive branch will satiate your college bar needs (it gets crowded, its great when school's out in the summer) or the ale n wich for your pub feel. if you're willing to pay a little more - hit up the old bay off church st - real good selection of beers, barley wines, and ports. even more fun - you can do an urban assault of NB WHILE hitting up bars for beers. instead of a bar crawl, you can have a bar roll.

VanDbtRiver

i agree w/ clackenstein, cedar grove liquors is good, biker dan works there and understands the fellow bikers need for selection. I am going to add MCormacks to the list of new brunswick dives. I dont know why c rock inn doesnt get any love as a post ride watering hole, one of my favorites.

Shaggz

A strong 7
I've had great luck at Bottle King, on Rte 23 in Wayne. While they are a bit light on the Belgians and some of the harder to find stuff, their selection is dependable and diverse, and their prices are great. The wine and cheese departments are pretty impressive, too.

mwlikesbikes

:D How awesome is it that beer has it's own forum. :D

In East Brunswick there's the liquor store on Rt.18 in the A&P stripmall behind the K-Mart. Their coolers always have a great seasonal selection of microbrews for all tastes. they've got the wall of warm "big beers" too. There's got to be 30 different types. A great wine selection too from all over the world.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

The Kalmyk

I wish there was better riding in Mercer Park because it's surrounded with some great Liquor Stores...Here is the order starting with my fav...

Joe Canal's in Lawerceville (those Princetonian's love their fancy brew's)

Canal's in Hamilton (funny because apparently it is Joe Canal's brother that separated from him due to family fued)

A&P Liquors

sixseven

Pino's Wine shop on North 4th and Raritan ave Highland Park. Excellent selection of most of the stuff you all have mentioned in here. Not all of it chilled but they do have tons of Belgians and get new micros in all the time. Its always empty there too, the place is like a sleeper cell of beer.

Right across the street from the old Highland Park Cyclery store.
Sadly I am taking a brief hiatus from my beer hobby. This will leave more beer for everyone else here.

The Kalmyk

Ya Pino's is in the old bingo hall, it was original where HP Cyclery was...I pass by there often and never think to stop...That will change, thanks man

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
In East Brunswick there's the liquor store on Rt.18 in the A&P stripmall behind the K-Mart. Their coolers always have a great seasonal selection of microbrews for all tastes. they've got the wall of warm "big beers" too. There's got to be 30 different types. A great wine selection too from all over the world.
Just to add to Mike's recommendation here: This place has no name on the sign, just a generic "SPIRITS" or something like that. They go really deep with some breweries. For example, they have more varieties by DFH than I have ever seen, many of them vintage-dated. Lots of bottle-conditioned Belgian stuff, which is a particular preference for me. And a pretty deep whisk(e)y selection as well, which I tend to spend a good amount of time drooling over when I'm there. I've yet to encounter a better place in Monmouth or south/central Middlesex.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Ok, so let’s get a list going that tells us where to go, by area, for the best selection of brews.

here in the 'ol succasunny area, the primo spot for beer selection is A&P liquors located on Howard Blvd, exit 30 off of rte 80. two of the four walls in this place are dedicated solely to beer. bob the beer man brings in some really good stuff and can get most anything that one would ask for. there are some really cool selections up in this place and if you're riding kvsp, deer park, 'mooch or stephens and heading west to get there, it's literally three minutes off the exit and worth the trip.

famous people that frequent(ed) this establishment include yours truly and the nj ex-pat and beer rockstar of landing, anrothar.

I was unaware of this place i need to check it out.

When i ride KVSP and Allamuchy i've been making a post-ride stop at the Shop Rite liquor store on Rt 206 in Byram. They have a very nice selection. Although they have a lot of larger bottled specialty beers they seem to have a more notably impressive selection of 6 packs.

There are no decent stores near Weehawken / Hobokenso whenever i go out to Campmor we travel up to Ramsey Liquors. That was my old go-to for good beer.

Can we turn the first post of the thread into a summary of places, maybe with a brief discription? This thread is going to be 10 pages deep.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can we turn the first post of the thread into a summary of places, maybe with a brief discription? This thread is going to be 10 pages deep.

beeradvocate.com has it covered with their BeerFly section. We're probably reinventing the wheel if we list them out.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
beeradvocate.com has it covered with their BeerFly section. We're probably reinventing the wheel if we list them out.

I've tried that site before and remember it stinking for finding places in NJ. Unless it changed you can't search a surrounding area, you can only search by town. Which means you have to know every town in NJ and whether it is close to you, and you have to click on each town. http://beermapping.com/ has a better concept only there are very few places listed for NJ. This forum list is cooler because it references places we ride. I've learned more from reading the few pages here than i have from clicking on every town in NJ on beeradvocate.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was unaware of this place i need to check it out. <snip>

that was my intention but as usual, things digress.
that said, i don't think it's a bad idea. case in point: within three miles of my house there are no less than six liquor stores...and that's just off the top of my head. the only one really worth going to is A&P. i've never used beefly, does it rate them or something?

Last edited:

idbrian

Crotch Rot
The beeradvoctae is all about reviewing. I am a huge fan of microbrews, but the people on there are just too much for me to handle. Everyone is in competition to be the snobbiest reviewer. I couldn't be that much of a critic about beer and i understand that people are really into it, but damn. I like the site for their review ratings that come out of it, but i avoid reading the individual reviews.

Top Bottom