Best Dropper lever?

Frank

Sasquatch
Need a new cable dropper lever for the fatty and wondered who makes the best one. I will admit to buying a cheap Amazon one initially and that is proving to be uncomfortable to use at the moment. Any thoughts on what works best? Wolftooth?

pygmypony

+1 for the PNW brand...i have the PNW Coast suspension dropper with the Loam Lever on my fatty and LOVE it!

i also have another PNW Coast 27.2 that was just a bit too short for my gravel bike...it's sitting in my garage if you want to give it a shot

pygmypony

crap - just realized you are looking for just the lever! would still recommend the PNW Loam, it's super nice, and comes in fancy colors, other than oil slick

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I really like the wolftooth one and i think the PNW one would be in the same category.

One this that is nice about the wolftooth one is that you can buy the parts to covert it to bar clamp, sram matchmaker and shimano integrated, without buying a whole new lever. '

I actually prefer the bar clamp because it offers more adjustability.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This.
Half the price and as good as any mentioned.
Screenshot_20210130-130358_Chrome.jpg

Frank

Sasquatch
My current issue is that I can’t find it when my hand goes numb....it’s so small. Another annoying issue is that it is hard to push when my hand goes numb. I hope this is only a temporary thing, but I need to keep riding and the bar mitts on my fatty help me get out so I am gonna get a better lever.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I’ve liked the wolf tooth and the loam lever. My first reverb came with the push button remote, my god that was the worst.

Karate Monkey

I've used Wolftooth, old Bontrager, new Bontrager, Tranzx (old style, cable head in the lever), and Shimano.

Shimano is the slickest looking. Super low-profile, but ties with the old Bontrager 'shifter paddle' style for ease of use. Only has I-spec EV (new Shimano break style) mounting. Next, please.

Old Bontrager came on the bike. Worked okay--light, positionable, no real complaints.

TranzX was the style with a separate piece of barrel hardware in the lever for the cable. Despite this being the most 'low tech' version, it punched way above it's grade.

New Bontrager is great. Allows you to get the lever into the 'downshift' position, and is easy on the thumb, to boot.

Wolftooth still wins on the heap, largely due to the bearing design. All the others require more breakaway force, except the newer Bontrager--but that will get worse as the non-adjustable teflon bushing wears. Can be positioned pretty much anywhere due to the design.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Wolftooth. I think we sold like 200 last year. I compare the others to these. The bearing makes it. Plus they have a bunch of colors and fit options.

We always keep these in stock.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Jim might be able to take a grip shift and customize it ?
or perhaps a shifter or small, topbar brake lever positioned where two fingers can get to it?

take the job away from the thumb, and get more hand involved?

(that's a meatball down the middle @MadisonDan)

Last edited:

Hakimaki

Another vote for PNW. Love the Loam lever, I find it easy to push regardless of hand position. Doesn't require proper leverage which could be hard to come by going over chunky terrain.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pnw for me . Surprised about all the wolftooth love its the only dropper lever I've had that failed. The bearing lasted maybe 4 months and the cable retention bolt was too short and stripped out the threads in the lever body , longer bolt fixed that but still never really felt that good for me

Top Bottom