Best brake bleeding frame orientation (Knolly Fugitive)

serviceguy

I did bleed my rear brake a while ago and ended up tilting the frame almost to the vertical position in order for any air bubble to travel to the brake lever. It did work without any issue but it just seemed weird. Am I missing something obvious or that would be the best way to do that?

knolly rear brake.JPG

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I did bleed my rear brake a while ago and ended up tilting the frame almost to the vertical position in order for any air bubble to travel to the brake lever. It did work without any issue but it just seemed weird. Am I missing something obvious or that would be the best way to do that?

View attachment 117183

No one seriously answered? If your hose wasn't internally routed you would just take it off. You've got no choice but to rotate the bike and handle but tbh I don't think it's that big of a deal if you look at how hard lines are routed in some cars.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Thinking its the air stuck in the caliper?
I remember I had one hell of a time trying to bleed the rear brakes on my RDO due to the orientation of the caliper when mounted on the bike.
I think the air was stuck on the opposite end of where the hose is attached and I had to reposition the caliper to get the air to move to the hose end side to get it out.

Last edited:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Assuming you’re bleeding from the lever? If so then have it vertical with that side up. As much as possible anyway. Give it some shakes and taps (carefully) And try to get all the air bubbles out.

Ron

I would put in the vertical position. Feed fluid from caliper to lever. Shake bike and cable. Let sit for 30 minutes and push more fluid.

Personally I do not do the push/pull method, creates a vacuum. I have had my best luck pushing com low point to an open bath.

serviceguy

The brakes don’t need to be bled right now, just curious if I was missing anything obvious but apparently that is not the case. The vertical position works well, just not really practical.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
The brakes don’t need to be bled right now, just curious if I was missing anything obvious but apparently that is not the case. The vertical position works well, just not really practical.

I was going to say you've got at least another 3 years left to need a bleed

Dingo

I would say vertical is the best, along with slightly changing the angle while letting it sit awhile.

Just did mine, externally routed so was able to remove the whole assembly and hang them vertically. Let it sit for 30 min and a few more bubbles would pop up.

Best the brakes have felt in the 3 yrs I've owned it. Pretty sure the shop that built it, bled with it while on the bike.

Top Bottom