Best band ever?

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
hmmm...well, I have been to like 100 Phish shows. so I guess I like them a lot....although at the moment I'm really diggin' on Beck.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hmmm...well, I have been to like 100 Phish shows. so I guess I like them a lot....although at the moment I'm really diggin' on Beck.

Phish is up there for me. Radiohead as well.

I think "for you" is implicit in the subject line of this thread. At least that's how I'm playing.

wonderturtle

"The Beatles are the best/most important/influential band ever."

bingo.

whether you personally like them or not, the Beatles are the most important and most influential band of all time...and its not even close.

next topic.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's

bingo.

whether you personally like them or not, the Beatles are the most important and most influential band of all time...and its not even close.

next topic.

Agreed...can't say I ever pop in any of their albums anymore but you are 100% correct.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"

bingo.

next topic.

Agreed.

But purely in terms of influence, where would you rank Sabbath...?

wonderturtle

[where would you rank Sabbath...?[/QUOTE]

my "rock royalty" (which is based on such factors as importance/ influence/ longevity/ continued relevancy) is as follows..

Elvis
Beatles
Stones
Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin

Sabbath is certainly a very important band (pretty much considered godfathers of heavy metal)...but not as important as the bands listed above.

[at first I had U2 on that list...but after seeing it in print it just didnt look right to have U2 listed with those other groups]

Last edited:

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
This may deserve a whole separate thread but I was watching the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame induction presentation last week which prompted me to check out who's actually in the RNR HOF...there are some pretty crappy bands.

Who do you think are the most OVER RATED bands of all-time???

wonderturtle

most-overated bands? wow now that is a thread all to itself - poor iggy's list is a good one. Kiss is just an absolute abomination. and The Doors...although I loved them when I was 18 I listen to them now (37) and they just werent that good. and I know this is blaphemous to say in NJ but on another board I frequent Bruce was named a lot on a similar list. I know, say it aint so.

regarding the Beatles being the most important/ influential bands of all time (and in anticipation of the naysayers to come)...here's an amazing illustration....I have a book done by VH1 where they asked various rock writers, critics, musicians, producers, etc. etc. to rank the top 100 Greatest Albums and the Beatles had 5 of the top 11. that's right, 5 of the top 11. #1, #6, #8, #10 and #11. and again, this wasnt a list of the "best selling" or "most popular" - it was a list created by people/ARTISTS in the music biz indicating the "GREATEST" albums. as I said, it aint even close.

Last edited:
Top Bottom