best 29er tire?

THATmanMANNY

For sure it's not the wtb Exiwolf 29er tire that came with Mary SS

Cause it's a pain in the ass to mount and it does not shed mud.

I've been putting off getting new 29er tires cause my last remount was very successful while my first one was a PAIN but....

Was just trying to prep my flat for a ride tomorrow... Takes me ~20 min to mount. I have tiny little fingers and right now they are throbbing. I go pump up and hear my damn tube leaking air.

Now I don't have any more tubes or a 29er to ride at 6mile tomorrow.

AND I AM NOT PUTTING THAT EXIWOLF BACK ON!

FFFFFFFFF :mad2:

What's a good 29er tire for all year round?
What's a good 29er tire for the upcoming conditions of fall/winter?

I'm eyeing the kenda small block 8's...

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
For sure it's not the wtb Exiwolf 29er tire that came with Mary SS

Cause it's a pain in the ass to mount and it does not shed mud.

I've been putting off getting new 29er tires cause my last remount was very successful while my first one was a PAIN but....

Was just trying to prep my flat for a ride tomorrow... Takes me ~20 min to mount. I have tiny little fingers and right now they are throbbing. I go pump up and hear my damn tube leaking air.

Now I don't have any more tubes or a 29er to ride at 6mile tomorrow.

AND I AM NOT PUTTING THAT EXIWOLF BACK ON!

FFFFFFFFF :mad2:

What's a good 29er tire for all year round?
What's a good 29er tire for the upcoming conditions of fall/winter?

I'm eyeing the kenda small block 8's...

The small blocks are good for summer.. NOT winter at 6 mile.

I am very happy w/Mt kings from conti. I also like the Ignitors and Ardents for winter mudddd.

j-

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Damn you Manny!! You can't post something like this!! You're gonna start a virtual WAR!! Tires are like women, everyone likes a different flavor:p Just because I like red-headed shoolgirls with big butts doesn't mean you will. Maybe you like anorexic blondes or chinese boys. You gotta go with what works for you son. And on that note, you should get the Bontrager XDX's, they ROCK:D

-Jim.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
I agree with Jim V, mostly about the red head wit' the big butt,(my redhead has a NICE butt) I like the ignitors that came on the Felt 29er. This of course also says I have not tried any other 29er tires. The Ignitors were not hard to remount when I had my first flat in a good while. Of course this means I had 2 flats one ride, and the next day another. Oh, Manny, I have a 29er tube you can use if needed, at 6 mile tomorrow.

BiknBen

Yo Jdog and Jim,
It looks like Manny could use some of those How-to Demonstrations at the store. Mounting a tire and patching a tube!!!

If you are concerned about mud, you should NOT be considering small-block 8s.

I have run Exiwolfs and thought they were an acceptable all-around tire. Huge air volume provided a nice cushy ride.

I have used Hutch Pythons in both 26 and 29 and they too are acceptable. I stress acceptable because these tires have a semi-slick tread which is not the most aggressive type of pattern.

THATmanMANNY

Damn you Manny!! You can't post something like this!! You're gonna start a virtual WAR!! Tires are like women, everyone likes a different flavor:p Just because I like red-headed shoolgirls with big butts doesn't mean you will. Maybe you like anorexic blondes or chinese boys. You gotta go with what works for you son. And on that note, you should get the Bontrager XDX's, they ROCK:D

-Jim.

:hysterica

I will probably love the Bontrager XDXs because I like red-headed schoolgirls with big butts.

P.S. patching a tube and changing a tube is cake on my stumpy and yes i was talking about the small block 8s for drier conditions.

EDIT: The exiwolfs are good a good fast tire allow high volume but they get CAKED up with mud.

Last edited:

The Kalmyk

Winter...Mountain Kings fr and back

Summer...Racing Ralph fr and Small block 8 back

^Super fast at 6 Mile- Chimney Rock...I wish they were better winter then there would be no need to switch...

D

DANSPANK

I have Maxxis Ignitors on both my 29er and 26er - they're great on the up north NJ trails. Probably too much tread for 6mile but I just leave them on.

The tyres are easy to mount but I needed a lot of Stans and patience to seat and seal the 29ers (they're not UST).

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i rode the exis that came on the mary ONE time. Ok, twice...the first time i was on them for about 12 minutes before i taco'd my front rim on "the only tree in LM" and was run over by norm. that was enough for me to know that they would never do here. i sold them to some dude out west that lived in the desert where there is no mud and exis are the bees knees.

i rode panaracer rampages for about a year. i really like this tire but it's crazy heavy. sheds mud fairly well but when it does get gooped, it gets REALLY gooped. they look like a big, muddy donut.

i now have the maxxis ignitors which, i must admit, i was VERY skeptical of since sean (aka our misplaced AK boy, anrothar) said they would shred. well, many parks and many rides later i'm happy to say that they have not. either i'm not nearly as hard core as sean (which i'm not) or i got a good set of them. either way i'm happy since they are expensive.

so i guess i agree with...dan?

BiknBen

Im thinkin of switchin to small blk 8s after my hutchys wear out

I'd say that is a good idea for you. But I feel the need to point out to others that I have never seen you anywhere but Hartshorne and Allaire.

When was the last time you and your MTB were north of GSP exit 117? :p

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i have been riding the kenda nevegals for a while now. grippy and meaty - but slower rolling. they are overkill in places like six mile, but if you don't like to change your tires or you don't have multiple wheelsets to have many already set-up tire options, they can get the job done at multiple areas. i loved them last winter - they really held well on snow and ice. not a racing tire tho.

Best 29er Tires?

I love the Panaracer Rampages for one simple reason... I can ride them tubeless and ride them virtually everywhere in any season. You can easily argue that tires like the Small Block are far superior rolling in hard pack... sure, no argument. But for someone who doesn't necessarily wish to fine-tune his tires based on seasons and riding conditions, I swear by the Rampages.

Peace,
BB

Top Bottom