Bergen County Parks Master Plan & Mountain Biking

MuniMan

Beyond just mountain biking there could be Rail Trail acquisition/development in NE Bergen county that hooks up with the existing Rockland County network that goes from Sparkill to Blauvelt and Nyack.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
Bergen County is hosting a series of public meeting for the future of their parks. If you are a resident of Bergen county please try to attend one of their upcoming meetings. You can find the schedule at http://cues.rutgers.edu/bergen-park-system/public_meetings_schedule.asp I'll post this schedule on the JORBA calendar as well.

Bergen county parks are overused, and officials have not been welcoming to adding mountain biking as an additional user group. Perhaps if you get the chance to speak, you should mention that trails should not be limited to the exclusive use of a single user group e.g. hikers and that all trails should be multi use.

stilluf

Is there a specific park in Bergen that would be ideal for MTB? You might want to consider advocating for opening a specific park, in addition to MTB generally.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
Is there a specific park in Bergen that would be ideal for MTB? You might want to consider advocating for opening a specific park, in addition to MTB generally.

Not living in Bergen county I struggled to single out a park to concentrate on. Then I thought, how about you, what's your local park? the one close to your house so you can sneak out for a quick ride after work rather than jump in the car and drive 40 minutes before your wheels hit dirt. But if we concentrate on your local park, well then what about all the other bergen county riders will still be banned from their local parks.

These types of meeting are not about getting some trails at a specific park. It's about letting the planners know there is a user group whose needs are not being met. They can rectify that by making all trails multi use and excluding users groups based on sound arguments.

Personally I think mountain bikes belong everywhere, everyone should be able to hop on their bike and ride dirt near their own home. Local park planners need to know this.

stilluf

Not living in Bergen county I struggled to single out a park to concentrate on. Then I thought, how about you, what's your local park? the one close to your house so you can sneak out for a quick ride after work rather than jump in the car and drive 40 minutes before your wheels hit dirt. But if we concentrate on your local park, well then what about all the other bergen county riders will still be banned from their local parks.

These types of meeting are not about getting some trails at a specific park. It's about letting the planners know there is a user group whose needs are not being met. They can rectify that by making all trails multi use and excluding users groups based on sound arguments.

Personally I think mountain bikes belong everywhere, everyone should be able to hop on their bike and ride dirt near their own home. Local park planners need to know this.

I hear you, and agree. But if there's anything I've learned from the Watchung experience is that government moves at a glacial pace, especially when there are vested interests involved (e.g. this is MY park), and sometimes there are actors behind the scenes that are working against you. So it might be easier for County officials (who do use the internet and may read this page) to allow MTB in one park, as a "test" than to just say, 'you can ride everywhere." For example, push for opening Ramapo Reservation to MTB, then expand from there.

bucknejo

Would they ever open up campgaw? Not for DH of course bc that hill is lame, but it would be cool if at least something was open there. Maybe it is, Idk, could be the flying dog double dog ipa talking.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bumpity bump:
If you haven't yet weighed in on the Bergen Co master plan,
take a minute out and let them know we need bike access!

Bergen County Parks Master Plan:
Online Survey Closes June 1!

http://cues.rutgers.edu/bergen-park-system/

Know someone who hasn't taken the online survey yet?

Please remind your contacts that today is the last day to take the Bergen County Parks Master Plan online survey before it closes tomorrow, June 1st at 10am.

We have had almost 2700 responses to date, but would like to hear more of your ideas!

All Bergen County residents are still welcome to email suggestions about the parks to cues@sebs.rutgers.edu after the online survey closes.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bergen County Parks Master Plan:
Draft Master Plan Available For Public Comment!​

Visit the Project Website and Share Your Comments
The draft Master Plan has been added to the project website!

Bergen County residents are welcome to provide feedback on the document.

All comments must be submitted in writing using the form provided on the project website and be received by CUES or postmarked by June 2, 2018.
All comments will be addressed in the final Bergen County Parks Master Plan document.​

Upcoming Public Meeting
All Bergen County residents are invited to attend a public meeting to discuss the draft Parks Master Plan:

May 17, 2018 at 7:00pm
Two Bergen County Plaza in Hackensack

We hope to see you there!​

Thank you for actively helping to make the Master Plan project a success!​

BH60OqumPyVVG3tZR9MrWLwQ7ysZsJajvGxZYo5eCP98rhyfnKCfOI0fJlTeYNEd2SdJFgXOxiw2k8ojQqWHQQqUdkpesqL0uSZpzdMqcwE1D8gxSqK6eFT9zA=s0-d-e1-ft

BH60OqumPyVVG3tZR9MrWLwQ7ysZsJajvGxZYo5eCP98rhyfnKCfOI0fJlTeYNEd2SdJFgXOxiw2k8ojQqWHQQqUdkpesqL0uSZpzdMqcwE1D8gxSqK6eFT9zA=s0-d-e1-ft

stilluf

Just skimming through the draft master plan, does not look like there is any provision for MTB at any of the county parks. Hopefully I'm wrong.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just skimming through the draft master plan, does not look like there is any provision for MTB at any of the county parks. Hopefully I'm wrong.
I did not have time to review, but will later.

Top Bottom