Bergen County Parks Master Plan & Mountain Biking

stilluf

OK, thanks. It discusses MTB as a "user conflict" issue, with unsanctioned riding on trails, and that biking groups have suggested a proposal for a pilot project for sustainable multi-use trails. But I didn't see any actual proposals for adding multi-use trails to any parks. :confused:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
From Palisades MTB mailing about tonight's Bergen County Master Plan meeting.
Even if you cannot attend, fill out a comment form and email it to have your voice heard (details below).
Comments need to be received by email or postmarked by 11/21, so you have time.

MARSHES TO MOUNTAINS: A VISION FOR THE FUTURE OF BERGEN COUNTY’S PARKS

BERGEN COUNTY PARKS MASTER PLAN PUBLIC MEETING
WHO:

All Bergen County Residents interested in parks

WHAT:
The project team will present the draft Bergen County Parks Master Plan and accept feedback and questions

WHERE:
Two Bergen County Plaza, Hackensack, NJ

WHEN:
November 13, 2019, at 7:00 pm

WHY:
To have an opportunity to voice your ideas or desires for the future of Bergen County Parks
and request that Mountain Biking be allowed in Bergen County Parks parcels in Alpine and Norwood

The draft Bergen County Parks Master Plan calls for "passive recreation" in three undeveloped park properties
next to Rockleigh Woods and Alpine Scout Camp. We need your comments to support legal mountain biking there.

If you live in Bergen County, please download the comment form, fill it in, and email it to Angela Johnsen at cues@sebs.rutgers.edu.
Here's a suggested comment:
"I live in Closter and often walk my dog on trails in Bergen County parks. I also enjoy mountain biking, but I have to leave the County to ride because there are no legal trails on Bergen County parkland. I would like the County Parks Master Plan to mention biking as an allowed passive recreation activity in Alpine Reserve North, Alpine Reserve South, and Norwood East Hill."​

Last edited:

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bumping this- comments need to be submitted by tomorrow (11/21) for consideration.
If you haven't yet, please take a minute to make your voice heard.

From PMTB mailing:

Dear Fellow Mountain Biker,
Tomorrow, November 21st is the deadline to let the Bergen County know you're in favor of mountain biking on OUR land.

While we are making headway with the land managers on the adjacent properties,
if mountain biking is allowed on county property, it will allow us to have a geographically unified plan to develop trails for all levels of riders.
Who wants to drive to Westchester County when we have underdeveloped county land in our backyard?

If you live or ride in Bergen County,
please download the comment form, fill it in, and email it to Angela Johnsen at cues@sebs.rutgers.edu.
Here's a sample comment:

"I live in Bergen County and often walk my dog on trails in county parks.
I also enjoy mountain biking, but I have to leave the county to ride because there are no legal trails on Bergen County parkland.
I would like the County Parks Master Plan to mention biking as an allowed passive recreation activity in Alpine Reserve North, Alpine Reserve South, and Norwood East Hill."

Thank you and Happy Trails!
-Palisades MTB Trail Crew

bucknejo

Will the Campgaw reservation in Mahwah ever be in scope? Not even sure if this one is a county or state park, but it's close to me and has a lift.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Will the Campgaw reservation in Mahwah ever be in scope? Not even sure if this one is a county or state park, but it's close to me and has a lift.
Paging @Bleeder - anything to know about Campgaw?

Bleeder

JORBA:President
It's a Bergen Cty Park, As of now MTB is not an allowed use. Let them know you want to ride there using the link above TODAY.

Top Bottom