bent rotor

J-Dro

any pointers on straightening a bent rotor or should i just scrub it and get a new one?

Park Tools makes a tool specifically for this. It's worth a try to straighten it out, you can always scrap it if it doesn't work. I bet your LBS has the tool. Or you can try the "ghetto" method by using a vice and a pair of pliers with a rag to protect the rotor.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Adjustable wrench will do the trick. Just do a very little bit at a time. Ghetto rules!!!

I'll take it if you scrub it.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
another GHETTO fix...Hitting the rotor with a rubber mallet.

This guy did it on my rotor a couple of years ago...It worked!

Now, I don't know if I will try that myself.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have some dial indicators on my truing stand that make it easy to straighten a rotor.

I have rarely seen a rotor that is bent beyond repair.

k

Shaggz

A strong 7
i looked at that setup on the park web site - truing stand, dial gauge and straightener thingee. i am bolstering my repair tool inventory, and those are on the radar.

D

DANSPANK

Campmoor were at the Lewis Morris Challenge yesterday, I took my bike over to get the front wheel trued and the guy straightened the rotor, whipped off my rear wheel, trued thatm straightened the roto and straightened my derailleur hanger!! He wouldn't take any money so I stuffed a tenner into his tool box and ran off on my super true bike!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i looked at that setup on the park web site - truing stand, dial gauge and straightener thingee. i am bolstering my repair tool inventory, and those are on the radar.

I thought you had the whole Keep It Rolling plan to take care of this stuff?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yep i do, but the rotor is self-inflicted, don't ask, because i won't tell - ;)

the garage strikes again!

the adjustable wrench is a good idea. just so you know, don't try to buy the actual park tool at marty's. when i asked about it awhile back the guy told me "they aren't for sale". :rolleyes:

Shaggz

A strong 7
the garage strikes again!

the adjustable wrench is a good idea. just so you know, don't try to buy the actual park tool at marty's. when i asked about it awhile back the guy told me "they aren't for sale". :rolleyes:
the garage and half a bottle of red wine :D

i was actually making some good time on the brake overhaul last night (pads are not covered under the Keep It Rolling program). Pretty basic, remove the pads, reset the calipers, install pads, spin the wheel and repeat the process until all is ducky.

Rear wheel started to take a bit longer, and after about 5 attempts, I realized I had a slight bow in the rotor (rubbing on the outside pad). Well I got a little overzealous with the rubber mallet, and you know....

I don't feel to badly since the rotors are looking pretty worn, but it is still $25 that I shouldn't be spending.

Top Bottom