Belly flop!

crash_in_nj

If you think about it, logs should be our friends. They are all natural, high in fiber, and they require very little effort to cultivate. On the other hand, they could just be trying to lull us into a false sense of security. Take today, for instance. I went back for another shot at a big log I had just cleared, and something bad happened. As I was rolling down the back side of the log, it reached up and grabbed my front wheel, power slamming me down to the ground. Another part of the log hit my leg so hard it started swelling, and I now have a foot long bruise running down from my hip to just above my knee. To add insult to injury, the log then threw my bike down onto my back. I'm sure to a casual observer, it looked like I got off line, got my front wheel hung up, and paid the price for not being quick enough to hop the bars and land on my feet, but I know better.

Eileen

I hate when good logs go bad. The log in my avatar decided that it really liked my back wheel and wanted to hold onto it for a while. It didn't ask, it just took - so rude :mad2:

xc62701

Yea but you showed the log up. You took a header and walked away to punish it later! :D

I once did a log crossing with a bunch of speed and was all excited to fly over it and keep hammering down the trail. Little did I know either I was too generous with lifting the rear or if the log actually caught the rear tire but I rode an endo for 5 or 6 feet before preceeding to pile it up face first into the ground. The best part of that comes when you're lying on the ground, entangled in the bike and you're not hurt. That's when the maniac laughter starts to arise...

crash_in_nj

My leg was pretty sore last night, but much better today, thanks. I guess if it has a name, it happens to people besides me from time to time... And with a name like the Scorpion Death Move, it has to be good.

I'm going to go back and teach that log a lesson, even if I have to break every bone in my body to do it:)

xc62701

My leg was pretty sore last night, but much better today, thanks. I guess if it has a name, it happens to people besides me from time to time... And with a name like the Scorpion Death Move, it has to be good.

I'm going to go back and teach that log a lesson, even if I have to break every bone in my body to do it:)

Glad you're doing ok. When you go back to teach it a lesson, make sure you get it on video :D

crash_in_nj

You know what they sometimes call videos? Evidence. Or People's Exhibit A. Stuff like that. I have been thinking of getting a helmet cam. They are a bit spendy, though. Still, Christmas and my b-day are right around the corner...

Frank

Sasquatch
I have been thinking of getting a helmet cam. They are a bit spendy, though. ...

you bet they are....and I never use mine much 'cause I'm afraid of breaking it. Of course when I do use it I manage to yank out a cable or two and end up with nothing. The new one from Vio-sport looks cool.

crash_in_nj

That's the one I was looking at. It's called the POV.1. But it's $850. It would be nice to have around during ski season, too. Hmm.

It happened on the airfield log, going from the airfield side back toward the road. The first time I tried it, I was going too slow. The second try I made it. The third try, as they say, was the charm. I had also cleared the one on Tiger that day, too. So I had a 50% clear rate on the big logs. Or a 50% fail rate. But I'm an optimist, so I like calling it the clear rate better:)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Go teach that log a lesson...

When I hit logs, I, for lack of a better term, I bump jump them. For those who don't know, bump jumping is from bmx racing and involves tapping your front wheel on a jump and then sucking up the rear (kinda hard to explain).

Usuaully I tap my front wheel on the top of the log, compress the fork and then tuck and bring the rear end up, leaning back over the rear tire. If it is a log stack, you can just keep tucking and hit the other side like a landing of a jump. If it is just a log, you can level a bit and land just alittle front wheel forward. You can get over some big logs like this at decent speed. YOu should try and level the bike when you rear wheel hits, if you are going fast enough you can miss the whole log with your rear wheel but you want to try and just tap it on the opposite side and roll off so you don't lose any forward momentum. It takes less energy than full out bunny hopping it.

xc62701

Would you look at that! I ride BMX and I didn't even know it! I do that technique all the time.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I once did a log crossing with a bunch of speed and was all excited to fly over it and keep hammering down the trail. Little did I know either I was too generous with lifting the rear or if the log actually caught the rear tire but I rode an endo for 5 or 6 feet before preceeding to pile it up face first into the ground.
There's nothing quite like the kind of snap endo you can produce by clipping the back wheel on a log right when you are lifting that same wheel. I've done a few self-piledrivers this way over the years. Add some speed into mix and the results can be spectacular.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
hmmm, I've done that too. I was in a race and probably overdosed on gurana gels. I must have been crazed. I was passed by the first sport man and tucked in behind him to hold my place going into the log ramp at speed. He came off the ground by 3-4 feet, turned his wheel to the side in the air and all. All I could think of was "coooool! " ...... then I found myself riding a front wheelie on th other side of the log for about 6 feet, until I slammed down on the handlebars and fell to a heap on the ground and got run over by the rest of the sport riders. I had some decent acreage of bruise from that one.:mad2:

.... but I'm still here to talk about it, so it's still good stuff.:getsome:

xc62701

A log taught me a lesson today. I was riding and it was on a nice sheet of ice through allamuchy. I went to lift my front wheel over a small log and when I placed it back down, it went through the ice into the 2-3 inches of powder below, compressed the fork and I ate it hard. I endoed fantastically and as the bike proceeded to flip over me the saddle proceeded to slam me in the head, then the rear tire hit my back and bounced off. I landed with a fist down and then my chest landed on my fist - which is a bit sore now. I'm alright it just surprised me.

crash_in_nj

Glad to hear you're okay. Are you going to go back for another shot at it?

Santa is bringing me a helmet cam, so I'll get some video of my log next time.

xc62701

Glad to hear you're okay. Are you going to go back for another shot at it?

Santa is bringing me a helmet cam, so I'll get some video of my log next time.

As always :D I went back yesterday and taught it a lesson! And then I endoed over a root by the base of a tree this time it was sweet and I landed on my chest and slid like superman. That was a fun endo though.

Top Bottom