Bell?

OneTrackMind

I'm new to mountain biking so I've been reading a few threads on this forum to make sense of it all. I read about riders ringing their bells. I don't have a bell on my bike. Is it necessary to have one? I'm afraid with my luck I'll end up with a constant jingling noise in the background from some loose part inside the bell.

I have a bell. It is a polite way to let other trail users know you are nearby or coming up behind them. None of the bike specific bells will shake and ring unintentionally.

If you put a cowbell on your bars??? Well...that would be annoying.

I'm new to mountain biking so I've been reading a few threads on this forum to make sense of it all. I read about riders ringing their bells. I don't have a bell on my bike. Is it necessary to have one? I'm afraid with my luck I'll end up with a constant jingling noise in the background from some loose part inside the bell.

Only if you're on a single speed should you have a bell. Thats mainly to annoy the gearies soft peadling up the hills:drooling:.

Thanks.

I do have a single speed but I need a lot more practice before I can pass the geared bikes uphill. I'll get myself a cowbell then.

Last edited:
I'd recommend it. a bit more polite and actually, I think, more effective way of getting people out of your way :)

I use this type of bell. Its easy to tuck in near your lever and isnt very big.

66124dd2-698e-4acb-ae8d-7cf3082f5c51.jpg

Only if you're on a single speed should you have a bell. Thats mainly to annoy the gearies soft peadling up the hills:drooling:.

.....and those gearies with exceptionally large testicles that continuously get caught in their saddles.

A bell is really good to have. It helps us know if it's black or grizzly bear crap.

The niner I'm selling has a bell on it. Same bell as Wobbegong showed in the photo. For $2K, I'll sell you one just like it and throw the bike in for free.

Last edited:
.....and those gearies with exceptionally large testicles that continuously get caught in their saddles.

I think they got caught in the chanrings, you didn't even clear the seat before you went OTB.
Leg healing up good? Looked like a golf ball sticking out your shin.

It would have been a distraction :p

When you see a guy go head first over a huge log at jungle and almost die, ring your bell when he stands up :D

But I went back 2 days later and rode that thing like it wasn't there. I think I broke a bone or two in the back of my hand, all kinds of cracking and popping going on, still can't bend it to far. I can lift my arm above my shoulder with out to much pain, but there is a pop and something moving there also. Christ, I pay enough for health insurance, you figure I'd use it!!

At least the 6 Hours of Cathedral Pines is probably going to be sandy and flat. Guess I'll find out when the flag drops.

I think they got caught in the chanrings, you didn't even clear the seat before you went OTB.
Leg healing up good? Looked like a golf ball sticking out your shin.

Yes...I think you are right...well before clearing my seat.

My leg's not doing to well. Surface abrasion is healing up, but the entire lower leg is still swollen from the mid schin down to the foot with the brusing (blood) now creaping around my ankle and foot.

Like yourself, I should see someone........but I won't. Good thing is that it hasn't stopped me from riding.

Back
Top Bottom