Beginner Trails in Somerset County

Can any of you recommend some beginner trails - paved or light gravel/sand/dirt in or around the Somerset County area? Just looking for a nice ride with some good scenery. Nothing too technical or steep, just going out with the girlfriend.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
D&R canal - stop for ice cream or something along the way. don't make it a forced march either! maybe start in manville - go 30 minutes south, 30 minutes back, then hit a pizza place over by the airport.
going longer, bring some food, start in bound brook, stop at six mile run - maybe ride into the blue field trail. have lunch on the bench (1/2 mile in?). ride back.

Good luck! make it an adventure.
i'd also recommend the columbia trail, out of high bridge, ride to califon. stop in general store on top of hill, have ice cream, ride back. See gnomes, the ken lockwood gorge, etc...

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Duke Island is another spot to check out

qclabrat

I also like Columbia, Round Valley is also nice if you stay on the road and play along the beach and such, after Memorial day, the park is fairly dead and relatively car free

rlb

And if you're looking to take it to the next level after all of these suggestions check out Six Mile Run

mattfish11

The paved/dirt trails at Dukes estate is nice and scenic. Tons of trails - easy to get around. And free

Last edited:
Ended up at Duke Island. Perfect spot to start at. Had a great day all around. Ill probably check out Columbia on the next go. Thanks guys

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great to hear. My family enjoys biking there too. I love that you can ride on road with basically no traffic.

Top Bottom