Beginner Enduro Racer

FrankV

Hey! I have an extensive background in road CX and XC, but plan on starting enduro races. I’m new at this, so any tips or advice would be great. What to wear, what to do etc.
Thanks!

BrianGT3

-Pre ride the course as much as you can
-While pre riding session the difficult sections a few times
-Invest in good protective gear, knee pads, full face helmet
-Plan on crashing
-don't ride over you head, speed comes from being comfortable and confident
-you can ride anything, but bikes with slacker head tubes and more travel ride better at bike parks
-pack spares in you car, tires, chains, things will break
-plan on being at a race all day

FrankV

-Pre ride the course as much as you can
-While pre riding session the difficult sections a few times
-Invest in good protective gear, knee pads, full face helmet
-Plan on crashing
-don't ride over you head, speed comes from being comfortable and confident
-you can ride anything, but bikes with slacker head tubes and more travel ride better at bike parks
-pack spares in you car, tires, chains, things will break
-plan on being at a race all day
I really appreciate the response! Quick question, do you stop back at your car between stages?

V-Dub

I really appreciate the response! Quick question, do you stop back at your car between stages?
Depends on where the race is, Blue mt is not a problem at Glen park it's not worth it.
You're supposed to be self sufficient once on course but some promoters let it slide.
Make sure to go to the riders meeting most of your questions will be answered there

gpTron

Oh man I really want to try this. I have no delusion of finishing anywhere except last - I just really want to experience a race at least once.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@FrankV where do you live?

I havent raced an enduro yet this year, but I find i go to my local park (wildcat) and I bomb the downhills and link them together....much like an enduro. If you have a park near you that you put a loop like that together...its good practice. And dont underestimate how significant fitness can be in an enduro. If your like me and your not the fastest/craziest downhiller....you can fudge that a little with fitness. Less so at a place like glen park or MC, but other places....I dont have talent like @Ryan.P, but in an enduro stage coming from XC...I never get tired....so I try to exploit that as much as possible.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh man I really want to try this. I have no delusion of finishing anywhere except last - I just really want to experience a race at least once.
This is more of a time trial, not really a race. Enduro racers line up and go down a segment individually, others go after you but the start times are staggered so as not to catch the person in front of you, although it can/does happen and the faster rider is allowed to go around the slower rider uncontested.

XC mtb racing is more of a traditional race in which your category lines up and goes off at the same time. This is head to head racing, which is usually more exciting from a competitive standpoint.

Either way, showing up for either takes a willingness to put what you have to the test and go as hard as you can, despite knowing the risks and getting graded based upon your performance. This is why a lot of people never race.

gpTron

This is more of a time trial, not really a race. Enduro racers line up and go down a segment individually, others go after you but the start times are staggered so as not to catch the person in front of you, although it can/does happen and the faster rider is allowed to go around the slower rider uncontested.

XC mtb racing is more of a traditional race in which your category lines up and goes off at the same time. This is head to head racing, which is usually more exciting from a competitive standpoint.

Either way, showing up for either takes a willingness to put what you have to the test and go as hard as you can, despite knowing the risks and getting graded based upon your performance. This is why a lot of people never race.
Dang, now I really want to try. Lemme check Airbnb to see what's avaliable next weekend...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Put a race on your calendar a few months out. It could change the way you eat and exercise!

so you get a baseline at this one, and then challenge yourself with the knowledge gained!

gpTron

Is this for Glen Park? That's not far from NJ, you can go out and back in a day if you want.
Welllll it'd be great to leave the kids with Nonna for the weekend while my wife and I spend the weekend in the Poconos while I simultaneously hate myself for finishing dead last after every stage.

I have a weird concept of fun...

Top Bottom