Before / After Workouts

bclinsure

I workout a lot during the week, doing stairmaster, situps and pushups and some barbell weights. I also mountain bike / road bike at least once a week. I'm in good shape but want to get really 'tight'. Can anyone recommend the best supplements / foods to eat before and after my daily workouts to get me 'tight'?

Thanks in advance.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
maybe you should ask these guys. :D
hans_franz.jpg

NJ Jess

rest

Sleeping 6-8 hours increases growth hormone,... As for supplements, I like whey protein in the morning.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
to get tight you're going to need less calorie intake. no amount of stairmaster/situps etc is going to get you shredded if you've got 2 inches of stuff sitting over everything.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What in the world does "tight" mean and what does it have to do with mountain biking?

Engignar

Hans and Franz

You are getting nonsense answers because your question is...let's say curiously phrased. I interpret this as you would like to gain muscle definition - cut, ripped, whatever. 6 pack abs and bulging triceps. There is nothing you can eat or drink that will help you get 'tight'. If anything, it's what you don't eat that will help the most. Sure, some whey protein after a hard lifting session is good for you and helps, but the protein without the lifting is just going to make you fatter.

Bottom line - You need to bust your ass. Stairmasters aren't gonna do it. Biking once a week ain't gonna do it. My advice is to hit the gym, hard, three times a week, working specific muscle groups each time and then letting them rest. If you have some insulation, some will turn to muscle from the lifting, you may burn some off, and some may need to be dieted away. It's gonna take time, don't expect results in a month. You could be amazed what can happen in a year though. Even with all that some people just aren't meant to be cut no matter how hard they try. Everyone's body is different.

Or maybe you want a different kind of 'tight'. Try kegels for that. No more hotdog in a hallway eh?

southernerinnj

I'm not sure why would respond if you have nothing constructive to say. Do you scour the website to find flaw in others questions?

I thought Norm was asking a relatively honest question.

I was curious myself as to what you meant as "tight". Personally I want to be rather flexible for mountain biking.

Also like he said being ripped and mountain biking don't really go hand in hand unless you mean ripped defined leg muscle structures then thats a different story. Yes there are alot of riders in great shape, but some of the best don't look that way from the torso up.

Not everyone all the time is trying to jump on people.

ellbiddy

i thought norm was asking a relatively honest question.

I was curious myself as to what you meant as "tight". Personally i want to be rather flexible for mountain biking.

Also like he said being ripped and mountain biking don't really go hand in hand unless you mean ripped defined leg muscle structures then thats a different story. Yes there are alot of riders in great shape, but some of the best don't look that way from the torso up.

Not everyone all the time is trying to jump on people.

Yeah....WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM!?

:rofl:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm not sure why would respond if you have nothing constructive to say. Do you scour the website to find flaw in others questions?

I thought Norm was asking a relatively honest question.

Yes, I was, relatively. This post is in "In the Saddle", specifically "Nutrition & Training". By extension, that means we ask questions about nutrition and training which can help us in the saddle.

Having said that, I ask myself what "tight" means. To me, tight on a mtb means really goddamn fast, using your brakes as little as possible, always on the gas, always hammering the turns, pedaling on the downhills, and so on. Just top notch, a-1, damn fast on the bike.

But. I get the feeling that this isn't your intention. So, I want to know what you mean by tight.

bclinsure

Meaning of 'Tight'

Ok, so I was a bit vague in what I meant by tight. I guess I was asking the best foods / supplements to eat before / after any type of workout to get the most out of the workout.

However, based on some the answers lead me to believe that if you are born to be a schlepp then you will be a schlepp.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Ok, so I was a bit vague in what I meant by tight. I guess I was asking the best foods / supplements to eat before / after any type of workout to get the most out of the workout.

I would never think of this being the def of tight. :rolleyes:

Ez-E

I would think tight meaning all your muscle are tight. But im guessing you mean lean muscle mass just need to watch your diet now matter how much you work out, and eat lots of protien.

Top Bottom