Beast from the East

I just picked up a Cannondale m800 yesterday for really cheap. Does any one have any info on why the bike is called the Beast from the East? I know its about some racer that was really good. lol

The Kalmyk

Very high bottom bracket on that bike...If i'm correct the Beast of the East feels like a big BMX bike

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
I just picked up a Cannondale m800 yesterday for really cheap. Does any one have any info on why the bike is called the Beast from the East? I know its about some racer that was really good. lol

I believe the original "Beast from the East" was Damon Bradshaw a Motocross/Supercross rider from the mid 80's who is now racing in the monster truck series. He will also be racing in the US Open of Motocross in Oct. in a special event with Jeff "Chicken" Matasivich (spell check on his last name) Utah Joe I'm sure would know Damon Bradshaw as well.

RC ... :)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
It was also used by Libor "The Bouncing Czech" as a trials frame. A high bottom bracket puts your weight over the rear axle when on rear wheel doing trialsy type stuff.

Here's a pic of Libor goofing around on Jeff Lenosky's bike...
libor_bike.jpg

-Jim.

don

I was looking at Canondale's Beast of the East years ago. It had a 26/24 configuration and was supposed to be awesome in the tight, rooty woods of New England.

This site might have some info:
http://vintagecannondale.com/

The Beast of the East I was talking about was from 1988: http://www.vintagecannondale.com/year/1988/1988.pdf. Actually in black - page 30 of 36. Looking at that '88 catalogue, C-dale had amazing looking colors and graphics that year. Some very cool looking bikes in there.

davos

I still own one..

thanks guys, i use to bmx a lot so i like the feel of it. It weighs like 20 lbs and it was only 50 bucks.

Guess it's not worth what I thought. If my memory serves me correctly something like 13 in bb height as opposed to 11 which was common.

Guess it's not worth what I thought. If my memory serves me correctly something like 13 in bb height as opposed to 11 which was common.

well i hope its worth alot more then 50 bucks after i fix it up because its really comfy and super light. It was at a yardsale theguy had no idea what he was selling so hopefully its worth something

Ian F

Funny... I did some mtn bike rides in Lebanon State Forest in the early 90's and remember one of the guys rode a Beast of the East.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
worth the $

Really good woods bike w/ an inch higher bb than a stock bike. They could climb over logs much like a 29er.

Some of these had 1-1/4 steerer tubes with Over-sized pepperoni forks. The last ones made were 1-1/8 with less stiff P-bone forks.

I would keep it rigid and cram the biggest, softest tires you can find in there.

j-

it is def staying rigid. At a weight of 24.14 lbs i find it really light. I'm just putting on some 2.1 panaracer xc pros on it. I wanna say its a 98 or 99. It has outdated deore xt components so i'm going to try to make it a SS but the rear wheel may not allow that ima check with the lbs to see what they say.

mwlikesbikes

Smoke & Dart were THE tireset to run for all around riding back in the old days. That's all I ran before I discovered Velociraptors.

don

Smoke & Dart were THE tireset to run for all around riding back in the old days. That's all I ran before I discovered Velociraptors.

nah, the tire to get was Conti's 2.1 Pro Comp II's up front and the 1.9 XC in the back. Perfect tire combo for sloppy rooty northeast sniggle. And the dark brown sidewalls looked dope.

Top Bottom