BearScat 50 Mountain Bike Endurance Race Information Thread - Race Date: 9/18/2021

onetracker

I hope friends, old and new will come join us for the 2021 edition of the BearScat 50! Going to be a great race with a big lap of 25 miles and some of the best singletrack in NJ! Come on out and roll with the fast folks or just test yourself against the Clock/Course.

1. Date: 9/18/2021
2. 50 or 25 mile option (course file will be posted soon)
3. Contactless registration & packet pickup (no day-of registration due to COVID19)
4. Registrants and Spectators MUST be vaccinated; honor code in play-proof will not be checked
5. Race this year is Self Supported, all racers required to use a Drop Bag. Emergency water may be located at the aid station if we can layout in a COVID19 friendly manner.
6. Lots of smiles and stories to be had at Wayway!!

Please come out and support grassroots endurance racing in NJ!!

1631029780183.png

orange seal logo.jpg

Last edited:
I rode the course this weekend. After 9yrs of doing the Bearscat and countless other Waywayanda races I thought I’d seen it all. I was wrong. It was great to ride “new” stuff and hit some oldies in a different direction.
I could be wrong but I think this course has a similar feel to what so many love about the Iron Furnace.
I’m shocked and disappointed more people haven’t registered. The 25 mile option is great option for the XC racer and the 50 is the most legit endurance mtb races within 3hrs of NYC.

I rode the course this weekend. After 9yrs of doing the Bearscat and countless other Waywayanda races I thought I’d seen it all. I was wrong. It was great to ride “new” stuff and hit some oldies in a different direction.
I could be wrong but I think this course has a similar feel to what so many love about the Iron Furnace.
I’m shocked and disappointed more people haven’t registered. The 25 mile option is great option for the XC racer and the 50 is the most legit endurance mtb races within 3hrs of NYC.
Amen! Forecast for Saturday looks perfect!!!

I know there wont be any food at the aid station, but will there be water? Also, is there a feed zone near the start/finish we can setup nutrition?

Bill said something about you carrying a bookbag filled with Swedish Fish and Red Bull so we can restock each time we lap you?
HHaaaaa I got the Swedish Fish covered. No Red Bull for you son. How many fish can i fit in a drop bag? Rest up son.

I know there wont be any food at the aid station, but will there be water? Also, is there a feed zone near the start/finish we can setup nutrition?
We are very grateful for all the racers signed up to date. This could be the last BS50. Please support grassroots endurance racing in NJ. It may not make sense to hold future BS50 events if interest is limited 😞

Really trying to keep folks safe!! Priority #1. There will be a limited supply of Kind Bars in case you get in trouble by the furnace. We are also trying to find a limited supply of gels. There will be water jugs by the furnance.

Due to COVID19: limited supplies, please social distance and be kind to each other. There will be no volunteer support 😞 at the aid station.

You will pass your car and can set up a feed in the area near the parking area along Waywanda Rd. Hope to see you!!

We are very grateful for all the racers signed up to date. This could be the last BS50. Please support grassroots endurance racing in NJ. It may not make sense to hold future BS50 events if interest is limited 😞

Really trying to keep folks safe!! Priority #1. There will be a limited supply of Kind Bars in case you get in trouble by the furnace. We are also trying to find a limited supply of gels. There will be water jugs by the furnance.

Due to COVID19: limited supplies, please social distance and be kind to each other. There will be no volunteer support 😞 at the aid station.

You will pass your car and can set up a feed in the area near the parking area along Waywanda Rd. Hope to see you!!
Thanks for the reply. Cya on Saturday.

What Stove are you packing for the water boil? I'm thinking a Pocket Rocket for weight, but the Windburner will boil in about 80% less time.
Hmm i haven't found a carbon stove yet. What are we having for lunch? Swedish Fish stew? I'll be waiting for you at the top of the 1st climb with lunch ready.

Just signed up for the 25 in an attempt to keep this going. Now to suck up to the wife today and tomorrow in an attempt to let me “race” (more like ride and let fast in shape ppl put me to shame. Dad bod is strong right now). We need to save bearscat! A lot of effort goes into getting permits, creating a course, trail maintenance, marking, getting insurance, timing, finding volunteers, coordinating with rescue staff the list goes on… I’d even suggest if you have the monetary means to donate to keep events like this alive in NJ. Once they are gone, it’s hard to build a relationship with the park to allow another race. Look what happened to Stephens this year.

I think next year without Covid restrictions this race will bounce back. I know a bunch of folks in my circles that can't go because they're not vaccinated (which is dumb) (not that you need to be, but that they aren't) (dumb) (call my boss IDGAF)

Anyway. Yeah. It's a hard sell this year with no things going on to really make it an event. I'm a fan of self-sufficient but a lot are not. Skinny guys like Frank need Aid Stations every 5 miles or they'll die because they don't have enough meat on their bones to go a full lap 🤣🤣🤣

I wonder if having this race earlier in the season would make a difference with attendance as well. Seems like the races March-May were sold out this year and the participation dwindled as the season continued.

I'd love to do BearScat but am injured and had to call it after Shenandoah 👎. Hope to do the race next year!

I think next year without Covid restrictions this race will bounce back. I know a bunch of folks in my circles that can't go because they're not vaccinated (which is dumb) (not that you need to be, but that they aren't) (dumb) (call my boss IDGAF)

Anyway. Yeah. It's a hard sell this year with no things going on to really make it an event. I'm a fan of self-sufficient but a lot are not. Skinny guys like Frank need Aid Stations every 5 miles or they'll die because they don't have enough meat on their bones to go a full lap 🤣🤣🤣
:hugs:HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I dont need the food, I just need the water. The bike I'm using only has one water bottle and I hate carrying water on my back. When you don't ride at a snails pace you sweat and need water. You better finish tomorrow before it gets too hot and you melt son. This isn't a sit and just spin 200k :banana:

I wonder if having this race earlier in the season would make a difference with attendance as well. Seems like the races March-May were sold out this year and the participation dwindled as the season continued.

I'd love to do BearScat but am injured and had to call it after Shenandoah 👎. Hope to do the race next year!
Injured at Shen?

You might be correct. This race did get better #s when it was in June. The club decided to add the Iron Furnace race give riders a slightly shorter event in the spring. Having both a month apart was tough for the club so they moved the BS to the fall.

Back
Top Bottom