Bearscat 2020 CANCELLED :(

Shaggz

A strong 7
First off please post under your actual name.
Why does this even matter? We all use monikers on this board. This may come as a surprise to you, my name is not really Shaggz.

For the record, I know the poster, his name is Tal.

Joe J

Why does this even matter? We all use monikers on this board. This may come as a surprise to you, my name is not really Shaggz.

For the record, I know the poster, his name is Tal.

Because people tend to say less stoopid shit when not hiding behind an alias.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
I just did a smallish trail running race today. And the whole time throughout parking/staging/starting/food-water stops/after-race area, I kept thinking "No fucking way this would work for any MTB or Cross race"
NJ Trail Series? I was surprised they ran the Wildcat race this year.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
NJ Trail Series? I was surprised they ran the Wildcat race this year.
Yeap. Pretty sure their first race since pre-covid.

Instead of the regular timed waves for the distance, they did a 25 person maximum (probably closer to 15 actual) for each wave. And it's chip based timing with the clock starting once you go over the mat so there wasn't any group going over, everyone very spaced. This method works well for trail races as on the trails you end up very spaced out from each other and there really isn't much person-to-person racing like you get with the pack racing in biking.

Masks required but honestly most people didn't have them on too much because most people were probably at least 12 feet from each other and not in one place for too long. Nobody really close to each other on the trails themselves.

Aid station extremely minimal. No cups, had to bring your own. It was suggested to bring all your own water and food, that's what I did with a hydration pack. They had one-time use snacks like small trail-mix packets, apple sauce packets, etc. Nobody handing you anything.

All things that if implemented at a mountain bike race would make it horrible.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Yeap. Pretty sure their first race since pre-covid.

Instead of the regular timed waves for the distance, they did a 25 person maximum (probably closer to 15 actual) for each wave. And it's chip based timing with the clock starting once you go over the mat so there wasn't any group going over, everyone very spaced. This method works well for trail races as on the trails you end up very spaced out from each other and there really isn't much person-to-person racing like you get with the pack racing in biking.

Masks required but honestly most people didn't have them on too much because most people were probably at least 12 feet from each other and not in one place for too long. Nobody really close to each other on the trails themselves.

Aid station extremely minimal. No cups, had to bring your own. It was suggested to bring all your own water and food, that's what I did with a hydration pack. They had one-time use snacks like small trail-mix packets, apple sauce packets, etc. Nobody handing you anything.

All things that if implemented at a mountain bike race would make it horrible.
I did that race a few years ago. Rick and Jen do a pretty good job limiting the aids (only at start\finish) and simple check points with chip. No volunteers, just follow the flags\white caulk.

If they used that school (middle or elementary I believe) the access point to and from gives good separation based on the washed out fire road. Some of the single track caused some blockage from the 2 laps I did (10ish mile loop).

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did that race a few years ago. Rick and Jen do a pretty good job limiting the aids (only at start\finish) and simple check points with chip. No volunteers, just follow the flags\white caulk.

If they used that school (middle or elementary I believe) the access point to and from gives good separation based on the washed out fire road. Some of the single track caused some blockage from the 2 laps I did (10ish mile loop).

I believe the fact that they spread that 10M race start over like a 6 hour period meant there wasn't much of a clog. And yeah, huge fire-road uphill start definitely allows a big spread at the beginning.

With this type of start, there's no real issue with who wins based on time, especially as you have the choice of when you can start. But MTB racing has variables of starting in the front, getting caught in traffic etc that would not allow an equal race for everyone with them starting whenever.

The_Mountainside_Menace

I believe the fact that they spread that 10M race start over like a 6 hour period meant there wasn't much of a clog. And yeah, huge fire-road uphill start definitely allows a big spread at the beginning.

With this type of start, there's no real issue with who wins based on time, especially as you have the choice of when you can start. But MTB racing has variables of starting in the front, getting caught in traffic etc that would not allow an equal race for everyone with them starting whenever.
I was riding wildcat following many of the yellow signs. At first, I thought I made a mistake riding there and was shocked the event happened, but they honestly did a great job spacing everyone out. Literally passed 2 runners on the course and that was it. I saw many through the trees, and all were very spaced out.

I was extremely tempted to snag some of the water at the rest station up at the dam because I was nearly out and only half way through my ride. I forgot how brutal 4 birds is. Totally cooked me.

I think MTB could do an endurance event similarly with proper timing, but it would feel more as riding solo the whole time. I also think MTB racing uses more racing tactics than running which leads to bunching. Seeing that lately I haven't been too fit, a mastery of sucking wheels with a strong rider to limit the overall effort has been key.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think MTB could do an endurance event similarly with proper timing, but it would feel more as riding solo the whole time. I also think MTB racing uses more racing tactics than running which leads to bunching. Seeing that lately I haven't been too fit, a mastery of sucking wheels with a strong rider to limit the overall effort has been key.

Yeah, that's the issue. There's no way around bunching up in MTB, especially on a multi-loop course. With running the speed differences aren't that great and in reality you're racing yourself more than other people.

The_Mountainside_Menace

Yeah, that's the issue. There's no way around bunching up in MTB, especially on a multi-loop course. With running the speed differences aren't that great and in reality you're racing yourself more than other people.
The main takeaway is that if we wanted to put on these events, it could potentially ruin our relationship as promoters with the park systems, which we would never recover from.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

We have guidance from the NFHS on running XC races this year.
Grid start - 6' boxes - teams start in a line, rather than across. Teams can be "close" together just prior to the start.
Gun start, Chip timed, with video at the finish. (it is a race, not a time trial)
No finishing chute (we used to pull bib tags for processing, and use video timing, rather than chip)
Expanded width finish line - not that the kids can be expected not to cut each other off - they like that. (arm bar is illegal, but if you have a step..)

There will be no 350 person races - typically JV we let teams put in as many runners as they'd like. Not sure what the limit will be, but i'd
expect 15 teams w/7 runners - so manageable.

No state championship - perhaps counties/conference. They are talking about using qualifying times for sectionals to cut down on participants.

I'm wearing a mask, and I better not get thrown-up on. again.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
We have guidance from the NFHS on running XC races this year.
Grid start - 6' boxes - teams start in a line, rather than across. Teams can be "close" together just prior to the start.
Gun start, Chip timed, with video at the finish. (it is a race, not a time trial)
No finishing chute (we used to pull bib tags for processing, and use video timing, rather than chip)
Expanded width finish line - not that the kids can be expected not to cut each other off - they like that. (arm bar is illegal, but if you have a step..)

There will be no 350 person races - typically JV we let teams put in as many runners as they'd like. Not sure what the limit will be, but i'd
expect 15 teams w/7 runners - so manageable.

No state championship - perhaps counties/conference. They are talking about using qualifying times for sectionals to cut down on participants.

I'm wearing a mask, and I better not get thrown-up on. again.
So just the teams will be racing against each other?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So just the teams will be racing against each other?

there are both individual and team awards - up to the coach to put them in an order where the possibility of them stepping on each other is minimized.
although good teams run together and take turns breaking the wind. In reality, there are 2 or 3 standout runners, the a handful of seconds separate the next bunch of places.
Then a blob.

Joe J

Didn't realize simply stating an opinion got this treatment. Also, my comment wasn't focused on an individual. Perhaps you have anger issues.

No your comments were directed at a whole group of individuals. That you owe a public apology.

Top Bottom