Bear incident at the Jungle

Good idea to consider bells, for our safty and that of the bears. I feel bad that this momma of 3 cubs may be put down. She has every right to protect her territory and young.

Man this sucks we build in the bear areas and can not imagine why they come down. this is the same thing with the deer we keep putting condos in their natural habitat and then we wonder why they are in our neighbor hoods...

Laser guided bear buster bomb. Bear chunks everywhere - BBQed.

Seriously, I feel for the hiker, dog, bear and cubs. Being a city boy, I was terrified by the first few run ins with da bears in Waway but now consider them as natural there as rock gardens.

Last year I was a few inches away from running over a decent sized bear on Sitting Bear - he jumped into the bushes to get out of my way. Then I ran into one trying to cross the armored bridge on Rattlesnake as I was trying to cross in the opposite direction. Fortunately for me, he yielded the bridge to me and walked in a circle around me as I crossed (I heard the racket he made in the woods)

My rules while riding Waway are (1) no food on my person or bike and (2) no sweet smelling bug sprays

p.s. the mangrove swamp-like tunnel on Split Rock is actually a bear tunnel, created by bears moving through the swamp. Heard this from the man himself

just saw this on the NJH article from the locked thread...

While the park is open, he said, the trail in question is closed until the area is deemed safe.

and what trail will this be?

I dont think this bear should be destroyed. In my opinion if you hike/bike in bear terrority then you assume the risks.

I dont think this bear should be destroyed. In my opinion if you hike/bike in bear terrority then you assume the risks.

point, we all share this land right? and i believe in animal rights and that hunting is bad, but when a bear gives you no sign of warning and charges after you and mals a dog and a person, do you think that bear should be given the right to be around. if the bear is tagged, the bear was already given a chance and was relocated, now it attacked someone and the right actions need to be taken to protect not only our safety, but the other animals safety as well as the neighborhoods by warthog. think of it as a person beating on you... would you want them around you and others again? and just moving him away isnt solving the problem that he is aggressive.

A bear is a wild animal with primal instincs. No such thing as giving or not giving the animal a chance. The bear acted like it is programmed to do.

Are the bells loud enough to serve as a warning to oncoming cyclists?

I had a near miss at 6MR yeserday. My fault for not calling out as I went around a blind corner. However, the guy coming the other way whistled as his warning. When I heard the whistle I was thinking "Hmmm....never heard that kind of bird in 6MR before..." next thing I know this guy is coming down a steep little descent with wheels locked trying to avoid the collision. So I was yelling all day today :D

point, we all share this land right? and i believe in animal rights and that hunting is bad, but when a bear gives you no sign of warning and charges after you and mals a dog and a person, do you think that bear should be given the right to be around. if the bear is tagged, the bear was already given a chance and was relocated, now it attacked someone and the right actions need to be taken to protect not only our safety, but the other animals safety as well as the neighborhoods by warthog. think of it as a person beating on you... would you want them around you and others again? and just moving him away isnt solving the problem that he is aggressive.

I see your point and agree to what you are saying to a certain extent but its not like the bear was walking down main street or that the bear was breaking into homes and attacking people. The bear was in his natural habitat; one that a human ventured into.

Are the bells loud enough to serve as a warning to oncoming cyclists?

I had a near miss at 6MR yeserday. My fault for not calling out as I went around a blind corner. However, the guy coming the other way whistled as his warning. When I heard the whistle I was thinking "Hmmm....never heard that kind of bird in 6MR before..." next thing I know this guy is coming down a steep little descent with wheels locked trying to avoid the collision. So I was yelling all day today :D

I've only used the bear bell riding the canal path. I did a test with my riding partner while he was riding ahead of me. He was able to hear it from about 50 feet. It will be heard even further if you're in the woods on rougher terrain.

A bear is a wild animal with primal instincs. No such thing as giving or not giving the animal a chance. The bear acted like it is programmed to do.

the normal behavior of a "typical black bear" is to trot away from humans. its when humans habituate a bear, either through active feeding or passive sloppy garbage storage, they associate humans as a food source. when that happens the typical behavior changes and bear encounters occur.

want to help a bear? don't gape at them and say "aw how cute" as youre chompin away on your wonderfully fruity-smelling clif bloks. make yourself frightening. scare them off immediately. toss a rock in their general direction.

its a schitty situation all around, and a byproduct of the modern world we live in. however when a bear decides its going to actively seek out humans for food (either due to the nice smelling energy bars on your back, or because you're looking mighty tasty in that spandex), that bear cannot survive in NJ and it will ultimately end up dead as policy.

people can say that's wrong all they want but the fact remains its policy of NJ and most states. if you want to change things, contact the governor. expressing your displeasure here does nothing except make one feel better about oneself. talk will not prevent this or any other bear being from being trapped and euthanized. talk != action

think about it.

Last edited:
meanwhile, mama & cubs are still out there

saw them yesterday, SW corner of the park, on the trail almost by the stream beds/rock gardens. Jr ran in front of me, Mama not amused but willing to let me turn around & go back the way I came without bothering to chase.

saw them yesterday, SW corner of the park, on the trail almost by the stream beds/rock gardens. Jr ran in front of me, Mama not amused but willing to let me turn around & go back the way I came without bothering to chase.

Was there today (8/29/10). We were coming down the orange trail from the trail head to the big parking lot. Once we got to the end of the orange trail, in the woods across the paved road was a mama bear and a few cubs. I didn't stay long enough to see how many there were, I just noticed that there were several black furry bodies in the woods and we skedaddled as quickly as we could towards the white trial.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions