Bear incident at the Jungle

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
I'm picturing a rug. ;)

Last I heard there were "only" four bears in JH anyway; a sow and two cubs and a rogue male who's always trying to get into the dumpster at the South Shore (or whatever it's called now ;)).

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i should have went to JH on Sunday. I could have had a triple bear sighting weekend. Friday - 1 male at KVSP, Saturday 1 female and 2 cubs at Ringwood.

xc62701

The last I heard was there was a population of 16 bears at JH. I think I've seen all of them :) If you really want some bear sightings go up to Waway and ride for a bit. You'll see them. I get to see them probably every other ride.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
The dog, a grayhound, is in very bad shape. My wife works in the local animal hospital and the dog was in surgery last night. I'll know later when my wife goes back to work. I don't know what happened to the owner and I'm not going to speculate on rumors because the info I'm getting is conflicting.

I also got 3rd hand info about another local that owns 3 bernese mtn dogs that got chased by a bear recently also in JH. It all sounds like the same double tagged Cat 1** bear.

**Sources tell me that if the bear escapes capture, he's moving up to Semi-Pro next season.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
I'm picturing a rug. ;)

Last I heard there were "only" four bears in JH anyway; a sow and two cubs and a rogue male who's always trying to get into the dumpster at the South Shore (or whatever it's called now ;)).

Joe, given the current circumstances, I have this sudden urge to ride lead on the beginner rides. Can you start sweeping until further notice? ;)

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Thanks Mergs...Re: Cat1
I was already picturing the bear with the full MTBNJ outfit and a 29er on the side :rolleyes:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG

no, this is the attack. they're calling it ringwood, but that's technically incorrect. its the jungle habitat section of Long Pond Ironworks SP. unless you live around here and use the parks i can see how you can get that point wrong esp due to the fact that Ringwood SP oversees JH.

coincidentally, i ran into her and her 3 cubs on warthog (white) on Monday night this week. she was big and she was calmly sitting on her rump with the 3 cubs teaching them a life skill: flipping over our rock armoring, gathering tasty treats underneath.

i scared them off with shouts and arm waving and they trotted off casually, perhaps the cubs were a little more quick to jet off. i took no joy in this but did it only to instill a little fear because once they no longer fear humans they end up in trouble.

when it happened i was really glad i didn't have misty with me. she sometimes takes off for bears. i saw a saying online: "dogs will start it, but the bear will finish it."

monteverest

"the hiker came upon the bear as he was walking down the trail and that the bear suddenly charged" - yikes. Very odd the bear didn't give any warning. I've been charged twice in Waway and on both occasions received warning before the charge. After the second charge, I rode with bear bells for 2 years.

Black bears are not known to be protective of their young or food source, unlike grizzlies. Somehow the bear must have felt very threatened - no, I'm not blaming the hiker - but the mix of circumstances (surprise, no perceived exit path, or the hiker was on high ground relative to the bear, etc)

Ride with bear bells!

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
i didnt even know those existed:hmmm:
481.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions