Bear Attack at Splitrock

Dude man walked into a cave? If that's true, well...

Hopefully the guy is OK

I was out there at the time. Charlottesburg Rd was swamped with police and various emergency vehicles. There was a chopper circling around overhead presumably looking for the victim. Didn't realize it was a bear attack until I headed back toward split rock and talked to some of the ambulance people.

Dude man walked into a cave? If that's true, well...

Hopefully the guy is OK
I will say it , what do you expect . thats like swimming in a pond in south florida thinking there are no gators . If its true he is a dumb ass .

Reactions: rlb
NY news is reporting it as "bear drags man into cave" on their teasers as if the guy was just walking along minding his own business when the bear attacked. Sheesh what crap

Those scouts will have the greatest story to tell for the rest of their lives. I thought my story about our troop leader, Mr Conti setting himself on fire while he was teaching my troop fire safety was a cool story. Nope ! Having your troop leader crawl headfirst into a bear den and then having to lay next to the great beast who was planning to eat him for breakfast tops any stupid fire starting mishap story. Good work dude, you've made a few prepubescent boys Christmas wishes come true and their future holiday memories will always be brighten with their retelling of your exploits. Truthfully the world needs more morons like you to distract us from the true horror of the world. Do you work birthday parties or bar mitzvahs ?

weird thing about this story is that it is one adult with three kids; Boy Scouts say it wasn't an official Boy Scout event and it is unclear from the news stories about whether one of the boys was the leader's son, but typically for any type of activity with kids you always make sure you have two adults - for everyone's protection.

Very glad no one was really seriously hurt.

weird thing about this story is that it is one adult with three kids; Boy Scouts say it wasn't an official Boy Scout event and it is unclear from the news stories about whether one of the boys was the leader's son, but typically for any type of activity with kids you always make sure you have two adults - for everyone's protection.

Very glad no one was really seriously hurt.

I imagine the way it went was more or less like this (since I've seen this first hand). Some scout dad plans 900 scout events a year. Scouts start giving up when you have boy scout events 6 days a week. So they get the kids to stay by saying to just go to the ones you want. Scout dad plans event, nobody shows. Ends up going for hike with his kid and 2 of his friends.

I mean we did this, but it ended up being 3 kids and 3 adults. But the "troop" turns into a few people pretty fast when you have so many events a year.

Well that's a damn shame. "A scout is trustworthy, loyal...." I mean if we can't uphold these two why even go on?

I had a good bear/leader story from a hiking trip in high point, worthless to tell it now!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions