Bear at High Bridge Flow Trail

serviceguy

Please continue promoting the notion that mountain bikers are dicks. Everyone jump on the guy who just wants to give people a heads up that a bear was sighted at the flow trails... Near the pump track... Where kids hang out.

Yes. There are bears in the woods. Thank you all for that clarification. I wasn't aware of that fact. 🙄 Maybe I should stick to knitting.

And as a general rule, if I encounter a bear in the woods, I tend to give anyone I pass on the trails a heads up. Hell... I give people a heads up if there's a dog on the trails. I just consider it doing something nice for other trail users. This is just what this guy was trying to do.
People are dicks, MTBers are people hence MTBers are dicks. Some are more a dick than others...dicker, dickerer :shrug:

Give a fair warning in case of a close sighting is the right thing to do IMHO, if that student in West Milford had listened to the hikers warning that there was a bear on the trail he would probably be still alive, and so would be the bear that killed him. You can bring a horse to the water but you can't make it drink.

Doesn't matter how many bears are out there, they're still wild animals and I will always welcome the heads up that one maybe closer than usual.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yeah totally the same density of forest, there's no roads surrounding High Bridge at all.

You're right, good point bud.
It was a serious question. Voorhees and that other wildlife area are less than a half mile from there. Sure it isn't Stephens, but it also isn't like seeing a bear in Trenton.

Cassinonorth

It was a serious question. Voorhees and that other wildlife area are less than a half mile from there. Sure it isn't Stephens, but it also isn't like seeing a bear in Trenton.

Certainly not a city, but there's some residential streets in the immediate vicinity and the flow trails are a relatively small tract of land for a bear to be in. Everyone has different tolerances to wildlife, a notice is a good thing so people can avoid them if they don't feel comfortable.

mwlikesbikes

At least it’s not in 6 Miles

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
At least it’s not in 6 Miles

i think we all owe RonC an apology after that one. 🤔

washedupbmxer

I encountered a bear on Chip's Trail late morning this past Saturday on 9/18. Fortunately for me, it scooted away when I dropped an f-bomb in astonishment. I was alone and maybe 20 yards from it when we saw each other so I don't think I had much of a chance if it decided to show any interest in me. I have been riding trails for 40+ years. I live in Lawrenceville now (originally from Brooklyn), so a bear encounter is unique for me. Do people who ride in bear country normally carry anything with them for such encounters? I would definitely like to be better prepared for the next time.

Epilogue... Later that ride I wrecked at the drop-off near the pink flamingo. With help from @thegock (and his friend who's name I forgot in the fog of my injuries) I was able to get back to my car in the lower nassau lot. I was bloodied and had duct tape around my knee to cover the layer of fat exposed by one of my cuts. There was a family with 2 small kids getting ready to ride so trying to warn them about the bear without making them think I was actually attacked by said bear was a lot of fun.

By the way, I can't thank @thegock and his friend enough for their help. I was lucky you guys were there to help me.

thegock

I encountered a bear on Chip's Trail late morning this past Saturday on 9/18. Fortunately for me, it scooted away when I dropped an f-bomb in astonishment. I was alone and maybe 20 yards from it when we saw each other so I don't think I had much of a chance if it decided to show any interest in me. I have been riding trails for 40+ years. I live in Lawrenceville now (originally from Brooklyn), so a bear encounter is unique for me. Do people who ride in bear country normally carry anything with them for such encounters? I would definitely like to be better prepared for the next time.

Epilogue... Later that ride I wrecked at the drop-off near the pink flamingo. With help from @thegock (and his friend who's name I forgot in the fog of my injuries) I was able to get back to my car in the lower nassau lot. I was bloodied and had duct tape around my knee to cover the layer of fat exposed by one of my cuts. There was a family with 2 small kids getting ready to ride so trying to warn them about the bear without making them think I was actually attacked by said bear was a lot of fun.

By the way, I can't thank @thegock and his friend enough for their help. I was lucky you guys were there to help me.

Ur welcome---that was Russ doing the nurse work. We saw another guy in the lot in which we parked after I left you at ur car Saturday, who also saw the bear on the "original" Nassau trails. How many stitches did you get on ur knee?

This picture is of the ledge about 48 minutes before you launched:

FLAM INGO PXL_20210918_153051708.MP-01.jpg

mtn

No because black bears are afraid of humans. If they are out in a wildlife setting, they are not going to be aggressive. Just make yourself look big, yell, or make noise.

Top Bottom