Bear at High Bridge Flow Trail

Kaleidopete

I saw a bear at the Tourne and they closed the park for 2 weeks. Funny thing is I haven't "seen " another one in any park I've ridden since then. Weird.
wwbear.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It always makes me laugh out loud when someone post a bear sighting, why no love for the fox bobcat coyote porcupine raccoon and other forest dwellers. Maybe If bears scare you you should stick to sidewalks malls bowling alleys and movie theaters, they're much safer 😆

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Please continue promoting the notion that mountain bikers are dicks. Everyone jump on the guy who just wants to give people a heads up that a bear was sighted at the flow trails... Near the pump track... Where kids hang out.

Yes. There are bears in the woods. Thank you all for that clarification. I wasn't aware of that fact. 🙄 Maybe I should stick to knitting.

And as a general rule, if I encounter a bear in the woods, I tend to give anyone I pass on the trails a heads up. Hell... I give people a heads up if there's a dog on the trails. I just consider it doing something nice for other trail users. This is just what this guy was trying to do.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I once brought a tuna melt in wrapped in foil to a ride at Allamuchy. When We stopped to eat lunch a bear found us quickly and began walking towards us. I left the sandwich behind. He ate it for sure.

Bears are not harmless and they need some respect. If they wanted to eat a person they would. Luckily they seem to prefer tuna.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Everyone jump on the guy who just wants to give people a heads up that a bear was sighted at the flow trails... Near the pump track... Where kids hang out.
Do bears especially like to eat children at pump tracks 🤣

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Easy up here buddy. It’s impossible to get women involved in this sport. Let’s embrace those who are engaged.
Fair enough
I was just making light of the topic
Bears are more interested in berries and garbage but most definitely more scared of us then us of them, well most of us. I grew up well deep in bear country all my life so it its natural to have my reaction. If anything I am stating the obvious, see bear watch bear and move on. Name calling is only going to induce my reaction.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I once brought a tuna melt in wrapped in foil to a ride at Allamuchy. When We stopped to eat lunch a bear found us quickly and began walking towards us. I left the sandwich behind. He ate it for sure.

I'm sure you meant well, but it is not good to get wild animals (bear) used to human food. It's mostly the reason we hang our food up .. not to protect us from bears, but to protect the bears from us. If a bear gets too comfortable hanging out by humans or human food, there's a fair chance it can be put down.

Bear attacks in NJ are super rare but it can happen, especially if you don't know what to do when you see them.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I'm sure you meant well, but it is not good to get wild animals (bear) used to human food. It's mostly the reason we hang our food up .. not to protect us from bears, but to protect the bears from us. If a bear gets too comfortable hanging out by humans or human food, there's a fair chance it can be put down.

Bear attacks in NJ are super rare but it can happen, especially if you don't know what to do when you see them.

I wasn't trying to feed it.. I was trying not to be his lunch.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Did you try reasoning with the bear? Maybe if you explained that the tuna would ironically kill him, he would have let you have it back.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

My bad for misunderstanding, but I still think it's not the best course of action unless it is a last ditch effort kind of thing .. i.e. you yell at it enough and it still doesn't want to go away. My understanding is that the best deterrent against bears is the human voice. Other than what I mentioned already about getting them used to human food, what happens when the bear finishes the sandwich? Maybe it chases after you thinking you have more.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My bad for misunderstanding, but I still think it's not the best course of action unless it is a last ditch effort kind of thing .. i.e. you yell at it enough and it still doesn't want to go away. My understanding is that the best deterrent against bears is the human voice. Other than what I mentioned already about getting them used to human food, what happens when the bear finishes the sandwich? Maybe it chases after you thinking you have more.

Given that he’s responding to this thread, I’m thinking your last situation did not happen. Unless he’s texting while running from the bear, in which case maybe he should drop the phone.

If his next text is SEND MOAR HONEE I think the bear won.

Top Bottom