Bash Guard / Chain ring question

HybridR7

Ok, so what's the opinion if you have a intermediate bike with all 3 gears riveted together? Can you remove the 3rd gear still or just take a dremel to the teeth and use the 3rd gear as a bash guard that won't hang up on logs?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
To actually add value for once:

I installed a bashgaurd after bending my big ring. I was riding at six mile and my rear tire slipped off one of the railroad tie bridges. I did the big ring equivalent of a skateboard rail slide (y'know, sideways slide across with the bike straddling the bridge). It bent a few teeth. This was before the railroad ties were widened with the short boards on top.

Anyway, I put on a raceface bash ring and I am really happy with it. It is pretty small (just a bit bigger than my middle ring), tough, relatively light, and increases my effective clearance vs. running a big ring. I haven't "bashed" it into anything, but when it does brush an obstacle, it slides over easily, rather than grabbing like the teeth on the ring do.

As others have mentioned, the best way to protect the drivetrain (and bb and cranks and bike) is technique - my bashguard is there for when my technique or judgement fails, not as a crutch to grind over anything in the way.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
So i am considering getting a bash guard. I have not used the largest ring since......so long i cant even remember. So i am willing to sacrifice those gears for a little protection. Even if its just the mental aspect of knowing i wont get caught up on any huge logs, rocks, or whatever, i want to try it.

So here is the question. I was debating replacing the stock 34 tooth ring in the middle with a 36 tooth to give me a little higher of a gear just in case i find myself flying down a hill looking for a higher gear...
Is this a bad idea? Am i missing something here?
Also, the ring i am looking at is 104mm - And all the bash guards i am seeing are only 104mm. So here is a dumb question. Will they fit with each other or do i need a bash guard bigger then the 104mm that is the chainring?

Another vote for the bash guard. I rode with the large chainring for many years and then replaced it with a small diameter bashguard last year. I have not looked back.

Everything is a trade off -- if you ride in a really fast non-tech park most of the time, keep the chainring. If you ride in places like Allamuchy or Jungle Habitat, the bash guard is your friend. And, it is not a "final" decision. If you find yourself going to go to a fast non-techy park, throw the chainring back on -- it only takes 5 minutes to change out.

I got my bashguard from a company called BBG -- some mountain biker who made them in his garage for $12 plus $4 shipping. And they look nice, too. Here is the link: http://www.bbgbashguard.com/

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I vote for

A) learning how to hop logs as to not hit the ring in the first place.
B) get fit enough to actually use the big ring as a gear option like it was designed for;)

-Jim.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I vote for

A) learning how to hop logs as to not hit the ring in the first place.
B) get fit enough to actually use the big ring as a gear option like it was designed for;)

-Jim.

Yea yea - I'm working on A and B....:drooling:

Until then, ill use the bash guard....

jwave

SS Bashguard?

I've returned to mountainbiking after a 10-year break. (My earlier experience was in college @ R. U. where I fondly recall buzzing the ecological preserve on my fully rigid trek 930 -- later stolen by some bastard-- followed by nursing my bruises with pints at Ale & Wich). Anyway, I just picked up a Monocog 29er -- back to being fully rigid for the time being :( -- and wanted to know what peoples' views are about installing bashguards on 32T single chainring. What works? What doesn't? (links to any recommended products are welcomed). Thanks!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I've returned to mountainbiking after a 10-year break. (My earlier experience was in college @ R. U. where I fondly recall buzzing the ecological preserve on my fully rigid trek 930 -- later stolen by some bastard-- followed by nursing my bruises with pints at Ale & Wich). Anyway, I just picked up a Monocog 29er -- back to being fully rigid for the time being :( -- and wanted to know what peoples' views are about installing bashguards on 32T single chainring. What works? What doesn't? (links to any recommended products are welcomed). Thanks!

is there room for a bash ring on a monocog? i figure because it is a singlespeed specific bike, you may need to change up the crank set up to have something to bolt the bash ring to. i'm sure someone else will know better than i about the monocog in particular.

my singlespeed was built up from a geared bike, so i had kept the old cranks on there and replaced the large ring with a bashring (so i didnt have to buy cranks or change them, i just tossed on a new outerring.

but with the way the monocog is set up, i don't know if you would necessarily 'need' a bash ring. if you really feel the need to have one - i use a race face - works nice. but for the monocog, i would personally pass on a bash ring.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG

You don't really need the bashguard for the Monocog. I have the Monocog 29er and there is enough clearance on that bike.

But if you do add a bashguard, you are going to need longer chainring bolts.

Enjoy the Monocog!

phathucker

i like the plastic bash guards better, It sounds contradictive but ive tried the raceface ones and if you hit rocks you can feel the bash guard transferring the energy straight to the crank. I have an e-13, and you can feel the plastic absorbing some of the impact.

Top Bottom